Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

USB Car charger not working

The cigarette lighter in my Baleno seems to be working fine.. i.e. it heats up when I press it. However, when I connect the USB car charger thingy, it refuses to charge. The light on the charger does not glow at all and no power seems to come out of it, no matter how much I try rotating it around to ensure proper contact.

Is there any modification needed to be done in the cigarette lighter? or is it possible that the charger isnt working and I have to buy a new one...

PS: Dont ask me to use nerdy tools like voltmeter etc.. I dont have them handy
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

got to a car electrician he will fix it properly...without damaging anything if you dont know......
Old 23rd April 2007, 11:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
The cigarette lighter in my Baleno seems to be working fine.. i.e. it heats up when I press it. However, when I connect the USB car charger thingy, it refuses to charge. The light on the charger does not glow at all and no power seems to come out of it, no matter how much I try rotating it around to ensure proper contact.

Is there any modification needed to be done in the cigarette lighter? or is it possible that the charger isnt working and I have to buy a new one...

There is no modificarion needed to be done. Check whether the USB charger is not faulty. Check in someone else's car.
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
There is no modificarion needed to be done. Check whether the USB charger is not faulty. Check in someone else's car.
Thanks.. BTW, This is for the PocketPC (I had one alreadt) + BT GPS that I bought recently from Chipsilicon .. Looks like they supplied me a dud car charger.
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.. BTW, This is for the PocketPC (I had one alreadt) + BT GPS that I bought recently from Chipsilicon .. Looks like they supplied me a dud car charger.
Hey spadival. I have the same BT GPS from chipsilicon and if you are trying to charge the SIRF III chip , I know what problem you are facing. Its not a dud charger but the charging of the battery of the SIRF module doesnt start till the battery is below a certain level. Leave the SIRF chip on for like 3-4 hours and then check. I am using it with my O2 xda atom and i checked the charger by chaging my pocket PC using the same charger . So dont get worried and try what I am suggesting . To confirm this just put the USB cable in your PC USB port and see if the chip starts charing, if it does not then it is the case I am talking about. I hope it helps
Old 24th April 2007, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes. I tested this out and it doesnt charge my phone as well. So its a problem with the charger.
Old 24th April 2007, 14:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I tested this out and it doesnt charge my phone as well. So its a problem with the charger.
Then go for a new car charger. If it is possible get a motorola razor charger. It works wonderfully with any mini USB chargable device.
Old 25th April 2007, 19:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

since I have an ipod as well connected to the HU via a DIN, I am getting an ipod charger off ebay.in.. This can be used as a USB charger as well for my phone and GPS. .. After all this charging, I hope there is enough juice in the battery to crank the engine
Old 25th April 2007, 23:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

The ipod charger went up in smoke as soon as I connected it :(.. There is definetely something wrong with the lighter. I need to get it checked.. though it functions perfectly as a cigarette lighter.
Old 25th April 2007, 23:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

check out the + and - connection coming to the socket normally the outer side is - and the inner one is the + .......
Old 25th April 2007, 23:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip.. It could be a voltage problem too..

I just did a google search +"car charger" +"burning smell" - Google Search

Now I am not so sure if its a good idea to use a car charger.. there are literally hundreds of ipods, mobile phones and tomtom navigators that got fried becoz of faulty car chargers !!
Old 26th April 2007, 00:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.. It could be a voltage problem too..

I just did a google search +"car charger" +"burning smell" - Google Search

Now I am not so sure if its a good idea to use a car charger.. there are literally hundreds of ipods, mobile phones and tomtom navigators that got fried becoz of faulty car chargers !!
Thats pretty bad maan. The chargers should be having some kind of fuse to save the equipment being charged , but I doubt it as most of them are cheap chinese make
Old 26th May 2007, 17:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually got a multimeter and measured the voltage .. It hovers around 12.4 V and increases to 13.6 when I start the engine. So there isnt anything wrong with the voltage out of the cigarette lighter.

Damn those cheap chinese made chargers - the operating voltage on the sticker says Input range is 12V - 24V!! And it goes poof the first time.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to get USB charger going in the car?
Old 25th March 2010, 16:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:

These chargers should normally have a 250 V 2 A fuse. Change the fuse and check.
Old 25th March 2010, 19:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

His last post was on 26th May 2007. He must have thrown the charger by now and must have got something else..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
These chargers should normally have a 250 V 2 A fuse. Change the fuse and check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks