Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 115 61.83%
Mandriva 2 1.08%
Debian 14 7.53%
Gentoo 4 2.15%
Red Hat 37 19.89%
Slackware 6 3.23%
SuSE 16 8.60%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 7 3.76%
Any other 24 12.90%
Fedora 28 15.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 15:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have been working on linux for the past 6 years now. I can state my transition as Red Hat 9 -> Fedora -> Fedora 2 -> Suse 9.3 -> Suse 10.1 -> Ubuntu 8.04 -> Ubuntu 9.04.

From my experience, I can say that Ubuntu 9.04 is one of the best distros out there. Bundled alongwith ext4 filesystem, it is the fastest distro ever to have worked on.
Old 3rd September 2009, 01:09   #47
BHPian

so guys - gnome or kde ?
How to install KDE on Ubuntu
i am running ubuntu but was thinking of installing kubuntu packages on top so that i have the flexibility to try out kde too.
basically got impressed by this kde 4.3 sneak peak
KDE's Seigo gives sneak peek at version 4.3 - Techworld

I won't be switching to kde completely though (as i hear its rich in gui but also buggy at times), cos i am one of the very few users running linux on corp laptop and and am completely un-supported by corporate IT (windows and mac supported by them). I need my laptop to work as a lot of times i need to take my lappy out for a quick preso to customers :-)

Last edited by jassi : 3rd September 2009 at 01:11.
Old 3rd September 2009, 04:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Gnome or Kde is a Personal Choice.Gnome is Simple and Supports KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid) and Kde ,gives options to tweak most of the settings.Even Gnome too!But Hidden in a registry(xml) like configuration.Using gtweak-ui and gconf2(gconftool),these too are achievable.

Personally ,I preferred Gnome2.x .Kde4.x releases were having some issues in early releases.it might have got fixed in latest iterations.
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
so guys - gnome or kde ?
How to install KDE on Ubuntu
i am running ubuntu but was thinking of installing kubuntu packages on top so that i have the flexibility to try out kde too.
Using apt-get you can easily install kde packages. I am using Kile (Kde integrated latex environment) on ubuntu 9.04 without installing the complete kde.

My Linux experience dates back to Slackware 4.3 days (on a 486). Having tried several distros (slackware>redhat>xandros> mandriva>knoppix>suse>ubuntu) I have now stabilized with ubuntu.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 3rd September 2009 at 07:17.
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
OT - Can I have a dual boot system with Vista and Ubuntu ? Anyone tried it yet ?
I have Windows 2000 Server, Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu in same hardware.

Ubuntu has a option to install your version even without re-partitioning or formating. Just select the 2nd option (One that installs as a application) and it puts all under one folder called Ubuntu. Thats it. You will have the windows boot loader and it will have a option to boot from Ubuntu.

Very easy. No hassles. Try and let us know
Old 5th September 2009, 21:41   #51

Debian / Ubuntu

Equally comforting to someone starting out with *nix or pro's.

Best Regards.
Old 6th September 2009, 09:39   #52
BHPian

Slackware 13.0 is out with kernel 2.6.29.x and KDE 4.2.x , Though useful as a desktop OS, it is rock solid as a Server OS. To my knowledge, on Slackware they have never included a package in their release until it is robust or meet their standards. It is very evident from the fact that they were having KDE3.5.x as the X11 till last week.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I have Windows 2000 Server, Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu in same hardware.

Ubuntu has a option to install your version even without re-partitioning or formating. Just select the 2nd option (One that installs as a application) and it puts all under one folder called Ubuntu. Thats it. You will have the windows boot loader and it will have a option to boot from Ubuntu.

Very easy. No hassles. Try and let us know
Yeah, its an excellent thing with Ubuntu that it installs within windows. It came as a surprise as no other distro has that option. Its now a breeze for first time linux users to have a go at it.
Old 7th September 2009, 23:31   #54
BHPian

Well never did I imagine that I would find such a thread in this forum. The first Linux distro that I had used was Knoppix 4.x That was followed by PCQLinux that came with the PCQuest magazine. Then I had moved to Suse and used it for quite some time. After that I tried Slackware and am still using it. At one point I had 7 OS loaded on my PC. It was XP, Slackware, Backtrak 2, Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora, DSL. Something I haven't yet tried is the Debian and the Gentoo. Also, I had tried FreeBSD once.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:42   #55
BHPian

Anyone uses Arch here?
Old 11th February 2010, 16:56   #56
BHPian

Arch user

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Anyone uses Arch here?
My laptop is running archlinux for the past four years. I was using slackware in my early college days. I used to experiment regularly with different releases of redhat, suse, debian, mandrake and gentoo (bandwidth is free), but used to quickly go back to slackware. I moved on to linuxfromscratch and used it about two years, and moved to archlinux about six years back. I neither found a need nor time to change it afterwards.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

A noob question to all the Linux guys/experts.

I have 2 laptops [one used by my bro] and would like to try my hand at linux on them. Both of them currently run Vista basic. I am not liking it very much.

The usage of the laptops is for basic stuff like viewing/editing powerpoint, excel and word docs, music, movies [avi files saved on an external HDD and also written to DVD's] and videos.

i DON'T have a net connection at home.

Which is a good Linux Distro for first timers please?

Some of them i came across on the net as good for first timers and noobs with Linux/Unix are as below:

1. Linux Mint
2. Ubuntu
3. Fedora

Please let me know which is a good one of the 3 above. Anything better than the 3 above, am game to try that as well.

Will the software required to run office, movies etc come pre-installed with the OS itself? Sorry for the barrage of questions. Help appreciated.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:00   #58
BHPian

For the first time users, I feel Ubuntu is the best bet. It provides good assistance specially for people moving from Windows to Linux.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
For the first time users, I feel Ubuntu is the best bet. It provides good assistance specially for people moving from Windows to Linux.
Gr8.. thanks for the info Gandhi. Is there any way of acquiring Ubuntu, apart from downloading it from the net?

Also are there software available for all the basic stuff mentioned in my previous post. Coz without them, it would render the laptop useless.

Appreciate your help.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:10   #60
BHPian

I was a Fedora fan from the day it launched. But now a SuSE fan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks