Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 16:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I am a supporter of opensource.
Me too. Am not too pleased with MS' monopoly. I boot thro' windowz only for video editing. I have Solaris and Linux for everything else. Both work flawlessly on my laptop.
Old 29th May 2007, 17:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Vista is an amalgamation of GUIs from Macs and others. Theres nothing else to it. Some security features have been updated and has some new "features" evangelizing it to the multimedia developer community- but the ROI on this OS is too low to be considered for any corporate upgrade. In short, its for those who like a psychadelic experience of colors in the same spot and dont care abt much else.

EDIT: People are better off with a transformation pack on XP to experience the Vista GUI

Last edited by theMAG : 29th May 2007 at 17:23.
Old 29th May 2007, 17:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Amen. Ubuntu Feisty with desktop effects enabled runs smoother and looks better than Aero on my lowly 32 bit Athlon and DirectX 7 onboard graphics with 512 MB ram !
Old 29th May 2007, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

the vista is a total flop show.....it is like windows me of present day....no driver support, no hardware support...
Old 29th May 2007, 17:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well i was beta tester of Longhorn and people who r using should thank MS for not including their new MS file system in vista coz then yer system will be even slower than a snail.

And yeah Vista is not at a gr8 windows. Stick to XP (2 years now on same laptop with XP). I read somewhere that MS it self said that Vista is not doing good.

I would rather install Windows XP SP3(due this year end) instead of Vista SP1
Old 29th May 2007, 17:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

We have bought some laptops at work. We are ripping the Vista away and installing either Solaris, Windows XP or Linux. Most of the people who depend on their system will not use Vista till SP1. Worse still, with Vista it is very difficult (almost impossible for most users) to install a second OS (linux for example).
Old 29th May 2007, 18:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

I had taken no back up of recovery files or anything (lesson learnt here - the hard way). So I tried installing a pirated version of Vista, which failed - 3 times.

So I was fed up and asked my guy to format the HD and install XP. It fails to format the HD too now. twice. Then we do a quick format which suceeds and try installing XP , it works fine till 45 % and then it goes nowhere. Try again , same thing.

Shut up the system, dump it into the bag and off we go the service centre. Explain the problem to the guy and he diagnoses and says the problem could be due to bad sectors on the HD. Give him the lappy and he gives us the receipt where the problem observed reads " Missing OS / #1-07 FAIL". This apparently means my HD is gone. So we talk to the guy and ask him if he can do us a favor by lending us the HD so that we could try and recover our data. He says not possible but for us he will bend the rules. There is nothing, a little sweet and friendly talk can't get you.

So now I hope get back my lappy with the new HD and Vista again as there is this wierd rule that the HP guys at the Kalina service centre cannot change the OS.

Am hoping for the best. The service centre guys were pretty helpful and co-operative too. Full marks there.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 29th May 2007 at 18:25.
Old 29th May 2007, 19:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
there is this wierd rule that the HP guys at the Kalina service centre cannot change the OS.
This is not wierd. When a platform is launched, the OEM does a comprehensive testing of the package (OS+ driver + HW + firmware + what not). Changing OS means, above the hardware level, you are changing the whole stack of SW. And this with MS based software, is a really dangerous proposition. So basically the service guys are not allowed to change to untested OS, like that.

Infact, nowadays no OEM is talking about XP. Its vista, vista, vista all the way.
Old 29th May 2007, 19:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere that Microsoft has sold 40 million copies of Vista already.
Old 29th May 2007, 19:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It is just a marketing tactic....
Old 29th May 2007, 19:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

that means NC problem was with your hard disk and not with Vista,an OS crash will corrupt ur OS data but never any other data that u store on ur HDD and with NTFS most of the times the OS files also don't have problem.
Old 29th May 2007, 19:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It is just a marketing tactic....
Yes its is. But then MS is a listed company. Can they lie?? The no might include all the OEM license, which might appear at stores in future.
Old 29th May 2007, 20:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Haha,another one bites the dust!

Honestly you wont regret buying vista till you try to set up a LAN with it.I know,..I tried,..I failed,..
Old 29th May 2007, 20:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Haha,another one bites the dust!

Honestly you wont regret buying vista till you try to set up a LAN with it.I know,..I tried,..I failed,..
why,what happened?
i have lan between Vista and Xp machine.u have to download one patch for Xp machines for proper networking,but without it also it must work.

I have faced problems in ICS,some how vista blocks the DNS requests by the Xp machines,so even if the internet connection is visible on Xp i cant browse anything from it but i can ping any IP,i havent found a solution yet.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 29th May 2007 at 20:30.
Old 29th May 2007, 21:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
In the form of buy 1 get 5 free or China's contribution to the world of free software

Most Viewed