Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 00:29   #91
BHPian

Re: Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone

Recently switched over to the Apple universe from being a die-hard Android fan forever. The major reason for choosing Apple however was that my OnePlus 5T was 4 years old and there was simply no other Android which seemed justifiable for the price tag it came with. The OP 5T was definitely one of the best phones that have debuted in the Indian market. At 32k back then, it was a flagship par excellence! Loved every moment of using this phone and it proved to be bang-for-buck. The new One Plus models leave a lot to desire, especially with the Color OS integration. The look and feel is that of an Oppo. Didn't want to go the Oppo, Vivo, Xiaomi route either. That left only Samsung in contention, but the price tag just did not seem to justify what the phone (S22) was offering. Spending beyond 70k for an Android was not a palatable thought. The reason I had stayed away from Apple all this while is because of their crazy pricing and also because I thought I couldn't afford to change phones every 2 years. Also, the ease of use which Android provided all this while was reason enough remain a loyalist.

The iPhone 13 (128 GB) cost me 65k and is proving to be a good decision. Getting used to the nitty-gritties. The OP 5T fetched me a decent 9.5k on Cashify.
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 18:16   #92

I used to be on Symbian during the good old Nokia days. Then moved to Android in 2008 when I got the T-Mobile G1. I got the iPhone but it could never be my primary phone despite using a Mac. I used Nexus, Samsung Galaxy series and most recently Pixel and OnePlus.

A few things stopping me were:-

1. My WhatsApp data
2. Truecaller for spam calls
3. SMS Organizer app
4. Moving my files, especially photos and videos to Google Cloud Photos. iCloud is buggy and still more expensive.
5. Dual SIM - This was quite a big requirement as I travel a lot for work and need to carry a SIM for data.
6. Interest in customization and ROMS
7. Limited usage of AirPods and Apple Watch
8. iPhone camera was still lagging behind w.r.t Pixels and Samsung Galaxy both in photos and videos
9. Android was more exciting for updates and features.
10. Lack of support and repair options

But then iPhones have gotten a lot more attractive recently. For the last few years, my primary phone has been an iPhone, Apple has really upped their game.

1. Thanks to Dr. Fone from Wondershare, finally moved my legacy Android WhatsApp data
2. Truecaller has an iOS app which is not the same as Android but helps identify spam calls. I also block calls from within the phone app.
3. There are few SMS blocking apps which I have tried including VeroSMS and SMS Filter but still not great. Thankfully my SMS messages have reduced.
4. Google Photos works like a charm on iOS.
5. eSIM works amazingly on iPhone, especially while travelling abroad. Recently in US just bought a 5G eSIM from T-Mobile after landing and saw some incredible speeds.
6. I have probably gotten older or the ROM / customization scene isn't as exciting as it used to be.
7. I'm fully into iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods Pro, Apple TV, and HomePod. Basically, I'm a lot poorer but love the experience of the Apple ecosystem. I even have CarPlay on my PoloGT.
8. I have stopped carrying DLSRs and Video cameras and shoot everything on the iPhone. The improvement year over year from Apple in the camera department is just mind-boggling. Recently streamed a family function from a couple of iPhones. Reincubate Camo is one must have app if you have not tried it already.
9. Already trying the iOS 16 beta on a spare iPhone and the iOS/ Mac updates are a lot more exciting than the Android updates.
10. Have had some good experiences with Apple support and I buy Apple Care/ Care+ on most products for peace of mind. Also the best part of the iPhone is the resale value. I bought my 11 Pro Max outside India and sold it after a year for the same price I bought it at!

Some things I wish iPhones get better at
1. Charging is still slower compared to Android phones.
2. The price difference between the storage variants is ridiculous
3. Wish Apple switches to USB-C from lightning! It is a pain
4. Sharing data over Bluetooth, WiFi with Android users.
5. More attractive pricing in India so that don't have to go the extra mile to import.
Old 8th August 2023, 07:28   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
This morning I dropped my iPhone 13 on concrete and damaged the screen and bezel a bit. I have Apple Care+ and hence booked an appointment with the Apple Genius bar. I only need to pay A$45 to get the screen replaced.

Initially they said the screen will be replaced but the bezel cannot be replaced since it is part of the phone's base structure and this cosmetic damage to the bezel isn't covered in Apple Care+. Upon running the usual diagnostics it returned a FaceID not functioning properly error. I did notice it to be a bit sub-optimal but since the damage was only a couple of hours ago I didn't worry much.

The FaceID error changes everything and hence, they swapped my iPhone with a re-manufactured iPhone. I had to pay A$145. It comes with a 2 year warranty from now. I got the new iPhone, set it up and started the iCloud sync process and I was out in 45 minutes.

The drop damaging the FaceID camera/system is quite worrying but the seamless and hassle-free Apple service is something I'm used to and makes the premium worth it. I don't know how 'Android' flagship competitors address similar issues.

Apple knows very well that time is a premium/luxury for some and I suppose they ensure customers get the best value for their time. For some others it may not be the case and can spend time to save money. To each his own.
Our 3yo Apple Pencil wasn't used for a long time and the battery died. I understand the battery cannot be replaced. I went to the Apple Store to get a new Apple Pencil that costs $159. I had the old Pencil with me to check if they could recycle it and give me a discount on the new one.

The Genius Bar Assistant (Tony) checked and said if I could come the next day (since it was almost closing time) so the technical team can check the pencil and may be give me a like-for-like replacement at the service cost which will be 1/3 of the cost of the new one. His exact words were, "It is in your best interest to let our technician have a look before you purchase the new pencil."

I went there today. They ran some checks and gave me a replacement Apple Pencil for $45 with warranty. I left the place happy as I have with every visit to the Apple Store/Genius Bar.

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-img4880.jpg

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-img4882.jpg

Apple knows how to care for customers and build loyalty. One doesn't buy these many Apple devices without being satisfied.

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-apple.jpg

I've had good experiences with Apple and Subaru (Mazda tops Consumer Reports list for first time ever; BMW close second)with warranty replacements and I wonder if the following helped,
1. Loyalty: Registered all our devices under my Apple ID to show the purchase history. Showed intent to pay for an replacement Apple product.
2. Care for your devices: Retained the OG package/box with the barcode and I take them to the Genius bar. It is easier for them to scan. Also, I usually get Apple Care+ for the new devices.
3. Be earnest and I simply ask if they can do something to save me $.
4. Be polite and appreciate them for a good job. Before leaving the Genius Bar today I asked if Tony was around and he wasn't, so I asked them to pass on my thanks to him for saving me $100.
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks