Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

LG Electronics to exit the smartphone business

Quote:
LG Electronics Inc. may shutter its mobile communication business rather than sell it, DongA Ilbo reports, citing an unidentified person in the electronics industry.

Negotiations with Germany’s Volkswagen AG and Vietnam’s Vingroup JSC on possible sale of the smartphone business seemed to have failed, according to the report.

LG Electronics’ CEO said in January that all options were on the table for the loss-making operation. The company was said to have halted development last month of phones with a rollable display, and DongA said Sunday that LG has shelved a planned first-half rollout of all new smartphones.

LG may share its decision on the business’ fate with employees as soon as early April, the DongA report said.
Source:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...business-donga

Related articles:
https://www.republicworld.com/techno...ails-here.html

https://telecomtalk.info/never-see-n...obiles/346365/

Last edited by TrackDay : 2nd April 2021 at 14:15.
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 17:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: LG Electronics to exit the smartphone business

Sad news but the writings on the wall were there for a long time. Though they came out with innovative features and phones, they just couldn't capitalize on it.

It's a shame since they do make some good phones.

Been on a LG train for a few years now and it's all been good except for their abysmal update support.

I will really miss their Quad DAC and sadly no other phone at present seems to be targeted towards audiophiles (noob or elitist).

Anyway, it's still speculation for now as the official announcement would be made on Monday i think.
Old 3rd April 2021, 00:27   #3

L.G smartphones are not bad. Smartphones like L.G Wing was a new concept but the problem was it was useful for only a very niche group of people. If someone want a huge screen in smartphone size, phones like Samsung Z Fold make sense. If someone want a smartphone in a very compact size people would buy flip phones of Samsung or Motorola. The Wing was a phone which is a new concept but it's target audience was not clear.

Also we saw dual screen phone of L.G at 20k during big billion days with a good chipset which was sold in good numbers. If they released a normal smartphone with a good processor and price it competitively, it would be a success but instead they are trying new ideas. New ideas are not bad. The problem is they should first release some normal ones, price it well, establish their brand and then try those ideas.
The21st is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 21:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I will really miss their Quad DAC and sadly no other phone at present seems to be targeted towards audiophiles (noob or elitist).
I am in the same conundrum. Been using LG phones as my backup phone purely for the QDAC and listening to music. I might get my hands on a LG V60 from someone coming from abroad for a cheaper price and use that for music post my current LG V40 ThinQ gives up.

The ASUS ROG Phone 5 has the QDAC setup and I could read very encouraging bits about that in mobile forums from an audiophile point of view. So we now have another phone with QDAC in built and soon to be released in our market.
whencut86 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 22:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

The rog looks good but sadly it doesn't have a memory card slot which is a downer :(
Might just have to buy a usb dac dongle for my next phone
Old 4th April 2021, 09:07   #6
BHPian

I think LG Mobiles is being run by some incompetent people who have no idea about phones. Instead of getting the basics right, they are focussing only on gimmicks like palm unlock, dual screen, etc.

They have to position the brand below Apple & Samsung and try to compete with OnePlus/Mi, etc with lower prices. The phones should be in different price segments with simple naming without confusion. They need to either get a new OS or go with Stock Android with timely updates. With the right hardware, they can really be the low cost alternative to the Chinese brands.
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 09:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the model numbers of every ESS Sabre DAC featured in an LG smartphone.

V10 – ESS Sabre 9018 DAC, Sabre 9602 headphone amp
V20 – ESS Sabre ES9218 Quad DAC (tuned by LG or B&O Play, depending on the market)
V30 and G6 (Asian market G6 only) – ESS Sabre ES9218P Quad DAC (tuned by B&O Play)
V40 and G7 – ESS Sabre ES9218P Quad DAC (tuned with Meridian)
V50 and G8 (and G8x) – ESS Sabre ES9218P Quad DAC (tuned by Meridian)
V60 – ESS Sabre ES9219 Quad DAC (most likely tuned by LG)

There are a few things to note. The LG V10 did not have a Quad DAC and it was the only model with a separate amp. Every model afterward came with a Quad DAC as well as an integrated amp. Additionally, the hardware has actually changed very little from the introduction of the first Quad DAC. The biggest changes came from the tuning, until the LG V60 with its ES9219 Quad DAC.
courtesy: LG Quad DAC
cs_rajesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks