Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:22   #496

re: The Tata Sky Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Is there any way to switch off sub-titles on a channel in Tata Sky ?
I'm sorry, but the source television broadcaster will overlay the sub-titles on to the video, and there is nothing that a DTH company or the end-user could do about that.

However, it is feasible if the broadcaster transmits the sub-titles on a separate data layer, and the DTH company has the infrastructure that supports those parameters. (As per my knowledge, no Indian DTH company has that feature)
Old 13th May 2014, 15:15   #497
BHPian

Hi folks
I have two queries regarding my Tata Sky connection.

From the past 2-3 days , I was not receiving signal in many HD and some SD channels. I called up the customer care and they sent a guy down to my place. He replaced the mic. like receiver on the disc(LNB, I think) and since then I'm getting all the channels. He charged Rs 550/- for the replacement LNB( 2 Tv- 1SD, 1HD ), no visiting charge because of mega pack but he did not give me any receipt or any other sort of confirmation. Is this the general norm and can anyone confirm the price?

Second, the volume control on all the HD channels stopped working(volume remains same, does not increase or decrease with Tata Sky remote control) after the customer care guy made me do a master reset. The control on the SD channels work fine. Can anyone please help me with this
thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 17:47   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post

Second, the volume control on all the HD channels stopped working(volume remains same, does not increase or decrease with Tata Sky remote control) after the customer care guy made me do a master reset. The control on the SD channels work fine. Can anyone please help me with this
thanks
Go to sound settings in main settings area of Tatasky and change it from Dolby to other one. This will solve your problem.
Old 13th May 2014, 18:08   #499
Team-BHP Support

My 7 month old HD++ box went kaput last week, complained and promptly was replaced with a brand new one the very next day. Free since it was under warranty and no charges.
Old 14th May 2014, 06:43   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Go to sound settings in main settings area of Tatasky and change it from Dolby to other one. This will solve your problem.

Thanks a lot. This did solve my problem.

Also, got to know about a little scam that these people run!
I called up the customer care to ask about the cost of replacing the LNB receiver. To my surprise it was only Rs 150/-
I was furious, called up the repair guy who came to my place in the morning and threatened to make complaint. He came running back returned my money and also the old LNB receiver. And guess what, the old receiver works perfectly fine now!

So, it's always better to confirm by calling service centre again before making any payments to these guys.
Old 14th May 2014, 08:00   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Hi folks
He charged Rs 550/- for the replacement LNB( 2 Tv- 1SD, 1HD ), no visiting charge because of mega pack but he did not give me any receipt or any other sort of confirmation. Is this the general norm and can anyone confirm the price?
Tata Sky deducts the amount from your account directly, you do not need to pay the service guy. I have shifted my home a couple of times and have never been asked cash.

You should check with TS and get your money back.
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:54   #502
Senior - BHPian

We had 'no signal' problem for the first time in 6 years of having Tata sky and the experience to resolve it was painful to say the least.

I'm some "premium" customer and when I called, I was redirected to some "special" team to handle premium customers. They took down all details and said a technician would visit us on 20th. This was on the 19th. Technician did come on the 20th,swapped some part called LB with a refurbished one,it worked fine for a few hours and they charged us Rs 150. Later that night it became so bad that we weren't able to watch tv at all as the signal would go every few secs.
Called CC again on 21st and they said someone would visit by 2pm,it was 3 and nobody turned up. Got another message that they'd come at 5 45pm, no calls till 6 again. Called the CC and they said someone would definitely visit by 7 pm. The day ended with no visit and the TV got a well deserved break

So 22nd some different guy visited, said the satellite needs to be relocated and did so. He swapped the refurbished part with a new one,the signal strength and quality were back to 100%. He checked the wiring, added a few metres of cable in the new position and just when he thought he was done he put the refurbished part back! I protested,but he said the old guy has to come to replace this part and if he replaced the same it would be chargeable! Called his boss and he said the same too.How ridiculous is this! The only saving grace is the TV is fine as of now,no idea when it'll go bad again.

The only advantage that TS had was supposed better after sales service,not so sure if that's true anymore. My subscription is due next month,will definitely switch to some other DTH.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 22nd May 2014 at 19:01.
Old 24th May 2014, 21:09   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My subscription is due next month,will definitely switch to some other DTH.
Hi, I think you should call the CS team and lodge a complaint for the same. Tell them that if they are not able to solve the issue, you want the complaint to be escalated to their superiors.

99% of the time they would be able to resolve it to your satisfaction and there is a possibility they may even refund the amount spent on the LNB.
Old 28th May 2014, 15:13   #504
Senior - BHPian

So the issue has been resolved finally. All that was needed was LB replacement and shifting of satellite dish was unwarranted. I first called them on 19th and it took 9 days,3 visits,repeated calls to CC,complaints on FB & Twitter to set it right. My local cable guy needs 3 calls tops.

If this is "excellent service" I don't know what bad service can be.
Old 28th May 2014, 15:28   #505
Senior - BHPian

I also have a Tata Sky, pretty happy with the service so far, very seldom made any calls to Customer service.
But, whenever it rains, even a light dristle, all channels go blank, have to wait for the rains to fully stop to view anything.

Are others also facing the same issue? Is this a generic problem with all DTH?
Old 28th May 2014, 19:54   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
🔛
My Tata Sky connection is quite new, and I have also faced similar problem. The connection remains for light drizzle, but anything more and I have to wait.
Old 27th July 2014, 12:30   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

From the past two days, we were not able to change channels on our Tata Sky. I changed the batteries of the remote but nothing happened. I switched off and restarted the set top box and the problem was solved for a short while

Since yesterday morning, the channels started changing automatically even without any input from the remote.
I called up the customer care...they told me to remove the wires from the antenna and then restart. It solved the problem...again for a short while.

I called them up again and organised for a technician visit today morning.

Today morning, the technician came home and checked the problem, reconnected everything, used a different remote, installed the latest version of the software but even then nothing happened.

He told that the set top box must be swapped with a new one and the swap box would cost 500 rupees. Mine is a 3 year old Tata Sky HD+ STB and is out of warranty. I agreed and he put a new box.

But before he could activate the card on the new STB, he got a call from his supervisor and he told not to activate the new box. They want to put the old box under examination for half a day and if possible repair it. If it can't be repaired they will swap it with a new STB for 500 Rupees.

Without TV services till evening, Our home seems so silent

I was impressed with the speed of the service and also today being a sunday, the technician came home.

P.SI'm a premium customer and hence there were no charges for the technician visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Is this a generic problem with all DTH?
Yes it is. More than the amount of rain, its actually the density of clouds that are in between the satellite and the dish

Apart from this, there will be service interruption twice a year because of a "Satellite Eclipse"
The Tata Sky Thread-eclipse.jpg
Old 29th July 2014, 20:20   #508
BHPian

Hemanth.anand
Hi.
As posted earlier by me this is my 8th box and installed in Feb. One box change lasted all of 10 minutes.
At times it is giving problems like error 2(pl check if smart card is inserted properly),doesnt shut down or doesn't statrt for a minute or so.I have to use the remote 3/4 times trying to put on or off.Batteries or remote is not the problem.
I wonder how keen is TS in giving us good quality of STB. The more boxes they change the more they are able to charge you. And do remember that the box changed is not new.It is repaired and reinstalled at a different place.
So far I have been fortunate that I havnt had to pay for replacement but I don't know what happens next time.
Incidentally their toll free number was out of service.They had discontinued.Cant they understand a subscriber will call only when he has a problem ?
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 29th July 2014 at 20:23.
Old 29th July 2014, 21:31   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
As posted earlier by me this is my 8th box and installed in Feb. One box change lasted all of 10 minutes.
8th box

Quote:
And do remember that the box changed is not new.It is repaired and reinstalled at a different place.
Yes I'm aware of that. And that's why they call it "Swap box" and not a "new box"

Update:
They charged 350 rupees instead of the 500 rupees that the service guy told.
So far so good...my earlier box was more than 3 years old and hopefully the swap box will not give up on me any sooner
Old 2nd August 2014, 23:11   #510
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a 15 year old Videocon 21' CRT tv which is connected to Tata Sky
Since last few months I am not able to get a clear reception . There is a noise that is always there. its quite irritating

I try to tune it but nothing happens.

Any CRT experts in the house ?

Thanks,
Nats

Most Viewed