Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2022, 09:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Smart Locks – When are you ditching your keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post

Also, anyone here installed Yale or other branded smart lock on a 32mm wooden door?
At last found what I was looking for. Qubo brought a new model in their smart lock range. "Qubo Smart Lock Essential" is their starting range of smart locks. It has only one dead bolt (apart from the latch) and fit for minimum door thickness of 32mm. Feature wise similar to their other locks. Made with high strength stainless steel. Feels sturdy and finishing looks good. Backed by Hero group which gave more confidence than those Chinese brands available online. However this too is made in China.

Bought it last week and their installer came after 3 days and installed it. I would rate the installation follow-ups and workmanship 4 out of 5.
Smart Locks – When are you ditching your keys?-20221123_141906.jpg

Not sure why we call these "smart" lock, they are more of digital lock with some scheduling option for PIN and just support fingerprint, RF id cards and connects with app using bluetooth, you can configure the lock without the app also. Otherwise it does not have wifi to be controlled or automate in any way (not that I want those features, and specifically like to avoid them at this moment), just saying.

So it has fingerprint (can read in 360°, so however you press your finger it works), PIN unlock, RFID card, Mechanical key and bluetooth app. App is only for easily confugure settings, managing of scheduled PIN and event logs. If you do not want them, there is a way using only the keypad on lock you can configure PIN, RFID and fingerprints. Did not confiure RFID. It now unlocks only with registered PIN or fingerprint. It auto locks in 15 seconds. And there is a manual lock nob on inside module to disable unlocking from outside altogether.

In the App, PIN can be configured for life, temporary for a duration or sheduled (like every Monday to Friday from 10am till 12pm). There is an option for one time use PIN (like OTP) which you generate using app while at home and share it to someone to unlock once within 6 hours of generating it. Using the app you can lock or unlock the door if you are within bluetooth range. And can see events who unlocked the door or any unsuccessful attempt. UI is clean. Same App is used for their other devices.
Smart Locks – When are you ditching your keys?-screenshot_20221127_093029_qubo.jpg

Works with 4 AA battery. In case of battery drain, say after a long vacation, it has an USB C port on outside module which can be used to temporarily power the lock.

Comes with 2 mechanical keys. Not sure the procedure to get extra keys officially. However it's not required as such, at this moment.

This fulfills what I wanted, for quick day outs or anything short duration using Qubo only to lock and unlock using fingerprint or PIN. Has mechanical key as backup (kept in a secure place, not carrying it). For long vacation using the regular lock as well just for sake of peace of mind. So far happy with it, long term reliability is to be seen.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 27th November 2022 at 09:58.
dipdawiz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 21:36   #47

Quote:
At "Qubo Smart Lock Essential"

How is this different from Qubo smart lock Select, with latter being somewhat expensive. I thought Essential don't have deadbolt, so wanted to order Select. Kindly guide.
Old 26th September 2023, 22:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhingrasud View Post
How is this different from Qubo smart lock Select, with latter being somewhat expensive. I thought Essential don't have deadbolt, so wanted to order Select. Kindly guide.
Main reason I bought essential was - it is only smart lock officially can be installed on 3.2mm thick door without any modification to the door. It has one dead bolt. I do not remember now, Select may have two dead bolts. There could be some internal difference in dead bolts in these two models, I am not aware. Also Select needs 3.5mm minimum thickness.

Hope that helps.
Old 26th September 2023, 23:56   #49

Quote:
It has one dead bolt. I do not remember now, Select may have two dead bolts.
As per attached image from Qubo, Essential don't have any deadbolts. Are you sure you got higher model at price of essential?
Attached Thumbnails
Smart Locks – When are you ditching your keys?-screenshot_20230926235155.jpg  

Old 1st October 2023, 09:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhingrasud View Post
As per attached image from Qubo, Essential don't have any deadbolts. Are you sure you got higher model at price of essential?
After going through manuals and images of different models of Qubo smart lock. Select and Elite model has deadbolt which is controlled manually with a different nob (than the handle) to open and close the deadbolt separately than other bolts.

Essential model has two bolts. One normal latch lock type and one solid retangle type. No separately operated manual "deadbolt".
Old 18th October 2023, 12:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Works with 4 AA battery. In case of battery drain, say after a long vacation, it has an USB C port on outside module which can be used to temporarily power the lock.
Can you also use the mechanical key with dead battery? Also how do you change the AA battery? Is the battery compartment secure?
Old 18th October 2023, 14:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Can you also use the mechanical key with dead battery? Also how do you change the AA battery? Is the battery compartment secure?
1. Yes you can open the door with mechanical key with dead battery (checked by removing battery).

2. Battery compartment is on inside module and secured with screw.
dipdawiz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 11:17   #53

I’m looking for a smart/digital lock for our main door that can let us unlock the door from first floor using some sort of switch (not comfortable using any app). We will use video door bell to check before unlocking.

Our main door is in ground floor and doesn’t want to come down to unlock the for a visitor. Are there any such locks available? If yes, any reliable brands to look for? Thanks!
Old 26th October 2023, 23:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgastyaR View Post
I’m looking for a smart/digital lock for our main door that can let us unlock the door from first floor using some sort of switch (not comfortable using any app). We will use video door bell to check before unlocking...
Most Yale and Valencia locks have such options. In the box, you will get a 2-pin connector with two wires, which you must extend and connect to a calling bell switch. You typically see such arrangements in office receptions. Read the manual before you purchase the lock to confirm the presence of the such features.
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 10:12   #55
BHPian

I have rented out my flat, every time the tenants move, I get the lock changed or sometimes the cylinder, as the keys are given to the painters before handover to the new tenants, will the smart lock be useful to me, is it possible to generate keys/codes temporarily?
Old 29th October 2023, 17:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I have rented out my flat, every time the tenants move, I get the lock changed or sometimes the cylinder, as the keys are given to the painters before handover to the new tenants, will the smart lock be useful to me, is it possible to generate keys/codes temporarily?
Yes - Qubo support RFID tags which you can configure and give to the tenants/users. Even codes are possible but chances of misuse are more as anyone with the code can enter (physical tag is still a better bet)
Old 29th October 2023, 22:56   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
Most Yale and Valencia locks have such options.
Thank you! Spoke to Yale and this can be achieved using electromagnetic locks but not with digital ones. Electromagnetic locks opens when there is a power cut. Is there any specific model that you can refer? Thanks!
Old 11th January 2024, 20:33   #58
Team-BHP Support

Few months ago, our company moved from 100% WFH to mostly WFO. With the new office, I had asked my trusted contractor for access control options. He gave me the same options he gave 20 years ago for my first office.

You know... key entry, finger print, access card, etc. I was stunned when I looked at the brochures of various access control providers. They were clearly designed by hardware makers, who had no clue about the advances made by software technology in the last 20 years.

As a software architect, I couldn't accept those obsolete solutions. So, I told him, give me electrically controlled locks and wifi based switch with API control to power it. So, he provided magnetic locks, and I bought the wifi based switch from amazon.

Then I asked my junior most programmer to develop a quick web application to control the wifi switches from the web. It was built in couple days, and deployed on a raspberry pi. The lock installers were very skeptical that we could control the locks from the phone. But they were forced to believe once we deployed it.

This solution uses 3-factor authentication.

1) Smartphone must be secured with biometric access.
2) Smartphone must join the company wifi, which only allows mac-id whitelisted devices.
3) Employees connect to a local web on raspberry pi over wifi, which authenticates the user with Google OAuth, before showing the buttons to unlock the door. Depending on the employee, they will be shown only those doors that they are authorized to open.

All this happens in matter of seconds. We need this even to get out, every time. Every in and out event is logged for auditing.

Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 16:15   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As a software architect, I couldn't accept those obsolete solutions. So, I told him, give me electrically controlled locks and wifi based switch with API control to power it. So, he provided magnetic locks, and I bought the wifi based switch from amazon.
Can you please share the wifi switch you used with API control, most of the ones I see are cloud and app controlled.
Old 16th January 2024, 16:17   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Can you please share the wifi switch you used with API control, most of the ones I see are cloud and app controlled.
This one: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B3KV7V4K
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks