Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 115 61.83%
Mandriva 2 1.08%
Debian 14 7.53%
Gentoo 4 2.15%
Red Hat 37 19.89%
Slackware 6 3.23%
SuSE 16 8.60%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 7 3.76%
Any other 24 12.90%
Fedora 28 15.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:28   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I remember your comment about integrated experience for developers somewhere on this forum, and am looking forward to experience. I suppose you are more a developer than a sysadmin, and hence my curiosity.
Yeah, we have adopted Eclipse platform for development under Linux. It gives similar IDE for Win/Mac/Linux platform and most languages.

I am originally a developer who also does system/network/PBX/company administration. Such is life in tiny companies. Too many hats.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:34   #92
BHPian

i use edubuntu and for special times (read wpa cracking) backtrack linux.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:30   #93
BHPian

Installed the just released Open Suse 11.3 over the weekend. It is awesome. I just put the DVD in and clicked next a few times and then went away for lunch. By the time i returned, it had already installed and booted properly. The release is rock solid so far and the KDE 4.4.4 implementation is the best around. So I suggest people who are using Kubuntu or other KDE distros to give this a try.
Old 19th July 2010, 18:44   #94
jp1
BHPian

Using Fedora

Few years ago, we started with Redhat, then moved on to Fedora and currently most servers are running Fedora.

I am not an expert, but can manage.

Network Firewall done using iptables

Proxy using squid

Development platform is eclipse

Version control using svn

Open Office for word processing on mostly XP

DB MySql with innodb engine

Mail server is qmail with vpopmail, procmail, fetchmail, clamAv, .. I would like to migrate to an easier mail server without having to use so many components. Any suggestions?. Tried citadel, but not very happy with the web interface.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:10   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Mail server is qmail with vpopmail, procmail, fetchmail, clamAv, .. I would like to migrate to an easier mail server without having to use so many components. Any suggestions?. Tried citadel, but not very happy with the web interface.
Why do you need fetchmail and procmail on a mail server? These are supposed to be used by endusers / individuals.

For pop3 servers - consider qpopper, courier, dovecot ...

And exim4 for mailserver.
Old 20th July 2010, 08:42   #96
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you need fetchmail and procmail on a mail server? These are supposed to be used by endusers / individuals.

For pop3 servers - consider qpopper, courier, dovecot ...

And exim4 for mailserver.
My qmail server is an internal mail server, not facing the internet. The real mail server is with ISP and use fetch mail to get the mail to qmail. procmail I use to filter the mails for all unwanted stuff and then forward it to qmail.

Among your suggestions above for pop3, which one would be easier to setup? can it be intergrated with clamAv for virus and spams?
Old 20th July 2010, 09:28   #97
Senior - BHPian

In my earlier company, we used a distribution called CentOS. This mainly hosted MySQL DB servers.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:03   #98
BHPian

Ubuntu 10.04

I have moved completely to Ubuntu 10.04 for all my needs including at work (email, calendaring everything). Working like a charm.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:05   #99
BHPian

^^ ditto - i am on ubuntu 10.04 karmic koala since the time it was in beta :-)
Old 20th July 2010, 18:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

^^ Isnt 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And yes, I am also on it. Works very very well and I am impressed. The compiz is real fun!
Old 20th July 2010, 18:29   #101
BHPian

yeah lucid lynx - have been on since jaunty and messed up the names :-P waiting for maverick meerkat 10.10 now :-)
Old 20th July 2010, 20:59   #102
BHPian

Isadora
I use linux mint, the latest code named as isadora. It is the remix of ubuntu and much better

girish
Old 20th July 2010, 23:44   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
My qmail server is an internal mail server, not facing the internet. The real mail server is with ISP and use fetch mail to get the mail to qmail. procmail I use to filter the mails for all unwanted stuff and then forward it to qmail.
Try spamassassin, if you are doing spam filtering using procmail.

Actually, you may be better off using the default packages which come with your distro. I use exim4 because that is the default on Debian.

Quote:
Among your suggestions above for pop3, which one would be easier to setup? can it be intergrated with clamAv for virus and spams?
Clamav and spamassassin could be integrated into most MTAs. Please check with the documentation of each MTA on how to do it.

And how are you handling authentication? LDAP?

For normal system with users having shell / login access, qpopper is a zero configuration installation. Install qpopper on the server, where the user has login access, and the user can access his mail from any system, if he points the mail client ot he server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In my earlier company, we used a distribution called CentOS. This mainly hosted MySQL DB servers.
CentOS is a re-compiled version of Red Hat Enerprise Linux (RHEL).
Old 21st July 2010, 09:17   #104
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Try spamassassin, if you are doing spam filtering using procmail.

Actually, you may be better off using the default packages which come with your distro. I use exim4 because that is the default on Debian.

Clamav and spamassassin could be integrated into most MTAs. Please check with the documentation of each MTA on how to do it.

And how are you handling authentication? LDAP?

For normal system with users having shell / login access, qpopper is a zero configuration installation. Install qpopper on the server, where the user has login access, and the user can access his mail from any system, if he points the mail client ot he server.

CentOS is a re-compiled version of Red Hat Enerprise Linux (RHEL).
I am having spamassassin also part of the installation. I followed qmailrocks.org installation procedure. This was few years ago.

All clients are on WinXp and using thunderbird email client to access the server. As all Fedoras are servers, only admin users get access to it.

Thanks for your inputs, let me try
Old 7th December 2010, 08:09   #105
BHPian

Dear Bhpian

I am thinking of trying Linux for the first time and need help in this regard please give me some pointers

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks