Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2021, 12:03   #16
BHPian

Re: How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?

Not worth it at all. This is clearly to fish out user information. Specially in covid times be careful of such frauds increasing even at local level. Unfortunately, not many already are even aware of the siphoning of information already happening thanks to such platforms performing their acts in the background.
I paid huge price thanks to ransomware attack on my office server that came in most probably by a similar unauthorised download on one of the machines.
Old 1st May 2021, 14:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayurS View Post
Hi GTO why did you spend <3000 on windows 10 key when Microsoft is offering it for free? I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 for free with their Windows Media Creation tool
Mayur, that is an upgrade for existing users who have already paid for their copy of windows 7 or 8. GTO might have bought a new license.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 15:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoguru View Post
I still have a doubt on the deep discounted prices offered for MS office on Amazon vs the prices offered at the direct Microsoft online stores. I am still purchasing from direct Microsoft websites and not from Amazon for the fear of buying pirated keys. I want to know if I am unwantedly spending more?
The discounted prices that we see on Amazon and others are for OEM keys but not for retail keys(which you get when you buy the software from a retail store). So once you use a OEM Key on a PC then it works on that specific machine only whereas the keys that we buy from retail stores(softwares dvds etc) are for individual users that can be used on multiple devices but one has to deregister(not sure) on the existing device before using the same key on the other device.
Keys bought from Microsoft in my best guess are also 1 device keys unless it's mentioned otherwise. Check out the keyword RETAIL. If it says retail then it can used on multiple devices but not simultaneously.
Tucker48 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 15:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stay away from pirated stuff, bud. You are asking for trouble. And due to competition, software is so well-priced today that there is no need to even consider pirated software (similar to how free streaming and legit song downloads for 8 bucks killed music piracy). I just bought a Windows 10 key from Amazon for <3000 bucks. Really can't get cheaper than that for a full blown OS.
I’m not sure how safe these cheap Windows keys are. I’ve seen multiple sites listing these keys at 1.5k or 3k INR but I’m sure they’re probably reselling OEM keys that ship with laptops or something. Doesn’t make any sense how you can get a $200 key for $20.

Related read: https://www.howtogeek.com/392080/che...-do-they-work/
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 23:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
1) Google will never approve a website that hosts illegal content for their advertising solutions. But this website is hosting Adsense ads:

2) "Get into PC" has their own 'Report Abuse' and DMCA complaints page:
https://getintopc.com/dmca/

3) Pirated website will always have ads for 'software' that installs malware on your computer (Eg: speed up your computer, speed up your internet type etc). But this website is surprisingly clean.
I work in online abuse prevention and I can guarantee that just because Google Ads are running on a website or Google Ads lead you to a website, doesn't mean it has authentic content. In fact Google disapproves Billions of Ads a year because it finds out later that they were violating policies(i.e. leading to landing page with pirated content).

Also its very common for a fraudulent website to have a "Report" feature to make them appear more authentic. In my many years of experience in this field if a website appears to be fraudulent or a fake, it probably is.

Last edited by Foxbat : 1st May 2021 at 23:34.
Foxbat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 23:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stay away from pirated stuff, bud. You are asking for trouble. And due to competition, software is so well-priced today that there is no need to even consider pirated software (similar to how free streaming and legit song downloads for 8 bucks killed music piracy). I just bought a Windows 10 key from Amazon for <3000 bucks. Really can't get cheaper than that for a full blown OS.

If you don't want to spend on MS Office, use Google Docs. Works beautifully in the browser and is compatible with MS Word, Excel etc. files. Power users though will see some inconsistences (e.g. formatting changes) and are better off buying a licence (just 2.2k on Amazon).

How did you receive the windows key? Was it some sort of Email delivery and you had to follow some set of steps by clicking on some link or something. I had bought a McAfee anti virus from Amazon for 250 bucks and was feeling ecstatic that I got a original software at dirt cheap price. However when I got the online key via e-mail and installed the same, it felt like some cheap pirated version.
Old 8th October 2021, 20:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

I came across this offer for MS Office 365 on Flipkart, and have seen "Hurry, only 1 left!" since 3 days.
Wondering if it is a legitimate copy as I want to try it.

How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?-capture.jpg
Old 9th October 2021, 15:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I came across MS Office 365 on Flipkart, and have seen "Hurry, only 1 left!" since 3 days.
Wondering if it is a legitimate copy as I want to try it.
It is DAIDO Office, not MS Office. Secondly Office 365 does not have any lifetime version, it is an annual subscription model. Stay Away from this.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 15:22   #24

You're absolutely right that some websites offering free downloads of MS Office can be quite risky. It's crucial to be cautious and aware of potential frauds, especially in times like these when such incidents may increase, even at a local level.

Downloading software from unofficial or untrustworthy sources can indeed put your personal information and devices at risk. These platforms may engage in unauthorized activities behind the scenes, compromising the security and privacy of users.
Old 7th June 2023, 22:12   #25

There is an easier way which is not risky at all. There are many online sellers offering MS office Keys (the 20 character alphanumeric code). Just download legit version of office trial directly from Microsoft website and use these keys which you can get for less than Rs 500. There is no way a virus can be transmitted. Keep in mind though that this might be a grey area as these might be volume license keys/OEM keys and not to be used in retail.
Old 12th June 2023, 19:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayodelemary View Post
You're absolutely right that some websites offering free downloads of MS Office can be quite risky. It's crucial to be cautious and aware of potential frauds, especially in times like these when such incidents may increase, even at a local level.

Downloading software from unofficial or untrustworthy sources can indeed put your personal information and devices at risk. These platforms may engage in unauthorized activities behind the scenes, compromising the security and privacy of users.
In light of this, it's always recommended to obtain software licenses, including Microsoft Office, from authorized resellers or official channels. While you might be searching for a ""windows 10 key cheap"" or free downloads, it's essential to prioritize the security and legitimacy of the software to avoid any unfortunate consequences like the ransomware attack you experienced.
Old 16th June 2023, 00:34   #27
BHPian

One needs to beware of the online official channel partners. It takes nothing to set up a fly by night e-shop, acquiring MAK keys from a developer and selling their hundreds of copies at a cheaper cost. Eventually the developer understands the distribution ratio and suspends key(s). Therefore the software functions smoothly in the meantime just to restrict the access one fine morning in a couple of months.

Buy genuine!

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 16th June 2023 at 00:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks