Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2022, 14:51   #1
BHPian

DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)

I was looking at ambient light options for my setup, I've been using the 12V 5050 RGB strips from a long time and even though they serve the basic purpose well I wanted to upgrade to something smart and dynamic.

There are very limited options available on the market and the branded ones were too expensive for my liking. I had some spare WS2812B strip with me and I was already using an arduino for my smart cooling pad so started searching for similar projects online and stumbled upon this video :

The steps are pretty straightforward:

Stick the led strip as per your preference.

DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)-1659252655020.jpg

Wiring & Arduino Placement:

No separate power source.

DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)-ckt.png

Separate power source.

DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)-pwr.png

DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)-1658209988968.jpg

And that's all for the hardware part. I'm using it without any power source as I've capped the maximum brightness to 40%.

Software:
  • Download the Arduino IDE.
  • Open Arduino IDE > Tools > Manage Libraries and install the FastLed 3.2.6 library.
  • Download interface code and make necessary changes.
  • Changes:
    #define NUM_LEDS 240
    Change it to number of leds on your strip, for example if there are 30 LEDs on your strip then the code should look like this:
    #define NUM_LEDS 30
  • Connect your adruino board and upload the code.
  • Download and install Prismatik.
  • Setup the device with Prismatik setup guide according to your strip placement.

Prismatik has 3 main modes:
  • Screen grabbing - LEDs will change colors according to the content being displayed.
  • Mood lamp - Static/Patterns/Breathing all very customizable.
  • Sound visualization - LEDs light up in sync with music.
I keep switching between the Screen grabbing and mood lamp modes and have been using this since last November.

Mood Lamp:

DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)-1658210148892.jpeg

Screen Grabbing:

Total Cost:
WS2812B LED Strip - ₹400/M (30 leds/M)
Compatible Arduino Uno - ₹400 OR ESP8266 based board - ₹250

Setup :
Asus TUF A15 (2021)
2x LG 22MP68VQ
AmazonBasics Dual Monitor Stand
Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Last edited by Venky03 : 2nd August 2022 at 12:42.
Venky03 is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 07:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 08:13   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY : Arduino Ambilight (Ambient Lighting)

Fantastic thread Venky03. Had seen a similar setup (but large-scale) in an old video from some foreign country. Never thought it'll be this easy to set it up here. Thank you for detailing it out to noobs like me.

Also, one query. Is it possible to do a similar setup for a TV screen? i.e. a screen which does not have an operating system or maybe Android TV?

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd August 2022 at 09:48. Reason: Minor typo.
brownkaiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:04   #4
BHPian

That's neat! Have you bought LED strip and Arduino from amazon/Flipkart or from the shop? I will try it this weekend. Thanks,
abtyagi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
Also, one query. Is it possible to do a similar setup for a TV screen? i.e. a screen which does not have an operating system or maybe Android TV?
Seems like no, Prismatik github repo says that software does screen grabbing
in runtime, so without installing the software there is no way. Sadly, it will not work on TV.
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickNerd View Post
in runtime, so without installing the software there is no way. Sadly, it will not work on TV.
Initially I thought its optoelectric detector ! If there is something like that it can work (could be some lag).
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
So there was a Prismatik version for android but it is no longer maintained. I found some apps which use the similar protocol but I've not tested them. Dropping down link for reference : Ambilight Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by abtyagi View Post
That's neat! Have you bought LED strip and Arduino from amazon/Flipkart or from the shop? I will try it this weekend. Thanks,
It is available on amazon, but it'll be cheaper if you buy it locally.
Venky03 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Noob question alert:

How does the Arduino communicate to the Screen?. Wifi or through Serial connection?.

Last edited by srini1785 : 3rd August 2022 at 15:40.
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:27   #9
BHPian

Excellent DIY

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickNerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
So there was a Prismatik version for android but it is no longer maintained. I found some apps which use the similar protocol but I've not tested them. Dropping down link for reference : Ambilight Android
With different set of components and little more complexity, it is possible to do for TV. Catch is video source have to be a media player so that we can split hdmi out to grab image as well as input to TV. And what I did, is based on raspberry pi zero w, its difficult to get now; other components also harder to find on Amazon in this days as Aliexpress is out of questions. I bought the LEDs from Aliexpress.

I followed the instructions to the T; shown here by Youtuber Great Scott

Here is the outcome of my DIY,

(Most of the color near to bezel looks white, but its not, they are bright colors but captured white due to mobile camera)

I rarely switch on ambient light while watching anything on TV. But it increases the viewing pleasure many folds, specially for animated contents, where color is vibrant and changes alot. Also enjoyed watching David Attenborough documentaries with ambient light on. It was an interesting project none the less.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 3rd August 2022 at 19:34.
dipdawiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 02:02   #10
BHPian

I've built something similar, but the light strips sync with my keyboard, mouse as well and the Philips Hue lights, I used Raspberry Pi and ESP module to achieve that. That being said!, amazing setup!.

Last edited by dheer4 : 4th August 2022 at 02:21.
dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 07:06   #11
BHPian

Such programmable micro processors are very powerful things, and can take electronics to the next level. Combine them with transistors, relays, motor boards, hats, sensors, digital displays and internet and the possibilities are endless.

I remember having played around with many products like arduino, nodemcu, raspberry pi etc to introduce my kids to such possibilities a few years back, and they make some quick impressive school projects too.

It's a great hobby to pursue. Thanks to companies who have open-sourced, and democratized such products, with a not for profit motive, and made a positive impact on the world.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 4th August 2022 at 07:12.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 21:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Probably the wrong thread but I have a spare ws2818 RGBIC strip with a wifi controller for sale if anyone wants. I got it to try out making an ambient light for my aquarium but wasn't able to do so with the basic app provided and didn't want to get into Arduino and stuff as it's not my forte. It's pretty much unused. Just turned it on for half an hour to fiddle and then packed it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks