Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 11 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Windows, in my humble opinion, remains a customer unfriendly product simply because it tries to be everything to everyone and doesn't come with a simple enough instruction booklet.
I digress. You are the perfect customer for Apple. Their operating system is hands down the best for a user who does not like to fiddle with things. Did you say search? Just tap command+space and search for anything on your Mac. Spotlight is sheer brilliance.

I am on the Windows camp (mostly) so not trying to sell you a Mac OS. I happen to use both and there are many things that are just flawless on a Mac and will never be seen on a Microsoft product. They both think and design things very different.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 09:20   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Did you say search? Just tap command+space and search for anything on your Mac. Spotlight is sheer brilliance.
A little known fact is that Windows has the exact same functionality which I use several times an hour. Press the Windows logo key (on your keyboard) and type whatever you are looking for . Files, programs...anything. Works just like spotlight on my Mac!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2021 at 10:08.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:25   #18
BHPian

Has anyone understood how the Android app support works ?

Its not made very obvious, but really its Amazon App store support Win11 has.
And from what I understand Intel Bridge enables the apps to run Native, rather than on containers like the options now.

So, is it like -- "Now on, Android apps will work natively. BTW its only thru this gateway"
?
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

There was a time when I was crazy about OS updates and new features. Now it just doesn't excite me anymore. The one and only thing I am concerned about new OS releases is stability and absence of of irritating niggles.

My PC is running on Windows 10 and there was a bug where native apps like Photos, Outlook, Music would crash for no reason after automatic updates, tried doing the usual 'send error report' but couldn't get much help. So disabled updates on it after spending a few hours finding a good hack. It is all fine since then. Then there are display/audio/Wireless driver issues which I have resolved (like most other users) myself for my office laptops, my wife's office laptops as well as my neighbours

Such things where one has to waste time to fix a problem that is not really your creation is something I cannot afford to do these days. Hope Windows 11 fixes that.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Windows 10 was such a great effort that frankly I am not too excited about Windows 11. What I really want is a brilliantly specced and well designed flagship laptop running Windows. It is enough to say that my best Windows experience so far has been when I installed it on my MacBook Pro (MBP) - even though some of the drivers didn't work as seamlessly as they work for MacOS.

There is no hardware that is as good as MBP and I wish Microsoft could just copy that hardware and give us a machine running Window out-of-box. I see no use for MacOS for myself. It's just lack of good hardware that's keeping me from switching to Windows as my primary OS. Hope someone is listening and fulfils my wish!

Last edited by pkk077 : 2nd July 2021 at 11:18. Reason: typo
pkk077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

I saved $250 (price difference + discounts) in 2017 by opting for a Lenovo Yoga 720 with the 7th gen i7 (vs similar 8th gen i7.) So, for me the Windows 11 was potentially a $250 upgrade.

With computing maturing (or is it me? ), I'm not excited about updates - Android or Windows. Only notable update in the recent past is my iPad, which got much better transitioning from iOS to iPad OS. Desktop class safari improved my iPad usage experience 10x.

Quote:
Windows continues to have a zillion features most ordinary non-techie folks like me......

A Windows user since c.1990.
Get a shiny laptop from the fruit company. I'm willing to bet you already have a phone from the same company.

My machine is probably getting Linux in a few months. Freedom, baby!

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 2nd July 2021 at 11:36.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:02   #22
BHPian

Here is a quick summary of Windows 11.

The Windows 11 Thread-image_2021_07_02t00_49_38_679z.png

I am happy to run Ubuntu on 5yr old PC with Intel i3.
Romins is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:32   #23
BHPian

Is the public beta any good? Planning to install just for the sake of it...

Well I do think it looks slightly better, but unchanged for the most part. The Android apps thing seems like a gimmick to me. After all most everyone is dextrous enough with a mobile phone, and would probably not need to run apps natively on an app. Plus, no idea how extensive Amazon's app store is.
gusfring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Statutory Warning: Windows, in my humble opinion, remains a customer unfriendly product simply because it tries to be everything to everyone and doesn't come with a simple enough instruction booklet. Rant over.
Dear Sir, I too have a similar problem. The only programmes I use outside the browser are MS office, Zoom and Adobe. A Chromebook meets my needs except that the online office is little cranky at time.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk077 View Post
There is no hardware that is as good as MBP and I wish Microsoft could just copy that hardware and give us a machine running Window out-of-box. I see no use for MacOS for myself. It's just lack of good hardware that's keeping me from switching to Windows as my primary OS. Hope someone is listening and fulfils my wish!
You should give the Surface series a shot. Also can try the Toshiba (now Sharp Dynabook) machines, but those again are not single vendor HW+SW.
aashishnb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:20   #26
BHPian

Operating systems have really stagnated over the years, honestly. OS X, once the bastion of great user interfaces and usability, has given up its lead for nothing. Windows worked out its ugliness but now runs ads in really weird places.

These days I have a M1 Mac and an older 6th gen Intel based workstation. The software I use is cross platform and I'm not really seeing a lot of actual value additions on either platform that would make want to pick one side.

As much as people like to disparage it, Windows 10 runs incredibly well for most use cases. Gaming is still Windows-land, and most of the software we use have moved to the web. As long as 11 doesn't break very obvious things, and keeps WSL alive, it'll be a day one upgrade for me.
lordtottuu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:30   #27
BHPian

Most people will be just fine running current Windows 10 for the next few years. Nothing to worry about.

From what I read, this was just a major update to Windows 10 with some significant UI and Software support changes rather than a brand new version of Windows which Microsoft is now releasing as Windows 11 more for a Marketing push, (similar to how Tata renamed Gravitas to Safari for brand pull)

Windows 10 has been around for a long time now and it would look to the majority of its non-techy users that Microsoft is just sleeping on the success of Windows 10.

Calling it Windows 11 has definitely caught more eyeballs and created more interest that even the so called Non-techy users are talking about it.

For everyone talking about "Windows Lite", there was a version called Windows 10s but I think MS pulled the plug because it bombed since everybody started asking why limit yourself to 10s version when you can get the full version?

Last edited by ZenMaster : 2nd July 2021 at 17:31. Reason: Typo
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 18:12   #28
BHPian

MS Teams is supposed to be deeply integrated into Windows 11. MS Teams is *the best* collaboration software suite around. So if Windows 11 deeply integrates with Teams/SharePoint, that would be very promising for businesses.

For home users, OS upgrades are hardly relevant nowadays as most stuff is done on the web/mobile apps.
DigitalOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 18:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Statutory Warning: If you are a techie below 39 years of age and on Team BHP this post ay irritate you...

A Windows user since c.1990.
Not an irritation, but as a person from your era who learnt on MS DOS 3.11 to Novell Netware to Dec Alpha to Win 95 lineages to AWS...

My POV is that, everything is getting complex right from phone to automobiles; just that for certain things, we spend mindful efforts & for others mindless efforts, which makes all the difference.

Even in automobiles, I had hard time understanding the MID but after few days, it's child's play. I'm very positive there're 40 years old struggling to use a button phone versus a 85 year old easily using a smart phone

Even education today is complex (barring NCERT) especially in medicine & computer oriented. Even Nuseir Yassin (NAS Daily) struggled to shoot & making videos; after years of practice, he's now even offering a course on making short videos. Everything initially is confusing, point is PRACTICE makes perfection. Install Windows 11 on your system, I'm more than positive sir, you're going to guide the novice folks on using it
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 21:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Install Windows 11 on your system, I'm more than positive sir, you're going to guide the novice folks on using it
True that, but what is the need to make it so complex. A person who is savvy will be able to adapt easily, for others it would be difficult. Though we all need to be Agile, it need not be every area. We only add more issues/problems by making complex stuffs.

Most Viewed