Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 13:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
N_C faced some issue in synchronizing his mobile; I daily synchronize my E61 with Outlook, never faced any problems.
Did I ? I dont think I faced any problem with syncing my mobile to Outlook 2003 on Vista.

BTW - Are you sure you don't have to download codecs for playing videos of different formats ? I could not.
Old 30th May 2007, 14:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Did I ? I dont think I faced any problem with syncing my mobile to Outlook 2003 on Vista.

BTW - Are you sure you don't have to download codecs for playing videos of different formats ? I could not.
Oops; I think I read your message in haste and mis-contrued it.

My lappy was playing mpg, wmv, api and DVDs before installing anything; but could not play mp4 and 3gp. After I installed iTunes, which in-turn installed QuickPlayer, I have been able to play these formats as well.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 30th May 2007, 19:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Ok the thing about Vista is,..its too damn futuristic.3 Laptops running XP were connected and running in no time;i think some 10 minutes.And vista!1 and a half hours!.First you hve to figure out how to configure the damn thing.Then configuring it is completely different from XP.

Its a great product,..no doubt.But the indian market isn't ready for it.
yes that u have to,because the networking stack is completly rewritten,its optimised for IPV6 native support thats why IPV4 is a little complicated.

ntormer,ur vista takes 1.5 mins to boot,thats too much,mine is max 25 secs.
overtime vista performance improves as superfetch cache starts implementing,if anyone has 512 mb ram or 1gb ram and u want to improve ur vista response use a 1 gb pendrive,this device will be used by readyboost feature to improve cache(pagefile) response time and hence will improve your responsiveness.

u need a good pendrive though with atleast 1.5mb/write and 5 mb/read non sequential.

from what i can see most people are having problems with Vista Home premium and vista basic,is this OS compromised compared to vista ultimate because on my PC atleast the Vista runs much faster though gaming is relatively poor.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 30th May 2007 at 19:31.
Old 1st June 2007, 13:16   #49
Team-BHP Support

Nine burning questions about how Vista is <i>really</i> doing

Quote:
Big organizations are generally slow to upgrade to new versions of Windows because of software compatibility problems, retraining and other management headaches. Of the six million PCs sold to large U.S. enterprises in the first quarter, only a million came with Vista, says IDC’s Daoud. And a huge percentage of those million PCs were immediately wiped clean of Vista and re-installed with XP. The pricey contracts these customers hold with Microsoft allow them to re-install Vista later, when they are ready to upgrade.
Old 1st June 2007, 17:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

I sit nearby our sysadmins offices. they're removing preinstalled vista from a bunch of newly acquired IBM lenovo systems as we speak!
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

If the system gets sluggish because of Vista, i agree there are some problems with O/S which could be fixed with future service packs.
But if your existing peripherals and softwares are incompatible with the new O/S, then i think you should blame the vendors of those products for not releasing service packs and updated drivers to work with new O/S. Who would you blame if the ICE from your old car doesn't work in your new car? If you have to stick with an old O/S because your existing softwares don't work with Vista, it's your decision. Why blame MS for that? Blame your application vendor for ripping customers to support new o/s.

Most of the enterprises can't risk switching to new O/S without proper testing. It's no big thing that they are replacing the O/S with XP. On my laptop i don't use even XP. I run Windows 2000 server on my laptop because i work for a large enterprise application development company and XP doesn't have all the feature required to run our application.

MS is selling Vista in good numbers be it either through OEM channels or as a boxed product.
ENT News Online | News: Gates: 40 Million Vista Licenses in First 100 Days

Last edited by satish_appasani : 2nd June 2007 at 01:38.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

Well as per my last post - the service centre in Vashi was supposed to format the HD and let the HP guys and me know about the problem. Also after formatting he was supposed to give me the HD so that I could try and recover whatever I could.

FLASHBACK - But - the HD failed to format. He called me and let me know that the HD is simply not responding and he could not format it and so he has forwarded a request for a replacement.

Today morning a few minutes back, I got a call asking me to come and pick up the laptop. Its ready. I now am leaving for the service centre to pick up my lappy and more importantly to find out the problem.

Will keep you guys updated.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

Could be a defective HDD?

What O/S was installed after the format?
Old 17th June 2007, 10:25   #54
BHPian

I've had no problems with Vista so far. Runs like a charm. You can use XP drivers on 32-bit Vista and 95% of the time, it works.
I'm actually quite impressed with the driver support in vista. When I first installed it, it automatically scanned my hardware and installed the drivers for my ATI cards, Logitech webcam etc from the internet. I've never had to install anything later from the CD.

Although running games requires a decent amount of hardware upgrade, I'd say that the games look fantastic on Vista. Both Halo and Halo 2 are beautiful, Halo 2 on Vista looks better than the one on XBOX 360.

Also, Vista is hardware accelerated like Linus and Mac OS, so it utilizes your hardware better than XP. And it also utilizes dual core more efficiently.
I'd say, on a desktop, 1 GB of RAM is enough for the Aero interface to run smoothly alongwith everything else.
Old 19th June 2007, 12:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

This might be a bit Off Topic, but don't know where to put this query. Didn't want to start a new thread.
I need an OS for my desktop, fast. Had XP Pro SP2 (pirated) for some time as I lost my XP genuine media. Which OS should I go for? My rig's configuration:
AMD X2 4400
MSI K8N SLI
3gb DDR
Was offered Vista Home Premium for about 9k, but after reading so many bad reviews about Vista I'm confused. Please help!
Old 19th June 2007, 16:31   #56
Team-BHP Support

get vista. i have a 2gb ram and 256mb display.. hasnt even hung once in 4 months.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

@ akshay1234 - Vista Home Premium? Its safe right? I have HUGE amount of data and would be in a very bad situation if the data is damaged.
Old 19th June 2007, 19:36   #58
BANNED

Alternatives to Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
I need an OS for my desktop, fast. Had XP Pro SP2 (pirated) for some time as I lost my XP genuine media.
Shhh!!! you should not say that in public.

Quote:

Which OS should I go for? My rig's configuration:
Try Ubuntu - Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Disclaimer - I am a great Ubuntu fan; none of the machines I own (two, to be precise) run anything except Linux. I dual boot Ubuntu and Debian they are similar and different at the same time.
Old 19th June 2007, 20:42   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ akshay1234 - Vista Home Premium? Its safe right? I have HUGE amount of data and would be in a very bad situation if the data is damaged.
i think its safe. just enable windows defender and get an antivirus. it should be fine. even i would be in a bad situation if i lost all my data which is mainly media.
Old 20th June 2007, 01:33   #60
BHPian

VISTA is an awesome OS...especially if ur using Vista Ultimate Edition with AERO enabled(loads of eye candy...just too good) on a compatible system when I built my latest system I was planning to make it Vista capable and it turned out to be Vista Super Capable (My system's Vista Experience Index rating is 4.5) and I have enjoyed Vista Beta 2 Ultimate to the fullest....trust me if u have a compatible system them u'll forget XP in no time...By now most companies have release drivers for Vista for their hardware and only thing needed is the SP1 (which will take a li'll time)...in other words Vista is probably the only complete OS that M$ has ever built.....its tooooooooo good and I'm loving it....

Moderate Note:
PLEASE AVOID EXCESSIVE DOTTY TYPING

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks