Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:57   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Questions about Windows 10 on a Macbook (Boot Camp) | Please advise

Hello all,

Have just gone the boot camp way to bring Windows to my Macbook. Need it for my finance / accounting software, heavy excel work etc. Questions for the experts

- Is there any way to transfer my Windows 10 settings from my Dell Latitude to the Macbook 16? I heavily customise my Windows environment (shortcut keys etc.) and it'll be a pain to jump through all the hoops on a fresh Windows install in the Macbook.

- How do I encrypt my Windows partition on the Macbook? I use Bitlocker on the Latitude.

- How do I take a backup image of the Windows partition on Macbook? I use Acronis for my Dell and it's saved me hundreds of hours by offering an exact replica of my system.

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th March 2021, 06:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Questions about Windows 10 on a Macbook (Boot Camp) | Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have just gone the boot camp way to bring Windows to my Macbook.
Did you tried Parallels? I won’t look at anything else for my Mac.

https://www.parallels.com

A comparison between the two

https://www.winxponmac.com/parallels-vs-bootcamp/

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th March 2021 at 06:57.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 07:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way to transfer my Windows 10 settings from my Dell Latitude to the Macbook 16? I heavily customise my Windows environment (shortcut keys etc.) and it'll be a pain to jump through all the hoops on a fresh Windows install in the Macbook.
If you've been using a Microsoft account, something like Live.com/Hotmail.com/MSN.com then yes, there might be a shot to it because it is supposed to Sync your account settings across various Win10 devices. That is what Microsoft says but I have not tested it personally.

Quote:
How do I encrypt my Windows partition on the Macbook? I use Bitlocker on the Latitude.
When you will be using Windows with Mac through Bootcamp, within the OS you can still use Bitlocker.

Quote:
How do I take a backup image of the Windows partition on Macbook? I use Acronis for my Dell and it's saved me hundreds of hours by offering an exact replica of my system.
Acronis is one way or when in Windows you can use VMware Workstation Pro (Comes with 30 days Trial) or VirtualBox (Freeware), to convert the OS into a Virtual machine. Which you can run using these software from Windows.
If you intend to use them within MacOS, then you can also mount the Bootcamp through Parallels (Don't know that they have a free version) or use VMware Fusion Player (its free for Personal use). Plus the VMware Communities is a great place to get free Support. With Fusion you can mount Bootcamp, meaning that within MacOS, you can use Bootcamp and MacOS simultaneously.

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2021 at 14:47. Reason: Using quote tags - thank you!
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 07:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Did you tried Parallels? I won’t look at anything else for my Mac.
Thanks bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
If you've been using a Microsoft account, something like Live.com/Hotmail.com/MSN.com then yes, there might be a shot to it because it is supposed to Sync your account settings across various Win10 devices.
Some research indicates "Laplink" could also help me out. Microsoft recommends it as well.

Quote:
When you will be using Windows with Mac through Bootcamp, within the OS you can still use Bitlocker.
Awesome! Thank you.

Quote:
Acronis is one way
I love Acronis. Another option strongly recommended on Reddit is WinClone.
Old 24th August 2023, 04:31   #5

Hi guys. I am a mechanical engineering student on a lookout to purchase a new laptop for my study needs. I have to run software like SolidWorks , Ansys , Matlab etc. I am confused whether to go for a windows laptop with i7 / ryzen7 or to get a Macbook Air M1/M2 . Will I be able to run the above mentioned software with Macbook Air m1/m2 or should I go with a windows laptop.

Most Viewed