Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 21:01   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
This 8Mb/sec speed is misleading (in India). Connections here may provide the promised download speed
I can manage the full 8 on a speed test to my own ISP, so they are giving the bandwidth there, but things are going to slow down when the international connections come into the picture

Quote:
I would imagine you achieve about 1.5Mbps upload speed with your 8Mbps connection.
The cloud is largely fantasy for users in India.
Oh dear... thanks! I completely forgot the most important thing of all! My upload speed is barely 1Mbps.

Yes, I can forget the cloud, or anything else where substantial uploads are required.
Old 24th May 2016, 10:04   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in dire straits.
My seagate 1TB wireless HDD is not being detected via USB. I am able to connect to it through the wifi connection it makes, its charging alright, and transmitting the wifi correctly, but the content is not showing up.
Any help?
Old 24th May 2016, 10:17   #243
BHPian

My 1 TB WD Passport seems to have gone for a toss.

USB connection detects a drive and even installs the driver on a new PC/laptop, but it doesn't show up.

Disk Management doesn't show the drive, so I am not able to initialize it.
I don't see any screws to remove the outer casing either (to connect as secondary HDD to the PC).

The data is extremely important. Any guidelines on how to retrieve the data and save the HDD if possible?

P.S - It is only 11 months old and in warranty period, but I'm not sure if my saved data maybe misused. It's a little sensitive information (bank records, family pics, some projects I worked on at home etc) and I do not want to risk it getting in to someone else's computer.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 24th May 2016 at 10:19.
Old 24th May 2016, 19:00   #244
BHPian

Jumanji in Seven Forums has a nice write-up on recovering data from inaccessible drives using a live Linux pen drive. Just check it. It could help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/...-computer.html

Basically you would create a bootable Lucid Puppy (Linux) pen drive using Rufus and then boot your PC with it, loading Live Linux into the memory. Check whether your faulty drive shows up and is accessible. If accessible and shows the contents, you can copy those folders/files to another external drive.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 24th May 2016 at 19:04.
Old 24th May 2016, 20:27   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am in dire straits.
My seagate 1TB wireless HDD is not being detected via USB. I am able to connect to it through the wifi connection it makes, its charging alright, and transmitting the wifi correctly, but the content is not showing up.
Any help?
Connect your HDD to your PC with the USB connector. What exactly happens? Does your HDD show up in Device Manager? Can you see it in Windows Disk Management? Is there any error message popping up when you open Windows Disk Management with the HDD connected to the PC?
Old 24th May 2016, 21:11   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Connect your HDD to your PC with the USB connector. What exactly happens? Does your HDD show up in Device Manager? Can you see it in Windows Disk Management? Is there any error message popping up when you open Windows Disk Management with the HDD connected to the PC?
None of the above.
I think I will have to take it to seagate people.
Old 24th May 2016, 21:21   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
None of the above.
I think I will have to take it to seagate people.
Seagate service centres will never give you a guarantee on data recovery. You'll have to specifically ask this question and they might agree but the charges will be for data recovery, just the same, or more, as any good data recovery firm.
Old 24th May 2016, 21:28   #248
BHPian

I presume Mayankk doesn't need any data recovery since he must have loaded the HDD with movies and other media from another source to be able to stream it to his mobile. Should he require the data to be recovered he can still try the Lucid Puppy way to access the drive as envisaged in my post #244. Jumanji is the Data Recovery expert in Seven Forums and much sought after there.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 24th May 2016 at 21:33.
Old 24th May 2016, 21:44   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Movies too, but I can afford to lose those. There are pictures on the drive, which I can't afford to. I'll be thrown out of the house, hence the dire straits.
The Wi-Fi from the drive is functioning, but doesn't show content. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Nehru place. Meantime I'll try the Linux method. Does it have to be puppy? I already have slax on some pen drive somewhere.
Old 24th May 2016, 22:17   #250
BHPian

I presume any Live Linux can do, but jumanji's write-up is well done with pictorial description on how to use Lucid Puppy to retrieve the data. Following his guide, I had retrieved all data from a friend's non-bootable PC successfully. So I can speak of Lucid Puppy only. And creating a Lucid Puppy pen drive with Rufus is not going to take much time. What all you require is an empty pen drive that has no data in it. If you are well versed with Linux, you can try any live Linux. But if you want to be guided, then go with jumanji and his Lucid Puppy way.
Old 25th May 2016, 09:47   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
I presume any Live Linux can do, but jumanji's write-up is well done with pictorial description on how to use Lucid Puppy to retrieve the data. Following his guide, I had retrieved all data from a friend's non-bootable PC successfully. So I can speak of Lucid Puppy only. And creating a Lucid Puppy pen drive with Rufus is not going to take much time. What all you require is an empty pen drive that has no data in it. If you are well versed with Linux, you can try any live Linux. But if you want to be guided, then go with jumanji and his Lucid Puppy way.
No go, charlie.
I am inclined to think its a physical fault which has affected the HDD, and not the the rest of the functionality. I will try the auth people once. Otherwise, if someone in delhi can recommend a good doctor(?)
Old 25th May 2016, 14:02   #252
BHPian

If your drive is physically faulty, no DIY data recovery is possible. You can run the Seagate Diagnostic/Repair Utility SeaTools for Windows and check the status of your drive. http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support...oads/seatools/
Also read the SeaTools for Windows Guide on that page on using it. Any doctor is going to do it - the investigation.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 25th May 2016 at 14:06.
Old 4th June 2016, 11:00   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

OK. So I have dropped this hard way worse than the last time, and so I couldn't believe that this would have harmed it. I opened her up, and sure enough, I could sense it starting up without any problems. The inside has one sata which goes to the wifi and battery circuitry, and then that one culminates in another sata to USB3.0 conversion piece which attaches to the case of the hard disk. this is where the USB from the PC connects. Took the hard disk out after reading up a disassembly process on the net. Connected the USB to SATA converter directly to the disk, Voila!!
I have finally stopped sweating bullets after weeks now. Phew!

Currently trying to clear out space on obsolete storages to get the required 300GB+ to backup my, er. backup!!

Need a couple input, though. This is 2.5 " disk, yes? I can buy a 2.5" enclosure and deposit this in that? Or any replacement enclosure for any external drive?
Attached Thumbnails
Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?-dsc_1580.jpg  

Old 4th June 2016, 16:54   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Need a couple input, though. This is 2.5 " disk, yes? I can buy a 2.5" enclosure and deposit this in that? Or any replacement enclosure for any external drive?
Yes that's a 2.5" drive and you should not have any trouble dropping it into a new enclosure. Just make sure that the enclosure supports your drive connector type (SATA/PATA .. unless your drive is realllllly old it will most likely be a SATA connector)
Old 8th June 2016, 10:42   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

So, closure.
Got a sata enclosure for 500bucks off of Amazon, removed the outer casing from seagate, the rubber bump protectors, and put it in. All is well now.
Like so:
Attached Thumbnails
Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?-img_20160608_103833.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks