Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2022, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone

Here I’ll share my thought process from moving from an Android (OnePlus 7T) to IOS (iPhone 13 Pro Max)

My Cellular History
Started with Nokia 1600 but for the past decade have been using multiple variants of Android. Initially used the Moto G series and really enjoyed the near-stock android experience, had the pleasure of using Nexus 6 (brilliant phone), used RedMi (worst experience) as well for a brief period and then had the OnePlus 7T for about 2.5 years.

OnePlus 7T
I had heard a lot of praises about OP phones and when I bought this one (mid-2019) it was still a value-for-money option at 40k considering all flagship Samsung devices were above 50k and Google Pixel’s availability and pricing was pretty bad. I had really enjoyed my experience with this phone for the first 2 years of usage. The interface is clean and the cameras are brilliant. Almost felt slightly better than stock android. However, since I got the Android 11 update, the phone’s performance went downhill. As reported by hundreds of 7T users, the phone started to slow down and the battery backup also took a huge hit. I knew mid-range smartphones had an average life of 2 years but was expecting this semi-flagship phone to last 3 years. So the hunt for a new phone begins.

The Contenders
OnePlus 9/9T/9 Pro – I had lost faith in the brand and with its upcoming operational merger with Oppo (Color OS replacing Oxygen OS) OP were losing their ace – Oxygen OS. Also, the pricing had gone through the roof – the Pro models are priced upwards of 60k which just not make sense. Out

Samsung S21/S22 series – I have never liked Samsung’s UI (although they have improved significantly) and their pricing has also gone too high. Only the S21 FE made some sense at 50k but for that price I could get a Pixel 6. I was not confident is spending 70-80k for their Plus and Ultra series as I didn’t feel they’ll last me 4-5 years. Out

Pixel 6 – I was extremely excited for this launch. I have had good experience with a Nexus and the general feedback for the Pixel series had been good. This Pixel is the next step for google as they were making their own processor so the phone had to be fully optimized. Google hit it out of the park with the pricing as well - $600 for Pixel 6 (never considered Pixel 6 Pro as it did not justify the $300 surcharge over 6). I had almost finalized getting this from US via a friend but the following 2 points made me change the decision :
A. Bugs – Since its launch it has been troubled by a number of bugs which google have not been swift enough in resolving. Even after 4 months since its launch, a significant portion of users were reporting issues. You also have to understand that this was the first iteration of a completely new phone. Just like cars, it is advisable to avoid the first lot due to expected niggles
B. Lack of International Warranty – Google are not selling this in India and even if you manage to get it from somewhere else, the warranty won’t be valid here. That is a big risk on a 50k phone which already has a number of reported bugs.

Elimination of these left me with only one option – iPhone

I had always been a vehement opposer to the Apple brand and felt that
A. I didn’t need the level of performance they were offering for my day-to-day work
B. They were charging a huge premium over the competition

However in the past few years due to increased digitization as well as enhanced capabilities of the modern smartphone (and decreased dependance on PC/Laptop) you need the best to get your work done efficiently. So point A has changed for me. Also, with prices of flagship android devices surpassing the height of Mount Everest, iPhones do not feel like they are asking for an unjustifiable premium (although their pricing in India is still very very high). So point B is also negated.

Variant Selection
Coming from a 90 Hz display, I was not comfortable in going to a 60 Hz one and hence 13 and 13 Mini were out of question. Also, coming from Androids I am used to a larger display. So I felt that when I (actually my wife gave it to me as a gift ) am spending this much, why not just go for the best darn available model. Hence, iPhone 13 Max Pro 128gb Graphite it is!

The Purchase
I was never going to buy an iPhone in India and was waiting for my US friend to come so that I could ask him to bring one. However, I was planning to go to Dubai so decided to research on how to buy iPhone at the cheapest rate there.

You can get it at Apple Store or via Amazon and it will still be >30k cheaper than India but to get the lowest rate you had to get it from Bur Dubai Electronics market. Due to stringent laws, it was highly unlikely that you could be cheated into a fake but you had to do your due diligence. First of all, you need to decide which country’s model you want to buy. A few popular ones are :

US – This is what you would get in the USA. It has an MMWave antenna cutout on the right side and its serial number would have LL/A at the end which is its identification. This one is preferred by most and I also got this one

Hong Kong – These ones are slightly expensive than US version as it has 2 physical sim card slots instead of one

Japan – You can get these at a cheaper rate but the issue in this one is that you cannot mute the camera shutter sound. With recent updates, if you are not in Japan and using the Japan variant you can mute the sound but whenever your phone is without network the shutter sound automatically comes back. You can save a few bucks if you can live with this.

Note : There’s a confusion that Facetime does not work in iPhones bought in the UAE. It does not work if you are within UAE and using UAE’s mobile network but as soon as you move outside UAE, Facetime is fully functional
Additional Checks – Check the serial number on the box on Apple website, the phone should not show as “Activated” on the website. The website should also indicate the correct model type. Then unbox the phone at the shop only and match the phone’s serial number with the one on the box. If all this checks out, you are good to go.

I got mine for around Rs 86k (after factoring in the VAT refund I got - UAE charges 5% VAT when you buy a product and for tourists you can get around 4% back if you apply for VAT refund at the airport)

I also got an iPhone 13 128gb at Rs 60.5k (this is cheaper than US rates)

Data Transfer – Android to IOS
I had everything backed up to my Google account so it was pretty smooth. Just had to login from iPhone. I didn’t want to take any physical files from the old phone. The only thing that was bothersome was Whatsapp. I tried a couple of free motheds to get my media and chats transferred but those didn’t work out. So I used a paid app called wutsapper (~Rs 1000) and was successful in getting my data into iPhone.
For current media backup I am using my google account as the storage costs are much lower than iCloud.

Initial Review
  • Enjoying the change in UI
  • the cameras (especially videos) are absolutely stunning
  • It is slightly heavy but you should get used to it
  • Battery back up is brilliant, can last for 2 days with mild usage
  • Was skeptical on moving from Fingerprint to Face ID but is has been smooth. With the latest update, I can unlock it while wearing a mask also!

Please share your android to IOS experiences as well. Thanks for reading!

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-img_1419.jpg
AutoConsultant is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 00:34   #2
BHPian

re: Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone

Well, been on iOS for the last 8 years, so can’t exactly give an “Android to iOS” feedback, but one thing - once you get past the initial hiccups, I doubt you would want back to Android!

No offense, I know there’s some fantastic Androids out there, huge fan of the Pixel series myself.

There’s something about Apple though.
Pequod is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 07:17   #3
BHPian

I am in the same boat as you. I was a windows phone user during 2010-15. I hated Apple because I thought they were overcharging for what their phones were offering at that time. Later shifted to android in 2016 with the Oneplus 3T. I absolutely loved the device and Oxygen OS was a dream. No bloatware, great battery life and a pretty decent camera for the time. For 30k it was an easy decision to make.

After 5 years, when I decided to upgrade to a new device, I was shocked by the prices being asked for android phones. When it comes to cars or phones/PCs/laptops etc my purchase motto is the same. Get the top most version, you wont get bored of it after a few months and wont get the urge to upgrade after 1.5-2 yrs. I was shocked at the prices being asked for flagship android phones. Oneplus is no longer what it used to be, with the software being integrated with Realme color OS and prices were not justifiable with the devices they are putting out now. When I checked other android devices, I found prices of most flagship android devices were hovering around the 1 lakh mark. At that price, why shouldn't I go for an apple device?

Apple offers way more security, superb user interface, app store is way better and the apps there are more stringently tested and more secure than apps developed for android. The most important advantage of IOS over android is timely updates and back end support for much longer than android phones. Apple supports their devices for 5-6 yrs minimum, while Android devices hardly get updates beyond 2 yrs. I am going to hold on and try to eke out another 6-7 months from the Oneplus 3T. By then Iphone 14 will be here and hopefully they will have shifted from that giant camera notch on the screen to something more subtle.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd March 2022 at 06:58. Reason: Added paragraph breaks.
windrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 07:40   #4
BHPian

I have an almost identical story to yours
I too had gotten the Oneplus 7T in 2019 as soon as it had released. At 35k it offered fantastic value and I loved using it. Then came the whole android 11 update drama and my user experience was ruined overnight. Tried using the phone as I felt it was still too early to change. At home it was still manageable because I could charge my phone whenever required but once colleges opened, it became a pain to manage the battery life and ultimately decided to change phones.

Now my entire family apart from me uses an iPhone so it was pretty clear to me that I should also get one. I actually wanted to get the iPhone 12 since it seemed more fvm compared to the 13 but the price difference between the two was only $50 in the US so i asked my father to get me the iPhone 13. I was initially worried about coming back to a 60hz screen after the Oneplus but this OS is just so well optimised, its flawless. I can still make out minor stutters in apps that are scrolling based but the tradeoff with regards to software and stability are worth it.

Now that I too have switched camps, I have to say that unless another Android OEM can offer the stability and longevity that Apple offers, I do not see myself switching.
Old 18th March 2022, 08:32   #5
BHPian

Welcome to iPhone club!

Even I too had an Android phone, i.e, Nexus 5 before moving to iPhones in 2015 and that was my only Android phone as well. Post that, I never purchased an Android phone even though I had considered few flagship phones within the budget of 60-70k.

And, Even I too got an iPhone 13 Pro (not Max) in the same colour you bought, few weeks ago from US for $999 and had upgraded from iPhone XS, which I was using for 2.5 years.

I even tried to switch to Android from iOS but, somehow, I didn't have that enough heart to switch as I got used to iOS a lot.
Old 18th March 2022, 08:41   #6
BHPian

My primary phone until a week ago was the Galaxy Note 10+ which is seriously a marvel of a phone. Offers incredible customization opportunities that other phones can only dream of.

But I was tired of large screen phones and hence thought would buy a small phone this time around. Bought a iphone 13 mini. The size is actually just right for me. But that's about it. Using it as a primary phone is quite annoying. iPhone is the dictator of phones. You must use it the way they want you to use it. Its 2022, and they still haven't managed to fix simple stuff like notifications which piles up like garbage and most of the time doesn't club into a group. There is no battery indicator by default. You cant call someone by typing their name on the phone app (why do they have those alphabets in the number pad anyway?). You must choose a contact or from recents. I am discovering more annoyances everyday.

Spent 70k on the iphone and another 20k on the airpods and now being forced to stick to it! My best wishes to OP and those who swear by the iphone. But sorry I couldn't help venting out!
veyron_head is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 08:43   #7
BHPian

I was also in the same dilemma. I was a big Android fan boy since I first bought my first flagship "Sony Xperia Z" - 2014. Have been closely following the Android world and was constantly impressed by the capabilities being churned out year by year. Tried the iOS that time and felt very locked down to meet my requirements.

Entered the flagship killer world by buying the OP 6T for around 32k and was shocked by the performance of it. Still am using the same phone for 3+ years and was running buttery smooth until the latest android update. So been looking for an Android upgrade and will have to spend big bucks to get a solid phone.

Have seen the latest OP offerings &was disappointed by it (don't trust the Oppo-fication of OP) and the other flagships are too expensive (~1L) except the Pixel 6(Too buggy).

This is when my wife bought an Iphone 13Pro and i am mighty surprised by it. The OS does not feel locked down like a decade back and takes care of all heavy tasks like a breeze. So I have also decided to jump on the iPhone train but I still feel spending 1L+ is too much. So eagerly awaiting for my friend to come from the US :-).
Old 18th March 2022, 09:07   #8
BHPian

Hey congrats on the Iphone.

Any idea if Samsung Phones and tabs are also cheaper at the Bur Dubai market?
Also any way to know the prices there online?
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 09:58   #9
BHPian

Welcome to iClub.

I started my smart phone journey with with a Nokia 520 (or is it Windows 520).

Few years later, got an iphone 6 and every year I’ve got upgraded to latest iPhone through my carrier.

Come 2017, My work gave me a brand new Pixel every year. I fell in love with Pixels ever since. I even bought few Pixel phones for my sisters.

I moved on to another organization recently and received an iPhone 12 Pro.

Things I absolutely miss:

1. Pixel will keep track of the ambient music (Imho, privacy is a myth and I gave fulltime access to mic so I can just go back and check when I like some music). Compiled an amazing library over the years.
2. Google duplex feature 1- Assistant answers spam/unknown calls and transcribes conversations realtime on the screen.
3. Google Duplex feature 2 - When I call a bank or some org that puts me on hold for minutes-hours, assistant holds the call for me and chimes when someone is ready to speak to me.
4. Google Home integration (if you’re in that ecosystem)

User experience, camera, speed, software are all are more or less the same among all the brands now.

But these features set Pixel apart from any other smart phone.

That being said, I understood why Pixels fail miserably in India and iPhones succeed in India. For almost same money, one gets arguably solid hardware coupled with Apple’s 5-6 year software support in iPhone vs 3 year in a Pixel. Camera quality, battery life between charges and overall longevity, thermals, design and brand image make iPhone a superior product.
And of course, let’s be honest, Apple CarPlay integration is that much smoother than Android Auto on given day.
FiestaST is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
Hey congrats on the Iphone.

Any idea if Samsung Phones and tabs are also cheaper at the Bur Dubai market?
Also any way to know the prices there online?
Hey, so there’s a relatively famous shop called CITY CHOICE and they have their official YouTube channel (city choice burdubai) where they regularly post their prices. You will find a lot of YouTubers going to this shop as well and making videos. This way you get a fair idea of the price.

However, when you actually go to buy, do check out prices from 3-4 other shops in the area for better negotiation.
AutoConsultant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Once on Apple, always on Apple. Very hard to move away. I’ve been an iPhone user from the 3GS days. Moved to a 6 and then the 7. I’m still running on iphone8. I’m really waiting for this to die so that I can upgrade, but it’s still going strong. Looks like I’ll live with my 8 for another year atleast.

Aside, thanks for the details on UAE buying. Quite informative.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why do we need a new thread for this when you have an iphone thread? I am an android user for ages and my wife has an iphone. Iphone is the most non intuitive and restrictive device ever. Sorry to be so upfront..
poloman is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:45   #13
VVN
BHPian

I was a hardcore Android user and like you, I used to oppose everything Apple. Maybe a part of the whole 'Fad' that made Apple bashing look cool (Strictly applies to me only).

1) iPhone 3G: I was in the UK when I bought the first smartphone. Prior to this, I was with Sony W550i (Which I still have) and a Samsung flippy phone. iPhone 3G was a titanic shift for me in terms of performance and technology.

2) 3 (The cellular network) had an option to upgrade the plan as soon as the newer iPhone 4s was launched and I took the jump. Similar experience, loved it and it was simply mind blowing.

3) HTC Desire: My goodness this phone was stunning. This was back in the day when Whatsapp was starting to pick up and phones were not the boring rectangle bricks they are today. Loved the design and the phone itself was not too bad. Used it for a good 2 years before software support stopped and it started becoming laggy.

4) Moto G: A legend in its own sense.

5) OnePlus 3: One of the last few great phones manufactured by OP In My Opinion. It still functions as a backup option for me especially during long highway trips.

6) iPhone X: Decided to move back to iOS once I realised that I was changing my phone every 2 years. My phone usage is quite heavy and a lag free experience is of utmost importance to me. The X is currently in its 4th year and has started showing its age in terms of performance due to battery degradation. In 2 minds whether to change the battery or get a new handset altogether.

You have made a good choice and over the years I have realised that iOS and Android both have its fair share of pros and cons and you can't really go wrong with either. Just that you have to choose the right OEM with Android. Have fun with your new gadget.
VVN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:55   #14
BHPian

Great thread & replies. After initial basic simbian phones, my first smart phone was iPhone 4S in 2011 & since then I am using only iPhones.
This is my 3rd phone in 12 years. Second one was 5S which I changed without any reason, just to upgrade to 6S. And I don't have any plans to change my current phone atleast for a year from now.
My wife uses Android &, no offence, but I just can not handle that phone. So can't give any perspective about comparison between two.
Old 18th March 2022, 10:58   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Was a fanboy of iphones ever since Steve Jobs showcased it to the world. Got obsessed with it and bought an iPhone 4, while in Kuwait. Just as someone here said, it is indeed a ridiculous dictator phone! Apple apparently wants you to use it their way. I remember an instance when at the airport I needed to transfer my cousin's PCC and even though there was Bluetooth, I just couldn't share the file. As he couldn't access Internet over his android phone I had to borrow from a friendly passenger and do the job. Imagine the last minute tensions! I can come up with more instances but just don't want to rant about here.

Switched over to the Galaxy S series from then on and no regrets.

For me its practicality and functionality thats above all.
LaRoca is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks