Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 15:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
When I check Bp at the cardiologist clinic it is usually around 130/85 or 135/90. In the smartwatch it is always around 108/70 or 110/75.
Smartwatch is way off. Please talk to the doctor and check if buying a BP machine makes sense.

Even if we discount the fact that readings in a doctor's office are usually higher, this difference is way too much.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/faq-20057792

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrules View Post
Targets are something you set for yourself. There are numerous times when I look at my watch in the evening and I am like .. get the he** out and finish your target. That I think is the objective of these trackers.
+1. A nudge (or kick in the backside in my case) is the biggest advantage of smartwatch / band.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 20th September 2021 at 15:35.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have been testing Bp at the doctor's clinic for seven years now, and for many years before that for my parents. I don't have white coat hyper tension!

I don't take the watch reading seriously and don't believe in checking Bp at the wrist, even with a wrist cuff Bp monitor.
Old 20th September 2021, 15:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't take the watch reading seriously and don't believe in checking Bp at the wrist, even with a wrist cuff Bp monitor.
Yes, wrist based devices seem to be not accurate. Maybe that explains why smartwatches are not good for Blood Pressure.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/faq-20057802

Are upper arm monitors are any better ?
Old 21st September 2021, 00:14   #34
BHPian

Few days back took my better half to the Apple Store. Primarily for the watch, but she did not absolutely want the iPhone. Showed her the Galaxy 4, however the shape is not good.

I liked the Fitbit Versa 3 or Fitbit Sense. Any feedback on these or any other smartwatches that are similar in shape to the Apple watch.
Old 21st September 2021, 01:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This thread is squarely focused on answering
"What do I get when I pay 10k+ on a fitness smart watch? Even inexpensive bands (like Mi) are fairly well featured these days"
A good smartwatch makes activity recording and recognition effortless, thus easing you into the habit of working out daily, which results in better outcomes. Pleasurable habits take root!
I upgraded from a Goqii to Fitbit couple of years back by force (wife got me one without heads up). Till date, that is the best gift I have ever received. I would agree with your thought that it makes sense to invest in the best possible watch one can buy. In fact I am a general believer of the fact that one should prioritise shopping expenditure based on the amount of time you would typically spend with an item. For a smart watch, it will ideally be on the wrist every hour of your waking time so this is one place I would buy the best thing that can be afforded.

Having said that, I would only care about stats which are factual (heart rate, number of steps, etc) and could care less about the ones which are subjective/created based out of an algorithm.
Example - sleep scores. I don’t need a watch to tell me how well I slept. Feeling good in the morning when I wake up is all that matters, whether is a zero score or a full hundred is of no use to me.

Going overboard with statistics from a wearable is a risk we need to mindful of. After all, you know what they say about statistics, right
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:17   #36
BHPian

I have been into smartwatches for 5 years now. Initially for basic steps and some occassional appearances at the gym. Now, 100% for tracking fitness.

2016-2018 - Fitbit Blaze
2018-2021 - Apple Watch Series 3
2020-2021 - Fitbit Charge 3
2021 to now - Garmin Forerunner 245

Just adding my 2 cents. I would disagree with the statement that you 'must' invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit. Diet is the biggest factor in your fitness journey. Good rest and good exercise are the other majority contributors. A smartwatch/fitness band is good to have if you are a sucker for insights and data (but not essential). For instance - You may get your 8 hours of sleep but still wake up groggy in the morning, and your Fitbit will show you, that you slept badly. That being said - If you have some fitness goals and targets, a fitness device is a great tool to keep yourself motivated and measure slow but steady improvements.

My experience with the Fitbits was good. Great app, stellar battery life and sleep insights were top notch. Recommended device for starting out with.

Apple Watch was great, in terms of snob value - look and feel and features. However, it was awful in terms of battery (although it lasts 1.5 days). It worked well in the gym, tracking steps, tracking HR and even in the office with a leather strap on. But the biggest issue I faced with the Apple Watch was - As I got fitter, it could not keep up with my long runs and long bike rides. Shorter runs were about ok. But longer runs 10km-15km it recorded inaccurately. It uses Apple Maps I guess, absolutely useless. So, had to give it up with a heavy heart.

Enter Garmin Forerunner - feather-light, non-touchscreen, rugged, fairly plastic but incredibly functional. It has changed my life - it has been my faithful companion in training for HM as well as 100 km bike rides and other strength activites. Very impressed with the Garmin products. As the OP posted, when you are working out with it in workout mode - it auto detects and counts sets of exercises like pushups, squats, etc etc. Been very impressed with Garmin lately, although I do miss the Apple Watch a lot too. Save for sleep detecting which is not as good as Fitbit's. Garmin's insights and data are on a different level.

Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!-img_20210718_071846.jpg

Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!-img_20210620_073032.jpg
promit is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

First clarifying folks I disagree with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I highly recommend watching reviews of this kind before forming any strong opinions about Health benefits of these wearables : https://Youtube.com/c/TheQuantifiedScientist
Thilak sir,

It would be amazing if you could share Actionable insights / specifics for people. You surely didn't want the few thousand people who have visited the thread to each go to this youtube channel and spend hours?

So please, simplify and share specifics to relate / comment on. TIA

These are directionally accurate devices - at no point are we saying rely on them for medical advise or take them as gospel! Hell no. These are habit forming tools for the motivated but undisciplined weaklings like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Both these blogs are on Whopp's website. We should discount these slightly since marketing has certainly embellished the story.
Sir, I have nothing to say here - both individuals have little to do from shilling Whoop.

If anything, Pascal's tweet is here: https://twitter.com/p_friddy/status/1331628563158749187

His timeline has no words of praise for Whoop ever since. He is a regular man with his life to lead!

As something of a marketer myself, I do not share promotional material on TBHP - what's the point of being here after 14 years and almost ten thousand posts (and uncountable hours writing long as hell posts) , to shill unproven crap?

I gave the COVID example because a very close friend had exactly the same COVID data. He did not want to share his data so I picked up the relevant blog. But again, only outcomes I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
They say 'new accessories always motivate sportsmen'. So, if a smartwatch or a fitbit is motivating us to keep fit, then we are terribly on the wrong side of everything related to fitness.
A workout is fun when you find it difficult to start but have thoroughly enjoyed it while you are done!
As I said to aargee - its all about what works. This thread is NOT for disciplined folks - it is for the indisciplined folks who are motivated but not enough to take action.

We are all on our own journeys - this is a tip for those like me who struggle with motivation. I am not saying this is universally applicable insight for everyone!

In the end, if my Garmin helped me get to 50 workouts in 32 days and ensures I sneak in a half hour yoga session at 11pm - that is a BIG win for me.

If I am on the terribly wrong side of any sportsperson definition, sorry, not sorry!

Now replying to folks I agree with
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
to the premise of this thread. Got gifted an Apple Watch on my birthday and it has helped me track my fitness a lot more. What's more, the BPM monitor reminds me to keep my cool even on hard work days.
Precisely!

Quote:
How accurate are the Bp and O2 level readings? Can one rely on them? As a hypertensive on medication, my Bp reading on the smartwatch appears to be very very optimistic."
PLEASE DO NOT EQUATE THESE DEVICES WITH MEDICAL ADVICE!
I would never trust watch BP yet - the gold standard is to inflate and measure BP by compression - a watch will never do that perfectly.

Whoop is quite good with respiratory rate because it is worn VERY VERY tight unlike any watch.

At best they are like a cheap fire alarm for your body. Only the likes of Whoop are a somewhat decent alert to visit a doctor - but under no circumstance must you trust the device alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerK View Post
Apple Watch has the concept of closing activity rings for calories, standing and exercise. It has been about 6 months now since she had the Apple watch and in the past 4 months there is only 1 or 2 days when she couldn't close at least the outer calories ring. She is so motivated that even if it is 11PM, she would go for a walk just to close her rings.

This is when I realized that a device just counting steps wasn't enough, a proper motivating UX is crucial
Thank you - this is precisely it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piiyush21 View Post
thought of yet another device to charge makes me give up
That is the achilles heel sadly. Hence, Fitbit or Garmin with weeklong runtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrules View Post
Targets are something you set for yourself. There are numerous times when I look at my watch in the evening and I am like .. get the he** out and finish your target. That I think is the objective of these trackers.

Just sharing in a hope to motivate a few more souls like me that anything is possible.
EXACTLY. Whatever works - and some of us are imperfect but so be it. This is about decent solutions for imperfect undisciplined folks who may be worried if that smartwatch spend is good money down the drain!

Someone could achieve the same outcome with recording runs in a a paper notebook and a loving parent who kindly quizzes you at 11pm - "did you run today? I see today's entry is empty! If not, please go now!"

If that works for someone, sure! Not ruling out other approaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I upgraded from a Goqii to Fitbit couple of years back by force (wife got me one without heads up). Till date, that is the best gift I have ever received. I would agree with your thought that it makes sense to invest in the best possible watch one can buy. In fact I am a general believer of the fact that one should prioritise shopping expenditure based on the amount of time you would typically spend with an item. For a smart watch, it will ideally be on the wrist every hour of your waking time so this is one place I would buy the best thing that can be afforded.

You are my brother from another mother - I tell people to take slumming vacations, cheap hotels but buy the best phones and smart watches they can afford (to buy without debt and lose, in the worst case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Enter Garmin Forerunner - feather-light, non-touchscreen, rugged, fairly plastic but incredibly functional. It has changed my life - it has been my faithful companion in training for HM as well as 100 km bike rides and other strength activites. Very impressed with the Garmin products. As the OP posted, when you are working out with it in workout mode - it auto detects and counts sets of exercises like pushups, squats, etc etc. Been very impressed with Garmin lately, although I do miss the Apple Watch a lot too. Save for sleep detecting which is not as good as Fitbit's. Garmin's insights and data are on a different level.
Thanks - good to know I am not alone in my Garmin love. Given my Forerunner 935 is a 3.5 year old hand me down device with wonky charging and GPS error of ~10% - I always thought I would next buy a Fitbit Versa 2, but you seem to be sure that once a Garmin workout user, always a Garmin user!

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd September 2021 at 12:07.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sir, I have nothing to say here - both individuals have little to do from shilling Whoop.

As something of a marketer myself, I do not share promotional material on TBHP
I am not imputing any motive to your post itself. My point was about Whoop's marketing since it was Whoop's official blog.

I agree with the idea that Smartwatches and bands do a very good job of giving a nudge / kick to do something.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 13:19   #39
BHPian

I am a big person and Garmins have been my go to for smart watches.
I am not the "up at sunrise , what a wonderful day!" sort of person but then I still get up early and work out every day and walk/run in the evening and my Garmin is a big factor !.

I love the Garmin, and use a Garmin Venu (2 Fitbits and 2 other Garmins before that).

There is something about the guilt of not seeing the required calories burnt that gets me up in the morning.
One clear difference I can see is in the resting heart rate. My normal resting is almost always below 56. If I miss my workout for a week or have night outs I can see my resting heart rate climb slowly to above 60 - 65 in about a week and that graph gets me over my inertia and sets me back on track with my lifestyle, rest and workouts.

My watch stays on my hand pretty much all the time including through showers, physical work, sleep and has sustained a lot of abuse. I should say both the Fitbit and Garmin have fared pretty well. It's now almost an unconscious habit, wear watch will workout.

I don't really use any of the other fancy messaging/call/notification settings nor do I need them. I have never used my music player in the Garmin. All I look for is a decent fitness band with large and clear display, good workout tracking, sleep tracking, in built GPS and Im all set. I now have my eyes on the Fitbit Charge 5 which is just the sort of watch I would prefer. I wish though Garmin had an exact equivalent.

Btw the SPO2 in Garmin has never worked accurately for me. It always shows a low value and with the covid beginning of last year, that really scared me. I have now chosen to ignore this n both Garmin and Fitbit since my Spo2 with other metres and clinics was always above 97. So there's that.
srivibhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 15:06   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Been a long time user of a smart watch. But only recently have started using it effectively for activity tracking. My first major purchase was the LG Smartwatch back in 2015. It was imported and at that time was quite a novelty at least in my circles. I had written about it back in 2015 when the 'Fitness/Smartwatch thread' in Team Bhp Started. Link to that old post (The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread)

Once that device went bad, was on and off with some basic bands and trackers. But always wanted a proper 'watch' with a good battery life.Currently on the Huawei GT2 Smart Watch. Pretty accurate fitness tracking, looks good and most importantly, the battery lasts 10-14 days. Has definitely helped keep my fitness activities more regular.

While I would not say that it is a must have for achieving fitness goals, I would agree having that would help give that extra push.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 18:17   #41
BHPian

I have never liked smart watch or normal watch. Recently someone gifted me a smart watch (Noise colorfit pulse). It looks pretty impressive, and I started liking it. I browsed some of the the top smart watch brands. To my surprise, they are very expensive. Even after discounting the brand premium, its way pricier than what I have. ( M.R.P 5k. Selling price 2.5k) . So I am not sure if it makes sense using it. There has to be some reason why there is a huge price difference. I am planning to give it to my daughter and buy something else. I have zeroed in on apple, garmin, samsung and fitbit. (Most likely apple or garmin). I need help with 2 queries.
1. What is that these premium watches do which my cheaper smartwatch cant do? If it is about accuracy, is there is a massive difference?
2. Which is the best brand? . I know it depends on the specific smart watch. But generally speaking, which is the best among these 4?
Old 7th January 2022, 19:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
(Most likely apple or garmin).
Be aware that you can use Apple Watch only if you have an iPhone. I mean it will still work if you pair with someone else's iPhone and use it yourself but that is not how it supposed to be done and even setting up the apple watch requires an iPhone.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 20:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

I think Fitbit is conservative but tends to be accurate. My Garmin shows a lot of metrics but I'm not sure if they are accurate, especially since it's stress alarm kept going off at all weird times, even during sleep. Gave it to my mom. I'm happy with my Fitbit Versa.
Old 8th January 2022, 10:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
1. What is that these premium watches do which my cheaper smartwatch cant do? If it is about accuracy, is there is a massive difference?
2. Which is the best brand? . I know it depends on the specific smart watch. But generally speaking, which is the best among these 4?
1. I assume that the accuracy will improve with price because they might use better sensors for that price point. Someone who has used both cheaper and expensive smartwatches can confirm.

2. Based on the reviews I have read:

Apple - best suited for iPhone users
Garmin - mainly for sports tracking
Samsung - best suited for Android users in Samsung ecosystem
Fitbit - mainly for fitness tracking
Vin@y is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 09:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Accuracy is academic with any consumer device. In life you cannot micro control your effort unless you're an elite athlete.

As long as any device gives you a fair idea of your exertion or relaxation, you're in good shape. Workout teaching is a hit and miss as i've realized with Garmin 935.

It simply mis counts a lot of my weightlifting workouts. But as long as you know how much you exerted and when you can do a hard workout next - Life is sorted.

Like a phone camera vs a SLR debate in late 2000s, having a device that inspires you to do more, matters more than perfection. And that's what counts for many of us

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th June 2022 at 09:04.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed