Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 21:24   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
wondering where did 15 GB go?
Alright, It was the system volume information. used for system restore etc. it's taking up 14+ GB. anybody knows how to manage system restore space?
Old 16th December 2008, 21:28   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright, It was the system volume information. used for system restore etc. it's taking up 14+ GB. anybody knows how to manage system restore space?
Right click the My Computer icon and select Properties followed by System Restore. You can set how much space you want to allow for each drive's restore.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:34   #438
Senior - BHPian

nope, that's for xp.

just found out this works in vista.

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=6GB
Old 16th December 2008, 21:51   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nope, that's for xp.

just found out this works in vista.

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=6GB
Sorry 'bout that! Never did switch to Vista.
Matter of fact I disable the native restore in XP and rely on Acronis, a far more reliable friend!
Ever noticed how the native restore NEVER releases space? The damn thing keeps holding till the set limit!

Last edited by anupmathur : 16th December 2008 at 21:52.
Old 18th December 2008, 19:55   #440
Senior - BHPian

ok experts, another problem for you cheers:

while to trying to play with my master boot record, to make my lappy dual bootable, i realized my "run as administrator" context menu doesn't work anymore. It's available, but it doesn't ask for password and eventually fails because of lack of authorization. I badly need it for my work.

and oh, the dual boot still doesn't work.
Old 19th December 2008, 11:23   #441
Senior - BHPian

What are the dual boot OS'es that you are using?
Old 19th December 2008, 11:42   #442
BHPian

what are the 2 OS being used?
did you try going into the User Account Control and changing the Administrator settings.
Old 19th December 2008, 20:22   #443
Senior - BHPian

linux suse and windows vista. i finally used easybcd to modify my MBR and dual boot works now. I was told i will not HAVE to do it. anyway.

but the run as admin is gone forever.
Old 26th January 2009, 18:10   #444
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I just had to put in a note on my experience with Vista. Here goes:

I had been a Vista hater. Until the last week. I had only seen Vista on my li'l brother’s laptop & that of a coupla friends. While the graphics were nice, I didn't think too much of Vista since all the computers I tried it on were running SLOW, despite a decent 2 GB of RAM.

A Dell XPS Laptop rolled into my house earlier this month. It's only going to be used on evenings, weekends and travels. Unfortunately (or so I thought), while my Dell work desktop (bought last year) came with an optional downgrade to XP, this laptop didn't. A little google'ing and a quick call to Iraghava confirmed that XP could be made to run successfully on the XPS. But locating & installing the drivers was going to be a royal pain (this one has the works....fingerprint, bluetooth, cam etc. etc.). Iraghava promised to courier me a cd containing all the relevant drivers, so we were pretty much set.

Not too many of us can resist the urge to play with a new tech toy, correct? I figured, while the driver cd was on the way, why not use Vista and get some work done on the weekend? I performed a clean install, got rid of all the bloatware and only installed the absolute must-have softwares. Thanks to Samurai, I realised that all of my vital softwares (designed to work on XP) would work on Vista as well (cross-checked with other users and used compatibility mode).

Confession: The more I started using Vista, the more I took a liking for it. Confession: I am impressed! I don't know if the latest service packs have increased Vistas response time, but the laptop is pretty darn quick. It's running on a Core2Duo 2.0 with 3 GB of RAM compared to my XP workstation running on a Core2Duo with 4 GB of RAM. Honestly, the difference between the two is 5 - 8%. Tops. Vista feels much better to use, thanks to the awesome graphics. Plus, my anti-virus doesn’t seem to be working as hard as it does on XP.
In a nutshell:

Pros
- Much improved over the earlier versions. Naysayers ought to try it again.
- Awesome graphical UI. The windows experience feels much richer.
- More secure.
- Higher level of customisation & control panel options.
- All softwares come with Vista compatible versions

Cons
- Takes some getting used to. As an XP convert, I can tell you that the first couple of hours weren’t as productive.
- As quick as the Vista is running on my laptop, XP would definitely run faster.

As you can tell, I have cancelled all XP downgrade plans for my home laptop
Old 26th January 2009, 19:24   #445
Senior - BHPian

@GTO- Am using a Sony Vaio which has just 1gb ram and Using Vista Home premium since day one as it came company installed.
Not once any prob in it and just loved it. XP to me now seems a very outdated version.
By the way does anyone know when is microsoft releasing another version?
Old 26th January 2009, 19:45   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
By the way does anyone know when is microsoft releasing another version?
Heard windows 7 is running well. Also, that MS is planning on trying to integrate their antivirus program into that version.
Old 26th January 2009, 20:14   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Heard windows 7 is running well. Also, that MS is planning on trying to integrate their antivirus program into that version.
Isn't it high, very high, time that they did it?! Billy ought to know best how to save his own windows! How come they never bothered to incorporate a full fledged AntiVirus into any of the Windows so far?
Another instance of corporate wheeling-dealing? You scratch my back, I scratch yours?
Old 26th January 2009, 20:24   #448
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

The first thing I do on any system is disable all fancy visual effects. check after doing that if it is at par with XP.

I love vista too, except for the fact that i keep losing connection when i put my comp to sleep. the MS solution given was to install a patch and SP1, but that caused even the sleep mode to stop working. did a system restore immediately. I guess i will do a clean install again.
Old 26th January 2009, 20:28   #449
BHPian

I have been using Vista Ultimate SP1 on my old Dell Inspiron E1405 Core2Duo 1.66 GHz with 1 GB RAM for last one month or so. Its been relatively smooth sailing, as I use my laptop just to browse internet and chat purposes. No serious work is done there.

One thing I noticed is that Firefox 3 crashes a lot of times on VIsta, where as it didnt use to crash on XP SP2. Does anyone experiencing the same? Any possible reasons for it?
Old 26th January 2009, 20:33   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Isn't it high, very high, time that they did it?! Billy ought to know best how to save his own windows! How come they never bothered to incorporate a full fledged AntiVirus into any of the Windows so far?
Another instance of corporate wheeling-dealing? You scratch my back, I scratch yours?
United States v. Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short, they would be sued. The result of that case is Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows XP N Editions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks