Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 19:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
You mean salvage the parts from another dead drive?
Exactly. By all accounts your HDD has only blown the 'control circuitry'. Which is why I suggested you don't bring in terms like 'data recovery' - simply ask for the drive to be repaired.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

I still havent gotten around to have someone look at that hard disk I fried.. meanwhile here's a new query.

There's a very aged laptop at the office, some unknown chinese brand but has lasted well over 5-6 years. Constant power failure rendered it dead. The comp maintenance came by the other day and said nothing much can be done.

The system starts up, boots windows and then just blue screens. He tried with a bootable disc but chkdsk etc just gets stuck at the 0% mark.

How to go about this? I need the data and then I can dump the lappie.
Old 21st July 2008, 11:22   #63
Team-BHP Support

Take out the HDD out of the lappie. See the interface(It can be SATA 150, IDE etc.,)
Buy a casing for the type of HDD(400rs) and fix the HDD inside the casing. Now its an external USB disk from which you can copy data
Old 21st July 2008, 14:05   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I still havent gotten around to have someone look at that hard disk I fried.. meanwhile here's a new query.

There's a very aged laptop at the office, some unknown chinese brand but has lasted well over 5-6 years. Constant power failure rendered it dead. The comp maintenance came by the other day and said nothing much can be done.

The system starts up, boots windows and then just blue screens. He tried with a bootable disc but chkdsk etc just gets stuck at the 0% mark.

How to go about this? I need the data and then I can dump the lappie.
s0uljah
Since it is 5-6 years its most likely a IDE hard disk.Go to SP road buy laptop hard disk case-external usb. you can buy a cheap one (250/- to 300/-) or something like Transcend.Insert the hard disk and connect to other computer.You may have to use disk diagnostic utilities downloaded from manufacturers website.If required i can help you finding the utility if you know the hard disk make.Its most likely the boot sector having the physical damage.You may get the data without the utility.

Quote:
Its a Seagate 7200 RPM 80gb drive. Approx 3 years old I reckon.
Yep the spark and smoke was on the top surface where the circuitry is.
Seagate has known failure of control PCB and Head.Let me know the exact model so that i can help.

Last edited by mohang_j : 21st July 2008 at 14:12.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip guys, I will try with an external casing for the lappie hdd.

Mohan more on this via PM
Old 22nd July 2008, 04:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

My 2c:

If the hard disk has a mechanical failure, there is not much that can be done to recover data from it. Freezer trick and the rest mentioned here - they may work, else you got yourself a paper weight.

Common symptoms of a Mech failure: Whirring noise (have the case open and make sure it is the HDD and not a fan), crackling noise, NOISE in general!!

If there does not seem to be abnormal noises, then could be an electrical failure. If you can source another HDD of the same kind (SAME - not similar!!), then swapping the board may save the day. Note that this will not work if the spindle motor has gotten burnt!!

Data recovery for HDDs that do NOT get detected in BIOS is a costly errand, and i personally wouldn't venture into it unless what i have is worth the dough I will be spending!
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:24   #67
BHPian

You can try external casing, but as ph03n!x mentioned it will depend how your HDD went bad. There are some companies who will does data recovery from the HDD's but they charge you BOMB as they need to use same type of HDD's and for recovering a single HDD they might break open another 2 or 3 new HDD's. Even they will not assure you whether they are definitely going to recover the data.
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Disk Doctor on Cunningham road in Bangalore, if you're located in Blr.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:38   #69
BHPian

Just FYI.
testdisk-6.9.win is very helpful for HDD recovery.I have recently done sucessfully.But here it won't help since phy damage is there.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:43   #70
BHPian

Recently my Hitachi 80 GB Laptop harddisk suffered a mechanical failure. It now refuses to spin at all. Prior to failure, it was making a lot of whirring noise which give me an idea that the head or disk motor is dead.

Is there anyone in Pune or Mumbai who can recover data from mechanically dead HDDs. How much are the charges (an approx cost will give me an idea of the damage that is going to happen)?
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Recently my Hitachi 80 GB Laptop harddisk suffered a mechanical failure. It now refuses to spin at all. Prior to failure, it was making a lot of whirring noise which give me an idea that the head or disk motor is dead.

Is there anyone in Pune or Mumbai who can recover data from mechanically dead HDDs. How much are the charges (an approx cost will give me an idea of the damage that is going to happen)?
Is the laptop still under warranty period. If yes try to approach them. They will recover the data mostly if is a mechanical error. Infact if it is not also then also you can approach them. Is laptop came with the same HDD or you changed it later. Try this link
Hitachi: Current Customers: Service Center Locator
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:28   #72
Team-BHP Support

I am suffering from the same problem in my Compaq laptop (out of warranty ). Mechanical failure of the hard drive.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:39   #73
BHPian

@ aka_iitd : It is not a laptop, but a laptop HDD used in 2.5" casing. So I can't go to the laptop maker. But I think, it is still under warranty. If I RMA it, then am I eligible for a data recovery from HDD manufacturer? It was bought in Feb 2006.

WARRANTY statement - English

@ Eddy - Mechanical failure of Laptop HDD is very very common, from what I have seen so far. Few other friends have also suffered with the same fate as mine.

Last edited by given2fly : 22nd January 2009 at 13:41.
Old 20th February 2009, 10:35   #74
BHPian

Seagate HDD crashed...

My seagate HDD has conked.. and i need to recover the data from the same. I get a whirring noise when i boot up. It says "Loading PBR... done" and then comes up with "Disk Read Error". This is on Dell inspiron 6000 laptop. I had bought it in september 2005.

Please let me know of places in b'lore (preferably, around JP Nagar), where i can get this repaired/recovered.
Old 20th February 2009, 17:24   #75
Senior - BHPian

If you have second pc or laptop. Its easy. Since its still spinning and just showing disk read error. then its the bad sector.

Do one thing remove the hdd from laptop, buy a Rs.250 laptop hdd usb casing (non-sata, since ur dell is non sata) connect it to a PC or laptop. Copy your data. simple.

PS: But you wont be able to use the HDD in long run. It won't be reliable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks