Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 02:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!

With due apologies to @aargee and others - do not buy the Whoop or its latest and greatest ilk. I love this device but its not meant for 99% of BHPians.

I admit that the wearable Whoop (www.whoop.com) has been a spectacularly pointless purchase for a sedentary middle aged man like me without a serious workout routine.

Its insights into exertion and recovery need are interesting but useful only for college athletes whose bodies are in a constant state of aerobic fatigue and for whom perfectly timing your sleep is critical. In hindsight I was an idiot and shouldve spent half the money on Fitbit Sense which has FDA approved ECG. Samsung Watch 4 has it as well, I guess.

The achilles heel? If you are a potato like me on half days, then you will not have strain and you won't have recovery (Heart Rate Variability will not spike either way). So this dumb tool thinks that you aren't recovered.

It doesn't realize couch potatoes exert little and rest little.

I love the device otherwise but at 480$ for 24 months, I cannot recommend it. The app is otherwise lovely. The device is quite accurate in measuring sleep, even midday. It auto captures cycling workouts PERFECTLY.

But all of that is little solace if the everyday message is one of endless disapproval.

The Garmin 255 onwards have body battery which is far more useful and as fun in using.

I can still manage with my old 935 but yes, other better devices exist for gadget freaks
Old 2nd September 2022, 07:37   #47
BHPian

Wow, nice to have stumbled upon this thread, has some interesting information here.

I have been into smart watches for a few years now, and I think the choice of smartwatch boils down to what you really want to get done with it.

I have a Garmin vivosport (soft silicone strap gone, arranging for replacement) and Polar Ignite.

While most smartwatches measure the same data, (directionally valid and fairly close), but what differentiates is the insights and software that help you take your journey to fitness.

For example, I was able to compete my goal of doing 5k runs, and do that regularly with the Polar Ignite as the companion. Features that offer insights, if you are overtraining help prevent injury, and help keep you in the productive training zone over the longer horizon. Also, come with structured varied recommendations for workouts based on fitness goals (digital personal coach).

I have been researching on forerunner 55 for sometime now, but I am yet to conclude if these can offer any tangible benefits for my fitness goals, over my current smartwatches, so not in any particular hurry.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 2nd September 2022 at 07:38.
Old 14th November 2022, 23:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile in TIL news, while I no longer recommend the Whoop (it's brilliant and accurate but terribly overpriced and naive in blindly worshipping HRV), it does have some research behind it!
Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!-screenshot_20221114231635.jpg

Fascinating is all I will say.

1200 pregnancies tracked to arrive at this study conclusion. https://www.whoop.com/thelocker/unde...ancy-coaching/
Old 15th November 2022, 02:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

This is a great thread!
I have been wearing Apple watch for a few years now. Prior to that, I was using FitBit. I got tired of replacing it every year because it would stop working.
I am a recreational cyclist, which means that during the winter months of New England, I tend to go into hibernation even though I have an indoor training setup.
So, the one metric that I keep an eye on from my watch is the resting heart rate. I rely on it to remind myself that I am slacking, or that I am not getting enough sleep, or when I am going into overtraining. I mean, I know when I am slacking off but to see it clearly as a trend over 3 months in RHR is really more motivating.
Another thing. These wearables are very good for relative measurements, and not absolute. For example, the number of steps you take and what the watch records might be off but the trend that shows increase/decrease over a time period is extremely useful. Just my 2 cents.
Old 30th August 2023, 06:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
With due apologies to @aargee and others - do not buy the Whoop or its latest and greatest ilk. I love this device but its not meant for 99% of BHPians.

I admit that the wearable Whoop (www.whoop.com) has been a spectacularly pointless purchase for a sedentary middle aged man like me without a serious workout routine.

Its insights into exertion and recovery need are interesting but useful only for college athletes whose bodies are in a constant state of aerobic fatigue and for whom perfectly timing your sleep is critical. In hindsight I was an idiot and shouldve spent half the money on Fitbit Sense which has FDA approved ECG. Samsung Watch 4 has it as well, I guess.

The achilles heel? If you are a potato like me on half days, then you will not have strain and you won't have recovery (Heart Rate Variability will not spike either way). So this dumb tool thinks that you aren't recovered.

It doesn't realize couch potatoes exert little and rest little.

I love the device otherwise but at 480$ for 24 months, I cannot recommend it. The app is otherwise lovely. The device is quite accurate in measuring sleep, even midday. It auto captures cycling workouts PERFECTLY.

But all of that is little solace if the everyday message is one of endless disapproval.

The Garmin 255 onwards have body battery which is far more useful and as fun in using.

I can still manage with my old 935 but yes, other better devices exist for gadget freaks

Near two year update to this thread to update how Whoop helps me live healthier:
- My elder brother (44) passed away an year back thanks to undetected underestimated BP + sugar
- In January, I discovered I had high BP (140/90 spiking to 150/100)
- In February, I discovered that sustained cardio (cycling / running) is reduces BP by 20-25 points (for me - don't take it as applicable for you - check with your cardiologist multiple times *a day* like I did while tapering medicines) - allowing me to get off medication because I was clocking 130/80 and lower multiple times in a day.
- I have since run 400km and cycled 1100km for the year. As a consultant who took ~70-80 flights in the last 12 months, that's a big personal win for me
- I have now become a blind follower of my Whoop vs other devices (Garmin Forerunner 935 / Amazfit Band 7) simply because:
* *- It tells me when I can run well (high HRV) / well rested (low strain in sleeping)
* *- It helped me cut down on terrible cheat meals because it showed how it simply ruined my sleep real-time. Every single time.
* *- It helped me sort out my sleep which gets butchered due to work deadlines / travel
* *- I know when my body absolutely should not be pushed.
* *- I gave up coffee which spikes my BP / heart strain bad. I went from drinking six coffees a day to 2-3 a week only when needed (else zero)

Now, detractors will say the obvious - you don't need a device to tell you this. But that's patently unhelpful (please refer to the first line of this thread).

Life is NOT ideal -
Some of us have high stress jobs (which we love) that you simply cannot walk away from or turn down the intensity
We have enough commitments across the family that must be met
We are imperfect in our health discipline and work best with automated guard rails

If you are similarly imperfect like me, and are over 40 - consider getting a good device that is paranoid about your heart rate measurement, such as Whoop (ideal for US folks - others can use Apple watch or maybe fitbit). Don't get the entry level bands that will give you 70 on a 3 hour sleep and a 90-93 on a lovely 10 hour perfect sleep. That's useless.

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th August 2023 at 06:35.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Is there any ' active tracking ' smartwatch that monitors vitals and alerts if anything is amiss? I have a Samsung watch 3 and 4, and while they monitor heart beat, and even can take ECG and BP, the features seem passive. The heart beat measurement is automatic, but I don't get any alert for sustained high heart beat.

I am looking for a watch that will talk back on its own, buzzing when something seems out of whack. Similar to a machine at a hospital that connects to finger and beeps for out of bound measurements. Any such health watch present?
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 01:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am looking for a watch that will talk back on its own, buzzing when something seems out of whack. Similar to a machine at a hospital that connects to finger and beeps for out of bound measurements. Any such health watch present?
You can try Apple Watches. Apple Watch Series 9 was released just a week back but if you don't want to spend too much you can always opt for the Series 8.

Some of the health features are as follows:-
1. Fall Detection- When a hard fall is detected an alert appears and allows the user to easily call emergency services or dismiss the alert. If the user is unresponsive for about a minute, an emergency call will be placed automatically and a message will be sent to the user’s emergency contacts. All falls detected are recorded in the Health app.

2. Irregular Rhythm Notification- This can detect Irregular Heart Beats and will notify you via a notification.

3. ECG- You can measure ECG on your watch.

These are just some of the features and I have experienced the first two features myself so can vouch for it.

Videos for the same-

ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 02:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any ' active tracking ' smartwatch that monitors vitals and alerts if anything is amiss? I have a Samsung watch 3 and 4, and while they monitor heart beat, and even can take ECG and BP, the features seem passive. The heart beat measurement is automatic, but I don't get any alert for sustained high heart beat.

The galaxy watch 6 series have an option to turn on alert for high & low heart rate. I think it should come to the older 4 & 5 series too with new oneUI update but I am not sure. I remember seeing the alert option thing on a youtube video for the series 6.
Old 26th September 2023, 18:19   #54
BHPian

I use a Garmin Venu 2Plus and it's pretty good (from experience) and based on reviews.
Old 27th September 2023, 10:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
get any alert for sustained high heart beat.
In Galaxy watch 4 you can manually set the high and low heart alert. It is available in HR settings at the bottom.
Old 27th September 2023, 11:41   #56
BHPian

As someone who is fairly physically active for last 20 years, I am yet to convince myself on the need of a Smartwatch. I gave up on classic watches as soon mobile become ubiquitous in our lives, probably reflecting minimalistic undertone.

Despite running for 15km, doing weights for 3-4 hour and playing Squash for 2-3 hours each week, I am yet to see a real need for a health tracker. Although, I remain curious about what to do with truckloads of information that would start to flow in as soon as Smartwatch is plugged into the routine.

For many (including myself) being healthy and happy comes from within. Does it need to be measured, analyzed and continuously monitored?
On the other hand, my professional learnings say what cannot be measured, is difficult to improve.

One more gadget to look at & another dataset to analyze, can easily pop the digital detox resolves for many, and increase screentime.

The conundrum continues in the mind while seated nicely on the fences.

Last edited by Acharya : 27th September 2023 at 11:59.
Acharya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 14:21   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post

One more gadget to look at & another dataset to analyze, can easily pop the digital detox resolves for many, and increase screentime.

The conundrum continues in the mind while seated nicely on the fences.
Cannot agree more. I was walking around one evening and I suddenly realised, I was burning the same number of calories with or without the watch on me lol!

These days even though I still use the watch, I simply use it to keep track of things like sleep quality and resting heart rates. Which is also something I only sync once a week and have a glance at. Else the watch is used like any other clock - to arrive on time.

I no longer care for any "upgrade" anymore. The use cases are dead (maybe a solar smart watch at some point).
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 16:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

This thread is amusing. I pop in once in a while and it's the same arguments. Folks who do not need a smart watch will always find this thread laughable. But this is like neurotypical folks pondering on solutions for neurodivergent folks - it will seem pointless to the extent of being laughable. But this thread is not for neurotypical folks.

Some people need to spend 9k a month on a CGM to improve their health. Of course my mom could have gone low carb and solved her diabetes but she loves her rotis. CGM feedback helped her improveher HBA1c from 12 to 8.5.

Back to my journey. I got my son a Whoop as well. He's a national level swimmer so it helps him with feedback on his bad habits. Its helping but slowly.

I now moved up to an Apple Watch SE2 LTE after a brief failed excursion with Galaxy Watch 4 Classic LTE (I'm an Apple guy).

It's life changing awesome. I workout without my phone.
I lock away my phone for hours to detox as well as workout more efficiently (recall those folks who text between sets? That was me).
I may soon use it to run my Turbo cycling trainer too.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 08:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

15 day update on my apple watch vs Whoop journey. Whoop is clearly better at fitness for two reasons:
A. It tracks your exertion much more sharply. Apple Watch is cardio oriented. it tracks you running perfectly. Apple watch cannot detect weight lifting, something Whoop does perfectly.
B. Apple does not explicitly gamify your recovery, leaving it to your interpretation. Whoop simplifies it. As a now 40 year old with BP and lots of excess weight, I need the closed feedback loop that Whoop gives.

Sample these images. I worked out at Cult doing weights before stretching for exactly this period. Not shabby for basically 2020 end hardware by Whoop vs 2022 Apple S8 processor blah blah.

Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!-img_8435.jpeg
Apple only recognized the cycling to and from the gym, not the work IN the gym
Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!-img_8436.jpeg

And here’s whoop saying old man you only lay in bed for under 6 hours - your body isn’t rested, don’t be a hero!
Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!-img_8438.jpeg

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th January 2024 at 08:22.
Old 9th January 2024, 10:08   #60
BHPian

Just a note on the forceful tone of this thread's title - it is absolutely optional to use a smartwatch for fitness.

In fact, a significant part of fitness is the ability to listen to ones body, a mind-body connection, if you will - including what's ones limits while running, fatigue, which day to take a gym break, whether one needs another hour of sleep today, or today 7 hrs is enough.

Of course, there are folks who'll find gadgets useful to nudge them to do something they want and they should invest in these.
And there are folks, who don't.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks