https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/do...hd/page-9.html
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 18:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Samsung Flagship Soundbar Review | HW-Q950A 11.1.4 Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Yes. Absolutely
I have a 2015 Bravia 4K at home with ARC and with that I am able to try the Compressed Atmos. Just curious to hear how much better is True Atmos - may not be too much on a Soundbar - but still curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Checked with a friend and he replies - "After Bluray, the only reliable source is Netflix. eARC capable TV with eARC receiver/Soundbar"
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Super - will download these as well!
Old 16th February 2022, 18:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Just curious to hear how much better is True Atmos - may not be too much on a Soundbar - but still curious.
From what i can imagine it would not be too much of a difference. For real atmos you would need dedicated ceiling speakers.

But yes, when a hardware supports a feature we must fully utilize that feature no?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 19:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
sound output is just a number, I hardly cross 0,3 W on this pair of Mono-blocks I currently have. Usually, it’s less than 0,03 W. And, no am not referring to the headphones, each of these amplifier weighs around 45 Kg and the speaker it drives are even heavier
Since you have used this term, I will add a bit, listening differently from L & R or centre is not the aim. Ideally, soundstage should be immersive, as if you are actually listening live say on a stage.
Enjoy
Beautiful set of Monoblocks you have, rightly said. In real scenario watts hardly matter but the way they are implemented matters most. I too am on a verge of building Nelson Pass 10w Monoblocks after I heard how beautiful they sound.

Quote:
Just curious to hear how much better is True Atmos - may not be too much on a Soundbar - but still curious.
Huge difference but, you need ceiling speakers. Currently I have a 5.1.2 setup comprising of Denon x3700, QA3050i package, BIC PL300 subwoofer and Micca ceiling speakers.

Some movies or TV series are mixed beautifully. Try Money Heist season 5 episode 1 start scene to really notice Atmos. The sound pans from top right to top left and so on. One of my test scene while setting up HT's.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 00:00   #35
BHPian

I couldn't get ATMOS work with Amazon Fire stick, but works with my Sony Blu-ray. Both connected to Yamaha RX-A2050 in 7.2.2 layout.

Mad Max sounded way better with Blu-ray.

Looks like Fire stick has some limitations with ATMOS (even for NetFlix).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd February 2022 at 10:11. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
Old 17th February 2022, 03:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I couldn't get ATMOS work with Amazon Fire
Did the source audio stream have an Atmos track?
Depending on your generation of Firestick, Atmos is supported. Link

Blu Ray will always sound and even look better than anything you stream. There is a lot less compressions going on with a Blu Ray disc.
Old 18th February 2022, 09:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Did the source audio stream have an Atmos track?
Depending on your generation of Firestick, Atmos is supported. Link
Many of the new NetFlix contents comes in Dolby Vision and ATMOS in my Sony TV with the same account, but "FireStick 4K" defaults to HD. And I knew FireStick 4K claims ATMOS support when I purchased it. So it is a technical glitch. After some more research I believe my Sony projector is the culprit. It is FHD projector. I wonder why can't they do ATMOS audio even if picture is FHD
Old 21st February 2022, 03:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder why can't they do ATMOS audio even if picture is FHD
That is because Atmos or any object based audio standard requires e-arc hdmi. Forget Atmos, you can't do uncompressed 7.1 under standard HDMI ARC.

Now that you've confirmed your projector can do FHD, I doubt if its anything higher than HDMI 1.4.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 09:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
That is because Atmos or any object based audio standard requires e-arc hdmi. Forget Atmos, you can't do uncompressed 7.1 under standard HDMI ARC.

Now that you've confirmed your projector can do FHD, I doubt if its anything higher than HDMI 1.4.
Yes, it is Sony VPL-HW40ES projector with HDMI 1.4.
Since the Yamaha receiver has HDMI 2.0a, supporting 4K Ultra HD with HDCP 2.2 and HDR, I was hoping ATMOS will be played by the receiver irrespective of the projector limitation.

Looks like it is time to upgrade projector
Old 22nd February 2022, 04:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like it is time to upgrade projector
Woah! You want to slow down on that. I stand corrected.
I realize you have a modern Atmos capable AV receiver and the Firestick is connected to the receiver (not the projector). In this case, Atmos will work. Its a matter of going through the audio settings on your Firestick.

Is there such a thing on the Firestick as described here or page 12 here by Boyd392. Looks like a lot of users have experienced the issue.

The example is not the same as yours, however, the setting required to get Atmos to work should be the same.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd February 2022 at 04:25.
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Woah! You want to slow down on that. I stand corrected.

Is there such a thing on the Firestick as described here or page 12 here by Boyd392. Looks like a lot of users have experienced the issue.
Yes, I did go through this and tried everything in this thread and pretty much all settings proposed by others on internet.

From one other source I learned that Firestick 4k supports ATMOS only with Prime. However Firestick 4k max supports ATMOS with Netflix and Disney as well.

Firestick is configured to best available under audio settings. That is the setting suggested by Amazon. And in prime video, you should be able to switch to ATMOS in video settings while playing.

All these work on my Sony TV including Dolby Vision.

I still see a strong correlation between 4k video and ATMOS. Firestick seems to auto detect the screen resolution and limits the audio to Dolby Digital +

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd February 2022 at 10:10. Reason: Typos.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firestick seems to auto detect the screen resolution and limits the audio to Dolby Digital +
Its a bit strange why they would do that. Almost sounds like they are forcing you to buy another device.

If you have a laptop with HDMI 2.0 out, you might want to check for this behavior. Alternatively, if you can loan or borrow a Apple TV 4K and check if it does the same thing.
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From one other source I learned that Firestick 4k supports ATMOS only with Prime. However Firestick 4k max supports ATMOS with Netflix and Disney as well.

Firestick is configured to best available under audio settings. That is the setting suggested by Amazon. And in prime video, you should be able to switch to ATMOS in video settings while playing.
I had a chat with Amazon India Support and as per them Atmos on Prime Video is not working and they are still looking at fixing it. They said it may be working only with Jack Ryan as of now.

Does Disney Hotstar have Atmos support at all? I did not know this.

As for Atmos, I have seen Atmos work with a 1080P Firestick as well recently but it is the compressed Dolby Atmos as far as my conclusion goes since the screen shows Atmos but Soundbar did not. I am guessing all streaming platforms only provide the Compressed Dolby Atmos which works with the older ARC as well and does not need eARC.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 22nd February 2022 at 11:24.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I had a chat with Amazon India Support and as per them Atmos on Prime Video is not working and they are still looking at fixing it. They said it may be working only with Jack Ryan as of now.
I have completed all my tests and can confirm that Firestick 4K does not support ATMOS at least in India.

FireTV stick on Yamaha RX A2050 + FHD Projector -> Limits video to FHD and Audio to Dolby digital Plus.

FireTV stick on 4K HDR screen -> Plays 4K HDR/UHD video, but audio is still limited to Dolby digital plus

Sony Bravia 4K Android TV (Native Netflix App) -> Plays both Dolby vision and ATMOS.

So clearly it is a FireTV stick limitation.
I wounder why Amazon is making false advertisements of ATMOS support on their TV stick. If they can't support with contents, they should disclose that upfront.

I am guessing that is the case with Firestick 4k MAX as well. Everything stays on paper.
Old 26th February 2022, 11:05   #45
BHPian

Finally the mystery solved. It is the FireTV stick 4k that claims ATMOS support, but doesn't do it in reality.
After some research, I bought FireTV stick 4k MAX and now get Dolby ATMOS with NetFlix. Still doesn't see ATMOS in prime. I guess that is a prime limitation vsrivasta noted here.
Though it has not made a huge difference in listening experience, I get some satisfaction seeing ATMOS on the receiver now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks