Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2017, 22:08   #676
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Sky Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
TS is getting more and more expensive. They are forcing me to renew grand sports to Ultra pack to continue with same channels. The packages are tuned in such a way that If i want english pack, I have to opt for Ultra or Platinum which is 560 pm. Very expensive plus the HD Access fee of 175.
Fully agree! HD Access fee of Rs.175/month is a Loot! They should waive it off atleast for Annual pack subscribers.
Do tweet @tatasky, if more customers crib about it, they'll be forced to do something, else the loot continues.
Old 25th February 2018, 12:10   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Try this setting - "Organiser->User Settings ->Sound Settings->Preferred Audio for HDMI => PCM".
Yes. This is the setting I am also using to view HD channels. Did some research on google but there does not seem to be any other alternative solutions. Why even provide option of Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus?
Old 26th March 2018, 11:56   #678
BHPian

Gentlemen,

Need your kind guidance.

My tatasky HD is behaving weirdly. During day time, the signal strength and signal quality are good enough to play the pictures correctly.

But during night time, they go down and suddenly to zero sometimes for a fraction of second. And its periodic.

Did all the basic prelim checks like the card connections, HDMI port and cable ports. Everything is fine.

Now the only option left is master reset.

During master reset, it asks for Satellite information.

On which satellite does Tatasky broadcast ?

Any help will be really great.

Thanks a lot
Old 26th March 2018, 12:02   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Gentlemen,

Need your kind guidance.

My tatasky HD is behaving weirdly. During day time, the signal strength and signal quality are good enough to play the pictures correctly.

But during night time, they go down and suddenly to zero sometimes for a fraction of second. And its periodic.

Did all the basic prelim checks like the card connections, HDMI port and cable ports. Everything is fine.

Thanks a lot
Contact call centre and ask for technician visit. Better to get it checked. I had similar issues twice in the past: once they replaced some antenna part and the second time they replaced the set-top box (HD+).
Old 26th March 2018, 12:10   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Gentlemen,

Need your kind guidance.

Thanks a lot
Last year, I faced this problem many times. LNB was adjusted (someone had touched it probably it in our apartment terrace)...But this only partially solved the problem. Then some booster part was added (it costed around 100₹). Even then it was not solved and finally, the STB (HD+) was replaced which solved the problem completely (This costed 700₹). The older STB was almost 5 years old.

I suggest you schedule a technician visit.
Old 26th March 2018, 12:34   #681
BHPian

You have to be careful when calling the TS engineer. I was almost duped of Rs.2000/- when one of my TVs wasn't receiving a signal. (I have 3 STBs for 3 TVs - one main and two additional TVs)

When The engineer came, he said some circuit board on the dish had to be changed (where the cables plug in) - he said he will need to check whether the part is available and told me it would around Rs.2000/-. Since this was a Saturday, he said he would contact me on Monday.

Come Monday no call and I complained to the call centre. They sent another engineer on Tuesday. He found out that only the cable wire plug (that plugs into the STB socket) was defective (probably a Rs.5/- plug).

He changed the plug in a minute and everything started working - didn't even charge me for the visit.

So, moral of the lesson is that as much as possible check the connections first yourself, ask the technician to try the basic fix-it methods first before suggesting expensive and unnecessary replacements of parts.
Old 26th March 2018, 13:02   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Same thing happened to us. We called a tech for a no signal issue. He said STB is bad and has to be replaced. We told him that six flats in the building have same problem. So he says will have to replace all six. Booted him out and called the helpline and asked them NOT POLITELY to get their act in place.

They sent a new technician and found that the wire from the dish to junction box was faulty and needed to be replaced.

Have to be very careful with these people.
Old 26th March 2018, 13:46   #683
Senior - BHPian

The story is same for most of appliance technicians, especially new ones. They feel that every one is a noob and can be fleeced at will.

Any way, In our case the technicians are extremely knowledgeable and have never faced any problem with them. They have replaced the LNB twice and the dish once.

Regarding signal fading we have faced this problem quite a number of times
. When it starts raining, initially the signal is lost and takes at least a few minutes to come back.
. In heavy rain with dark clouds (when it gets dark in day time) the signal is lost till the clouds disperse or they become lighter.
. Signal fading at night points to weak signal, so it is either the dish direction or the LNB or the cable from LNB to STB. Get the technician to check each stage with a signal meter. That is what they did when I had signal drop.

In short if the path of the signal is blocked due to Atmospheric condition, there is nothing you can do.

Last edited by Aroy : 26th March 2018 at 13:48.
Old 26th March 2018, 15:59   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The story is same for most of appliance technicians, especially new ones. They feel that every one is a noob and can be fleeced at will.

Any way, In our case the technicians are extremely knowledgeable and have never faced any problem with them. They have replaced the LNB twice and the dish once.

Regarding signal fading we have faced this problem quite a number of times
. When it starts raining, initially the signal is lost and takes at least a few minutes to come back.
. In heavy rain with dark clouds (when it gets dark in day time) the signal is lost till the clouds disperse or they become lighter.
. Signal fading at night points to weak signal, so it is either the dish direction or the LNB or the cable from LNB to STB. Get the technician to check each stage with a signal meter. That is what they did when I had signal drop.

In short if the path of the signal is blocked due to Atmospheric condition, there is nothing you can do.
This is a bit off topic but you are right. We had a case with our fridge and called the Samsung guys - they said to change all 3 components in the fridge. First time I did it. After a couple of months the fridge again failed.

This time I called an old timer fridge/AC/washing machine technician and he clearly said that the heating element was defective. Changed it and the fridge has been ok since (its a 12 year old fridge).

The same approach should be taken with the Tata Sky engineers.
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:09   #685
BHPian

Re: The Tata Sky Thread

While most people here are contemplating getting their Tata Sky subscriptions canceled, I'm thinking of getting a new one as they are the only ones who provide all 4 HD channels in Kannada. I don't watch TV at all and it is only for my parents, so sports and English channels do not matter at all.

I remember there was an announcement by Tata Sky that they would be removing some Network 18 channels. Any update on that?
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:28   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
While most people here are contemplating getting their Tata Sky subscriptions canceled, I'm thinking of getting a new one as they are the only ones who provide all 4 HD channels in Kannada.
Believe me, those 4 Kannada HD channels are not as "HD" as English or sports HD channels. I got those channels subscribed but instantly realized it wasn't worth :(
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:26   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Believe me, those 4 Kannada HD channels are not as "HD" as English or sports HD channels. I got those channels subscribed but instantly realized it wasn't worth :(
Thanks. I have a Videocon d2h connection and have subscribed to HD channels since 1 and a half years. They do provide Colors Kannada and Udaya HD channels. I found them to be pretty good and considerably better than the SD channels. Of course, old movies look poor, but all the new HD content look good. Is the case of poor quality Tata Sky specific?
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:30   #688
BHPian

My Tata Sky account has been deactivated for lack of recharge - finally some relief. I seem to be more relaxed in the evening and not bound by timings of shows I used to watch (Masterchef and regional movies).

My daughter, though misses her cartoons, does not want me to recharge Tata Sky

Its netflix for an hour every day (addicted to it on weekends though), need to work on de-addiction

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 23rd November 2018 at 12:32.
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:18   #689
BHPian

Friends, we are planning to not recharge once our annual plan expires in Jan as all family members are comfortable using Fire TV stick for viewing various programs. Query I have is regarding ownership of STB. I am assuming that since we paid for STB and Dish, it continues to remain with us and we don't have to hand it over to Tata Sky. Please clarify.
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:25   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Friends, we are planning to not recharge once our annual plan expires in Jan as all family members are comfortable using Fire TV stick for viewing various programs. Query I have is regarding ownership of STB. I am assuming that since we paid for STB and Dish, it continues to remain with us and we don't have to hand it over to Tata Sky. Please clarify.
I also have a Airtel stb lying at home for the last year or so. Although we have paid for it, I think legally the stb belongs to Airtel (again not sure what the exact rules and fine print say).

Most Viewed