Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2022, 13:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Smart Locks – When are you ditching your keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
...We are using the Godrej smart lock for our flat since 3 months...
If you don't mind, please share the model number and cost. Also, how is the installation and service from Godrej? I have heard of good service, both pre and post-installation support from Yale, Valencia, and Qubo.
Old 25th February 2022, 11:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
If you don't mind, please share the model number and cost. Also, how is the installation and service from Godrej? I have heard of good service, both pre and post-installation support from Yale, Valencia, and Qubo.
https://www.amazon.in/Godrej-Aurora-Advantis-Rimtronic-Metric/dp/B07V5Z511V

Something like this without that Aurora thing. I bought it from a Brick and Mortal store for about 18K(1.5 K more than the Online price in Amazon). Since replacement policy is liberal in Amazon I doubt those locks would somehow find a purchaser later. So went ahead with the purchase from the nearby hardware store(got about 20 percent discount). Installation was smooth, so far no requirement of service.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 08:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I have installed OpenApp Door Four digital lock on my front door. We have been using it for more than 6 months now. We find it extremely convenient.
The model we have supports fingerprint, access code, NFC cards and physical keys.
I have installed a wireless bridge also so that I can lock and unlock from anywhere, using my mobile app.
We used to leave keys outside for our household help etc, I have never been comfortable with that arrangement. This solves that problem.

The only worry I have is, how long this would last - typically we expect the main door lock to work without a problem for as long as we have the house. In the case of these digital locks, who knows?
GS300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 12:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what is stopping you from going smart? When are you ditching your keys?
From my personal experience there are more chances of a smart lock going kaput over period of time and cost of repair is high just like any other 'smart' electronic product. Good thing is, most are not just electronic but manual too so you should still be able to use them as mechanical locks.

Smart locks, especially the ones with mechanical keys provide same level of security that a traditional mechanical lock provides. The added advantage is various smart ways of unlocking the door incase you lock yourself out by mistake.

I currently have a pure mechanical lock on the safety door while the main door has Valencia Hola.
HammerHead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 12:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
...I currently have a pure mechanical lock on the safety door while the main door has Valencia Hola...
I like your implementation. Smart lock on the wooden door for everyday use and mechanical lock on the iron door for occasional use.
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 14:07   #21
BHPian

Check this out
https://www.openapp.com/home

I own the 'Door Two' version. Got it like 3 years back. Using it on the inner entrance gate of my apartment. Given that apartment for rent and its so convenient for me. Works on Bluetooth, NFC, Fingerprint, Mechanical key, passcode and very reasonable pricing.

I have assigned my tenants access with their fingerprint using the app apart from me being the admin.

Planning to get the newer version for another property along with the wifi-gateway device which will make my lock to be controlled from anywhere in the world.
deepjaju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 18:42   #22
BHPian

Let the video's speak. Dont get fooled.

Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 19:01   #23
BHPian

I am using Godrej i-secure Mortise lock for last 15 years. It works with a normal key, a number pad or with a special i-button or combination of i-button and code.

Works great, dont have to carry key around and can open remotely with some minor modification to the circuit and connecting it to a raspberry pi/esp32. I change battery every year with new alkaline ones and have never been locked out. Even in case of electronics not working, there is mechanical key that can be used for opening the door.

I wont class this as the most secure lock, but use this for normal day to day locking. When comparing convenience to security, I lean towards convenience. For security, home insurance and content insurance are the best bet. Burning a door down or entry through window is normally easier for thieves.

By the way, dont expect "customer service" from godrej for this lock. As per the local dealer, he sold 4 locks in my state that year. So we can assume what will the spares availability situation be like.

I have another one purchased and kept in storage just for exchanging parts in case of any trouble with the installed one.

Planning to move to eurocylinder based smart locks in future, in case the godrej one fails beyond repair or part exchange.

Last edited by Sedate : 26th February 2022 at 19:04.
Sedate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 21:36   #24
BHPian

I was thinking of buying these smartlocks... Can somebody who is using tell How is lavna and valencia?
Old 26th February 2022, 22:57   #25
BHPian

Even I am contemplating a smart lock for my main door. Only criteria is it should have a physical key override. I am ok with only two features - fingerprint and physical key. RF card is not necessary at all, key pad unlock also not must have for me. And it should not connect to internet as we do not know the security protocols it has or vulnerability of online functionality. For issue with touch during this pandemic, well, wash hand as soon as you get in house. Looking to Godrej options for their support they have in Bangalore (seen couple of friends' case with regular main door lock issue).

Can anyone confirm which ever smart lock they are using if I can use the lock without setting any pin or disable key pad (or disable any specific feature like nfc/rf card) and only use finger print and key?

Last edited by dipdawiz : 26th February 2022 at 23:05.
Old 27th February 2022, 03:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Do you still carry keys that lock your safe, house, and vehicle?
In the US (NYC area) I don't carry my keys anymore depending on what I car I take out for the day. For the condo we live in, I changed the deadbolt lock to August Wi-Fi Smart Lock and I own a Tesla. So a smartphone is all I need for the most part. However, my other car, Volvo XC90 needs a key so those days I have to carry it. Also the reason why I chose August lock is that in case the battery runs out it can be opened with the original keys since it attaches to your existing deadbolt on the inside of your door.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 08:30   #27

I was very interested in using electronic locks in some parts of under renovation house, until I came across youtube videos from the LockpickingLawyer. Now I don't consider them anymore.
thallipolivandi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 12:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
...Let the video's speak. Dont get fooled...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thallipolivandi View Post
...I came across Youtube videos from the LockpickingLawyer. Now I don't consider them anymore...
Thanks for sharing. Of course, you should never use simple electromagnetic locks or cheap brands that rely on primitive methods. The new locks are more secure, reliable, and fail-safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
... Can somebody who is using tell How is lavna and valencia?...
Valencia, Yale, Samsung, and other global brands with service and support in India are better in the long run. LAVNA and a few other Indian brands have app unlocking based on Bluetooth app and OTP. One can't opt for them without thorough due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
...Only criteria is it should have a physical key override. I am ok with only two features - fingerprint and physical key...And it should not connect to internet...Can anyone confirm...if I can use the lock without setting any pin or disable key pad (or disable any specific feature like nfc/rf card) and only use finger print and key?
Your use case matches what most people in India want from such locks. In episode 31 of Shark Tank India, Ashneer talks about the same to the team from Astrix Engineering Products. However, the benefit of having a lock with multiple unlocking options, including a mechanical key, is that you can enable or disable only what you need.
Old 28th February 2022, 12:41   #29
BHPian

How is the wiring done for these locks? Isn't it to cumbersome to pass the wires through the doors and to the power outlets?
Old 28th February 2022, 12:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Mine is battery operated. It takes a power bank too
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
How is the wiring done for these locks? Isn't it to cumbersome to pass the wires through the doors and to the power outlets?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks