Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 07:13   #1
BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Hi folks,

Our 8-year-old direct-cool Samsung smallish (170 liters I think) refrigerator is small for us now and does not cool too well either. I was looking for a larger one in the range of 12K to 18K or so and I was just lost in the plethora of terms for door cooling, quick ice, et al. With the makes and models available in the market, I think it is easier to buy a car than a refrigerator!

Basically I am looking for a larger fridge that can cool evenly, have a really good freezer/meat compartment. Can I get a double door --- side-by-side door types in this price range? Which ones would you recommend from personal experience? Which brands and models?
Old 16th April 2007, 07:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Whirlpool has been very good. Its 4 years now and shifted half a dozen houses. No problem. Recommended.
Old 16th April 2007, 08:50   #3
BHPian

LG's good too. They also make their own compressors unlike Videocon which use the Samsung ones.
Old 16th April 2007, 09:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

johy,

1. what are the dimensions of the old frindge. the new one might have to fit in th same place. so measure how large your new fridge should be (open and closed).

2. LG has a series with wire shelves which wont break compared the acrylic or glass shelves. The disadvantage is that any leak is not contained to that shelf. One can offset this disadvantage by keep all liquids on the lowest shelf.

3. Under 18K I would consider the LG 265/266/325/326, Samsung RT28/31/34, Toshiba GRH32UT, or the Whirlpool. You should get a fridge in the range of 270-320 liters. Each of these will occupy about 4 sq. ft. of floor space (2ft x 2ft).

4. side by side fridge are more suitbale when you need a larger freezer section. They usually have a 1/3 - 2/3 ratio. For India LG and Samsung (and I assume the others too) offer fridges that are have a 1/4 - 3/4 ratio. I dont know of any side by side under 40K.

Last edited by navin : 16th April 2007 at 09:12.
Old 16th April 2007, 10:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
johy,

1. what are the dimensions of the old frindge. the new one might have to fit in th same place. so measure how large your new fridge should be (open and closed).

4. side by side fridge are more suitbale when you need a larger freezer section. They usually have a 1/3 - 2/3 ratio. For India LG and Samsung (and I assume the others too) offer fridges that are have a 1/4 - 3/4 ratio. I dont know of any side by side under 40K.
Thanks folks,

I asked and yes the side-by-side-door models is still going to be an elusive dream for the moment. The one I liked, Electrolux, is well over 80K

Ozone Side By Side, Extra Space. Extra features - Electrolux

Real estate is not much of a problem Navin sir, lots of space where the present fridge smaller is. Yes, I am going to look at the sub 18K models. Has anyone some experience with Electrolux Steel Ozone steel? Ozone Steel, Preserves taste and nutrition for longer - Electrolux

The luxury one is selling for 14990/- and the premium one for 12990/-. I have not looked at one yet, but the door has a steel sheet and finish. Also, there they are claiming 360 degrees air power (to get rid of hot spots) - and this is pretty important for me.

@kutlee - I think things have changed over 4 years - with loads and loads of fridges available. That is the problem. Once upon a time there were no choices and we were a happy race of people

@sujaylahiri - I will ask about LG.
Old 16th April 2007, 10:26   #6
BHPian

what ever you choose make sure there is proper utilization of space inside. I won't name the refri but their 300+ and 200+ litres had almost same space with significant price difference.
Old 16th April 2007, 11:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Real estate is not much of a problem Navin sir, lots of space where the present fridge smaller is. Yes, I am going to look at the sub 18K models..
If you prefer Electrolux the DFF40 is the one to get. Either than or any of the 4 I listend earlier but at 18K I would expect not more than 320 liters (LG 325/326, Samsung RT31, Toshiba 32, etc...).

Last edited by navin : 16th April 2007 at 11:37.
Old 16th April 2007, 11:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Side by side is not really useful, from personal experience. Instead go for the ones which have the refridgerator compartment on top and a pull-out freezer unit below that features 3 or 4 separate freezer compartments.

You need to look at 450 lts plus capacity to have usable refridgerator space in a side-by side. Indian eating and cooking habits do not involve a huge amount of frozen stuff, so you're likely to be stuck with wasted freezer space.
Old 16th April 2007, 11:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indian eating and cooking habits do not involve a huge amount of frozen stuff, so you're likely to be stuck with wasted freezer space.
Yup, a very important thing to note when you are buying a refrigerator. I can vaguely recall BPL having a model that could turn your freezer into a chiller when you dont need it. See if there is something like that. could be pretty useful.
Old 16th April 2007, 12:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is an interesting site you can try out: India's shopping & price comparison site, consumer buying guide - Compareindia
Buy one which suits your usage, but buy a frost-free model and the high price is worth it.
My perception about brands (IMHO only): Samsung makes good-looking models. Cooling wise I would trust Electrolux (last heard the company was in trouble in India). But overall the package seems to be good from Whirlpool. My next choice would be Samsung.
Old 16th April 2007, 13:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
BPL having a model that could turn your freezer into a chiller .
It was a 350 litre model.

Freezer at the bottom does make a lot of sense. We use one. It raises the vegetable tray to waist level and this means my wife does not have to bend. esp since freezer is less used in India but most freezer at the bottom models are a) more than 450 liters b) more than 40K in price.
Old 17th April 2007, 05:50   #12
BHPian

Slightly off topic but one of the earliest Indian companies to make refrigerators was Sur, based in Calcutta. They were 100% steel and did not have the coloured coating on them. You might still find some of them in the sweet shops in and around Calcutta.
Old 17th April 2007, 13:00   #13
BHPian

I bought a Samsung 360 eight years back. It cooled really well, and still does, but it had a design defect, colling was not uniform due to blockage by ice formation in the ducts between fridge and freezer sections. This happened every summer, untill four years back when they installed something that corrected this. The shelves also tend to crack, and the compressor is now a bit noisy. The door is looking really shabby, and is difficult to keep clean. I believe the new Samsungs now have addressed these problems.

However purchased an LG 310 litres two years ago. The cooling is phenomenal, it's silent and I really have no problems with it. Still looks like new.

Both fridges are being used without a stabiliser.
Old 17th April 2007, 19:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Thanks folks,

Electrolux Steel Ozone steel? Ozone Steel, Preserves taste and nutrition for longer - Electrolux
For peace of mind, pls avoid electrolux.......
Old 17th April 2007, 20:10   #15
BHPian

I have a 165 L Alwyn fridge at home which is running for 20 years! Only once gas was refilled and the fridge was painted. Otherwise perfect.

My experience with Godrej fridge is not good.

Most Viewed