Team-BHP - Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/23658-crashed-hard-disk-data-recovery-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalZ (Post 1257372)
Well fine. I guess my laptop has a magic elf in it just making the 250GB HDD work fine without a LBA48 bit addressing compatible BIOS.

I'll say this for the last time. You can use whatever size HDD in your laptop without the BIOS support as long as you have a WinXP SP2 or later OS and partition sizes less than 128GB.

That sounds too good :), but is there any site where the same information has been verified.

Here's one :

48-bit LBA (Dell Inspiron 6000) [Archive] - boards.ie

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalZ (Post 1257713)

@ImmortalZ: Thanks

What is the reasonable price for 160GB IDE 2.5" HDD in b'lore ?

A quick question:

I had mentioned earlier that my desktop's HD crashed a long time ago.Fellow BHPian Mohit was kind enough to send me all the info I needed on the Dell Dimension 2300 system I have.
I'm sure its possible to use an external hard drive on a desktop.How feesible is this? What are the pros & cons? Also, assuming the connection is through a USB cable, won't the system be real slow (and probably hang a zillion times) ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1260546)
A quick question:

I had mentioned earlier that my desktop's HD crashed a long time ago.Fellow BHPian Mohit was kind enough to send me all the info I needed on the Dell Dimension 2300 system I have.
I'm sure its possible to use an external hard drive on a desktop.How feesible is this? What are the pros & cons? Also, assuming the connection is through a USB cable, won't the system be real slow (and probably hang a zillion times) ?

You can use external hdd for storage. For instance i have 5. 3 for movies. 2 for backup. But you will need USB 2 interface. Does above system has USB2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1262277)
You can use external hdd for storage. For instance i have 5. 3 for movies. 2 for backup. But you will need USB 2 interface. Does above system has USB2?

yes, it does. Anyway, its probably a better idea to have an internal HD, and use an external HD for backup of files. Will look into it and get back if I face any other issues. Thanks,SirAlec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 427004)
As per your post your HDD spins for around 2 minutes or so
I suggest you take out your HDD, put in a air tight zip lock bag, put in in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Make sure the bag is airtight, otherwise there will be condensation and more damage.
You can extract around 20 minutes of life.
The best way to do this is to use the HDD in an external casing. Keep the computer booted up, plug in the extern casing through USB, and start transferring.
If this does not work you need expertise in using programs like ddrescue(open source hence free), otherwise you will need to pay someone to do it for you.

If you know somebody proficent in linux, I suggest you try something from here
10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) »

List of LiveDistros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Freezer Trick may sound insane, But it has worked for me! :thumbs up

My hard disk crash...

I put my computer on it's side, removed the side panel, and thought I'd power up one more time. Wonder of wonders, the disk started up without the horrible clunking noises, was recognised, and I was able to recover all the data from it to another drive.

Worth a try!

I was lucky: it was the absolutely last breaths for that drive.

Need help guys,
Dropped my external 250GB HD and as I feared, it is no longer being detected. I keep hearing this faint beep 2 seconds apart. Is it gone? or can the data be still recovered? It was filled to the brim, if I may say so.

Its a portable one or desktop one? If desktop one try to open it up and connect to the SATA or ide port of your PC.

in both cases open it up and chek if it got deatch to its controller.

Need help guys.. I have the hp pavilion dv6928us laptop.. it is not at all booting. when i ran the diagnostics in bios, it says 'replace the hdd'. I can change the hdd but my concern is about the data. I have around 200GB of data in it. Is there a way to recover the data?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford_madhan (Post 1351691)
.. I have the hp pavilion dv6928us laptop.. it is not at all booting. when i ran the diagnostics in bios, it says 'replace the hdd'. I can change the hdd but my concern is about the data. I have around 200GB of data in it. Is there a way to recover the data?

Take the HDD out of the laptop, put it in an external enclosure and plug it into another computer. You'll know whether the HDD works. It could be a software problem preventing the laptop from booting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1351671)
Its a portable one or desktop one? If desktop one try to open it up and connect to the SATA or ide port of your PC.

in both cases open it up and chek if it got deatch to its controller.

Portable, SATA.
My desktop is quite old, no SATA port, features the previous gen HDs ( -ATA I believe??) Opened it up, connections are all fine. But just to be sure, disconnected and re-connected it. No luck!!

Will try doing what you said on someone else's PC who has a SATA port.
Thanks for the help.

In the worst case, can the data still be recovered? If so, what kinda figures am I looking at?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 1352834)
In the worst case, can the data still be recovered? If so, what kinda figures am I looking at?

7 - 10k.

basically "recovery" would involve extracting disks out of current HDD, putting it onto another HDD (with same controller / electronics).

usually this will get most of data since only the area where head as actually scratched the disk would be bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 1352834)
Portable, SATA.
My desktop is quite old, no SATA port, features the previous gen HDs ( -ATA I believe??) Opened it up, connections are all fine. But just to be sure, disconnected and re-connected it. No luck!!

Will try doing what you said on someone else's PC who has a SATA port.
Thanks for the help.

You do that! and post the result here.

Data recovery is an expensive work. find nearby places. on last resort send it to me will be happy to do it for u.