Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 08:44   #1
BHPian

Alternative to BSNL/ Airtel

Shifted my residence recently and the BSNL linesman is playing the villian in connecting my telephone. I need a broad-band connection, but as my tel line is not yet up, I cant use my exisisting data-one connection. Airtel doesnt have a network in my area.

What are the other options? I haven't heard good things about Reliance, Satyam, and have personally experienced a friend having a tough time with Tata Indicom. If any one in Bangalore is using these chaps (apart from BSNL and Airtel), do share your experience.

Till then, its a daily attendence at the local exchange (this time am meeting with the senior chaps).

Ajay
Old 18th June 2007, 12:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont have problem with TATA Indicom it runs fine and the service is prompt (except for sundays).
Old 18th June 2007, 18:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Ajay do check Sify. Mostly it works fine. But then its also dependant on the local cable guy who gives the connection. They have the best rates on today's date.

Reliance is also good if you have them in your area. You may also check if you have some local operator. There are a few in all areas. The typical small operators... I have Drishti, Beam cable and the likes at my place. Even Hathway can be an option.
Old 18th June 2007, 20:46   #4
BHPian

In my office many people use Airtel Datacard. As per them, internet speed is good but often they disconnect from our VPN gateway though (for connecting to our office network)
I had used Tata Iindicom CDMA tabletop phones earlier for dial-up connections earlier (I got a cable from them at no cost upon asking for it) , handy in situations like this.
My expereience with cable internet has not been so great as they dont work whenever it rains or so.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:18   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys. The telephone started working yestd afternoon, now focussing on getting the internet up and working in a day or two.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 19th June 2007, 09:31   #6
BHPian

I have been using Tata indicom for past two years and service is excellent
Old 19th June 2007, 11:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. The telephone started working yestd afternoon, now focussing on getting the internet up and working in a day or two.

Cheers
Ajay
Ajay, If you have shifted from a different exchange within city, then it will take time for them to enable the Dataone connection on your new line. I had to run after them for about 2 months to get it done in HSR layout.
Old 19th June 2007, 12:02   #8
BHPian

DONT TAKE TATA Indicom

i user Airtel as of now.
i had Tata connection for 2 months and trust me, i almost had a breakdown.
It never worked.
it use to always get disconnected...
i had asked for 256kbps and use to not get more then 20-30 kbps...
The tech who use to come never new how to Troubleshoot...
4 of them didnt even Knew how to use a Laptop...
i gave them some tips on how to TS...
Customer care was again a Nightmare...
i disconnected the connection and dumped their modem in Garbage...

But again Airtel and BSNL are the best in the market...
Sify is also good...

the problem with Airtel is that they take a long time to give connection...

BSNL told me they can give connection after 6 Months that to not sure...

Check out Airtel / sify...
Old 20th June 2007, 09:57   #9
BHPian

Hi Appuchan,

My tel exchange is the same. Anyways, the broadband got activated yesterday afternoon, 24 hours after the telephone got activated.

Zulfikar, Unfortunately Airtel has no network in my area. According to the exec, they are not getting permission from the muncipal authorities to dig up the roads to lay the wires.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 4th September 2008, 00:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

BSNL is a real dog in rural area, no offense meant to dogs. In my parents village, they have phone connectivity only 50% of the time. Today morning I got a call from a number I didn't recognise.

Me: Hello
Caller: Hello, this is me.
Me: Hey mom, whose number is this?
Mom: Well, we finally bought a mobile phone. Our BSNL phone is out since a week despite repeated complaints. Because of the frequent problems we have been thinking about a mobile for long, so yesterday your dad finally bought it.
Me: Is this BSNL or Airtel?
Mom: Don't know, it says Nokia on the phone.
Me: Never mind, I'll find out in the next visit.
Mom: I have been trying to call you since yesterday. I keep entering the number, but the call doesn't go through. After trying numerous times I finally gave up.
Me: Oh, what was the problem?
Mom: Today I decided to read the user manual. It was this weird thing. Turns out I have to enter one more button with phone symbol after dialing the number, what kind of system is that? Sheesh, these things are complicated.
Me: Ugh! You better read the manual fully now.
...rest family stuff.

BTW, my mom is 72 years old, her education ended at age 12 after completing 8th grade. Sometimes I wonder how they cope with all the technological changes of the modern era.
Old 4th September 2008, 03:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, my mom is 72 years old, her education ended at age 12 after completing 8th grade.

You gotta be glad she took the pain to read the manual and call you!

Those who are in Banglore - check out RailTel. It is only available in selected areas, and seems promising.
Old 4th September 2008, 05:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Do not go for Tata Indicom. The connectivity was very bad, customer service was horrible. Only the bill used to come on time with all the charges promptly added.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have similar issue. I moved recently and BSNL says they cannot lay the cable to our appartment. Its just next to Ryan International but not sure whats the problem. Talking with Airtel. Guess its ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks