Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2007, 02:01   #1
BHPian

Help Decide a Laptop

Sorry about starting a new thread. Wanted to post in the laptop specifications thread but the topic will get deviated hence I started a new thread. Am presently at Kuwait and will be buying a laptop within 15 days along with an external Hard Disk. Dint get the time to check on any till now. My friends suggest me to go for a Toshiba Laptop and a Toshiba 20GB Ext HDD ($70)

I want a laptop with these specs,

2GB RAM, minimum 512MB Dedicated memory for the graphic Card, 120GB HDD minimum, still confused wide-screen or not, Preferably light and compact, and mainly must have a nice Battery standby (4 hours???). And coming to the processor, I have no idea to choose between AMD or Intel. The Basic use of the laptop will be a desktop replacement, will carry it out also in my car. Will be starting animation courses soon, so has to cater my graphic requirements (Adobe PS, Maya,3dsmax, etc). A little bit of gaming
(NFS Carbon :P) and music always.

I considered the Acer VX1 Lamborghini series, too pricey. Apart from that, I have no idea. Dell has some pretty cool stuff but I guess they are heavily priced too. Me being a student and Dad funding me, I have to go in for the best and economical one too. So kindly help me decide.

Thanks,
Sagar.
Old 28th May 2007, 02:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
My friends suggest me to go for a Toshiba 20GB Ext HDD ($70)
No, that's quite a bad deal. My brother recently got me a Western Digital 250GB external HDD for $100.

Quote:
2GB RAM, minimum 512MB Dedicated memory for the graphic Card, 120GB HDD minimum, still confused wide-screen or not, Preferably light and compact, and mainly must have a nice Battery standby (4 hours???). And coming to the processor, I have no idea to choose between AMD or Intel. The Basic use of the laptop will be a desktop replacement, will carry it out also in my car. Will be starting animation courses soon, so has to cater my graphic requirements (Adobe PS, Maya,3dsmax, etc). A little bit of gaming
(NFS Carbon :P) and music always.
Sorry but you can't meet the two conditions together unless you buy an insanely expensive laptop. Since you want a high performance machine to operate PS, Maya etc. you're going to have to buy a powerful & so heavy machine. Atleast that's what my experience is.

Quote:
I considered the Acer VX1 Lamborghini series, too pricey. Apart from that, I have no idea. Dell has some pretty cool stuff but I guess they are heavily priced too. Me being a student and Dad funding me, I have to go in for the best and economical one too. So kindly help me decide.
Acer Lambo is nothing but marketing, please don't even consider that in youe list unless you have too much money!! Dell on the other hand is quite VFM contrary to the impression you have. I suggest you open their Kuwait site & configure yourself a laptop & see what it costs.
Old 28th May 2007, 03:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I suggest you open their Kuwait site & configure yourself a laptop & see what it costs.
Sadly, Kuwait doesn't have one. How about suggesting me a few models in various brands including Dell? even for the ext HDD
Old 28th May 2007, 10:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sagar.

I have used Fujitsu, Dell, Toshiba and Acer laptops. I have the Acer Ferrari now. I personally like Toshiba the best (the screen, keypad etc). I wouldn't recommend Acer. If you need a room heater then may be it is a good buy else stick with Toshiba.
Old 28th May 2007, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guess your best bet is the mighty Alienware! Or get a twin OS Intel Mac book. The 2.16Ghz ones available here in India are pretty decent and have 1Gb DDR2, expandable to 3Gb. For good gaming experience, you have to look at hi-end machines.
Old 28th May 2007, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have a toshiba laptop since the last 5 years it is a P-III and still working solid till date....so I can vouch for a toshiba other brand I would recommend are DELL, Sony...
Old 28th May 2007, 11:48   #7
BHPian

512 MB dedicated graphics on a laptop means you are already pushing it beyond $2K range in US itself...
check out the dell xps 1210. It is quite good for the money. On the other hand you can buy a desktop with a 512MB graphics card for around 30-35K and another 30K for a basic laptop...that would be better than one expensive laptop....moreover you will probably need a 17 inch screen for all the applications that you were mentioning....and 17 laptops are MASSIVE....so take that into consideration too...
Old 28th May 2007, 11:50   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is a specific thread for laptops, and its best to stick to that thread only.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks