Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: What is your current photography gear?
APS-C DSLR Cameras with fully-owned set of lenses ( Small sensor devices such as the DX ) 80 19.80%
APS-C DSLR Cameras with some own lens but I rent the niche lenses 22 5.45%
Fullframe DSLR Cameras with fully-owned set of lenses ( such as the FX series by Nikon ) 38 9.41%
Fullframe DSLR Cameras some own lens but I rent the niche lenses 8 1.98%
Mirrorless Cameras 54 13.37%
Body-mounted Action Cameras such as Go-Pro 19 4.70%
Basic Point and Shoot Cameras 22 5.45%
I only use my cellphone Camera for all my photography now 219 54.21%
I take along a more serious-photographer friend 3 0.74%
I don't care anymore 39 9.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 11:01   #31
BHPian

Re: The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?

Though I agree that mobile phone cameras have come a long way, it depends on the genre of photography you are interested in. For most of the casual shots, landscapes etc., a mobile phone will surely do. But, when it comes to specialized cases like Birding, Sports etc., a DSLR with specific lenses are a must.

While I personally own a descent Nikon gear, my time for photography has come down a lot, making me think, should I just dump the gear and use Phone camera only.

But, considering my DSLR and the lenses have lot of life in it, I am just keeping them anyway and use it occasionally.

D500, 200-500, 70-200 2.8, 90mm Tamron, 50mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8 - yes, it is too much for limited use , but fortunately, my daughter has taken interest in photography, and hence would retain them for some more time, till she gives up.

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 27th September 2022 at 11:05.
Old 27th September 2022, 11:02   #32
BHPian

Both iPhone as well as my Fuji mirrorless APS-C camera. I typically travel with just one high quality lens and use the camera for sceneries and nature etc. The advantage with Fujifilm is that it produces amazing jpegs (with Fuji film simulations) straight out of the camera. And of course, my XT3 also transfers jpegs via Bluetooth to my phone automatically so I always have a copy in hand for the mandatory social media sharing.

Best of both worlds I think
Old 27th September 2022, 11:09   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I started with a APSC Mirrorless and loved the form factor (Lumix DMC G5) and continues with a Sony A74 (full frame Mirrorless). Also use a Pixel 4a as I love good photos.

While Pixel does take some nice pics, it can't (and any phone cameras for that matter) satisfy any hard core photography lover. Mirrorless/DSLR still has an edge in terms of pic quality and the way you can click pics at different lengths. Try taking a zoom pic in a phone camera and you immediately realise the problem.

While it's a hassle to carry the big cameras on a trip, it's completely worth when you are clicking the right pics at the right places and right time. I don't click too many pics and am a beginner, but when you get that 1 pic which is worthwhile, your love for big cameras go one step further.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th September 2022 at 11:11.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:02   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

My photography journey started with Film DSLRs, for some time was part of the World Wide Fund. In those days there was no picture review available, obviously, with film cameras and the first time I saw WWF photographers run through a 36 shots film in less than a minute, I was surprised. I learned photography using those cameras. Later I upgraded to Digital DX DSLR with portait and telephoto 300mm zoom lens. I tried out higher lens as I was bitten by the Bird photography bug for few years. I have realized that in India if travelling in a group its safe to carry lakhs of rupees of the photo lens, cameras etc. I did not find it safe travelling alone and later shifted to Smart phone photography, mainly iPhone.
I use both DSLR and iPhone for all kinds of photography.
I have not tried mirrorless cameras, but plan to check it out.
I don't want to do pros and cons or which is better, which is not as more options means enthusiasts have better choice and those who love photography will work on their favorite equipment and get the best shots, rather comparing or letting others know why they should stop using something.
There is no better period for phone photography like now. But I still use DSLR. I shoot in RAW and like to spend time in processing.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:03   #35
Team-BHP Support

I am one of those people who will click average pictures with any device they can lay their hands on. I have a 14 year old Nikon D80 which I still use, but very rarely. Most of the times I use a 3 year old iPhone XS and is sufficient for the type of pictures I click. During trips and places where charging a phone becomes a problem, I take the Nikon D850 as it can take tons of pictures with a single charge of the battery.
In between I had bought a Leica D-Lux 7 and it looked beautiful. But I sold it off after a year as I did not like the quality of the pictures. I am sure I was doing something wrong with it but I did not have the patience to pursue.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:17   #36
BHPian

I have been interested in photography since I was a kid, like many of us here. Have shot and processed films darkroom labs in Kodak EktaChrome etc.

My main areas of interest are Astro-photography and Birding, hence optical zoom was an inherent part of my requirements which cell phone cameras could never dream to replicate. Until S22 Ultra's 10X optical zoom.

I was an ardent fan of DSLR / Mirrorless till recently, I still am to an extent and diminishing fast.

My observations:

As of 2022, Samsung S22U / iPhone 14pro / Xiaomi 12SU etc. phones have changed the landscape completely. I would go out on a limb and say 90% of normal photographic requirements will be met or superseded by these phones vs a consumer DSLR / Mirrorless or even a prosumer.

This is mainly due to hardware AI Neural engines and huge ML data-sets and lighting speed processing, which puny image processors in prosumers and consumer cameras just cannot match. Nikon and Canon are far far behind on AI / ML and they will never be able to catch up to the likes of Apple, Samsung, Google and Huawei.

Now the debate is sensor size vs AI/ML processing, my observation is that tipping point has already reached. Denoising ISO issues of smaller sensors by AI is being done pretty well, same goes with DoF / Bokeh done by portrait modes pretty efficiently that negates large sensor + good optics necessity as in case of DSLR/Mirrorless.

Many DSLR aficionados will claim about "photos not being original and highly processed" while that is true, so it is with DSLR/Mirrorless even if they are RAW as basic image processing does happen. Plus mobile phones these days can shoot RAW also.

Now there are some areas where a Moblie camera cannot cut it as of 2022:

1. Taking pictures in extremely low light with a FF Sensor and a very fast lens
2. Doing Ultrazoom like really ultrazoom in not so great light
3. High action sports photography with a combination of zoom
4. Model photography that goes for print media etc.

But this segment requirements are miniscule for larger consumer market.

Video:

When there is talk of photography at pro / prosumer level, video is often neglected. However, in today's world video does rule content generation and creation.

In the Camera world, its hard to find a Camera that does both very well. While in the Mobile world video has been taken to the next level again owing to huge image processing power and AI. Professional features like sound zooming and even 8K videos are now on mobile phones which was unimaginable just 3 years back.

My two cents:

I have stopped lugging cameras around. Just the phone does a brilliant job. If I am on a birding or astro trip then its a different case but for travel / vacations its a hard case to get that 3-4% extra quality in photos vs weight and management, especially during security checks.

Cameras used over the years:

- Minolta SLR XD-11
- Minolta Dimage 6MP
- Lumix FZ28
- Lumix FZ35
- Nikon P520
- Lumix FZ72
- Nikon Z6
- Lieca M System M10P
- Olympus OM-D EM1 Mark III
- Nikon P900
And multiple lenses, mostly zoom / macro
-xplora- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:26   #37
BHPian

I only started using full-frame mirror-less since last year and for night/astrophotography, cell-phones will never be able to compete because of practical reasons (sensor size).

But for daylight photos i don't find too much benefits unless i am a professional photographer, because you can easily edit and post the final image on mobile whereas doing that from my camera takes lot more time and because of my low skill level i don't find much difference in end results unless i go pixel peeping.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have had a Nikon D5100 for many years and it kind of got long in the tooth. I have rekindled my hobby this year with the purchase of a Sony A7 Mk 4. I wanted to do some good monsoon photography but somehow this year, the sheer amount of rain and the hardship caused in terms of bad roads etc discouraged me from going outdoors quite a bit. Hopefully in the oncoming season, I will click start the proceedings.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th September 2022 at 12:37.
Old 27th September 2022, 12:38   #39
BHPian

It is more to do with the type of photography and its need now, more than anything else. I have voted for APSC-C since I own a Nikkon D3400 with two lenses- 18-55 and 70-200. During PG in Symbiosis, I learnt to do professional photography and have continued to pursue that as a hobby. In some situations such as car races and animal sanctuaries, the phone simply cannot do justice. However, there are several moments in which we must 'pause' and pay heed to what we really want. The DSLR is for such moments.

The other issue becomes that everyone asks to get clicked upon seeing you with the camera, preventing you from being part of any frame. This is yet another reason I dump the camera at times. And remembering to pick up the camera from each location every time? Quite a task for the current me.

P.S. The pictures below are clicked by DSLR
Attached Thumbnails
The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-spotted-owl.jpg  

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-dsc_0290.jpg  

Attached Images

bosem123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

For general purpose photography, it is hard to use DSLR and match the kind of results you get with the mobile cameras these days. My usage of DSLR has really come down but at least 2-3 times a year I take out my DSLR and photograph nature, especially macro. This (and tele) are probably 2 areas whee mobile cameras can't come close to a DSLR with good lenses yet.
The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-screenshot-20220927-12.43.26-pm.png

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-screenshot-20220927-12.42.21-pm.png

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-12525118_557622324414834_3760588248074350516_o.jpeg

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-15972670_708363666007365_781646827783543084_o.jpeg

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-13725080_611366419040424_3835229920976934542_o.jpeg

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-13717312_611367762373623_5626129380832099966_o.jpeg
Guna is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 13:02   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have a Canon 70D with 4 lenses. However, I only use it on special occasions. For the normal day to day stuff and short vacations, I use my Note 20 Ultra which gives fantastic quality pictures.
The picture quality from the phone is almost at a level that I can think about not using my DSLR unless its for special occasions, low light night photography and when a flash is required.
Old 27th September 2022, 13:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

I used a point and shoot camera till a decade ago and then came the large sensor compact camera (Sony RX100) and phones like iPhone 6 and Nexus 6p. I used to love the results in the RX100 and it kept company till late 2010s. along with the phones

Once I got used to the Pixels (now Pixel 6) the RX100 has been gathering dust as there hasn't been a bad shot by the Pixel at all (night modes more than stand up to the Sony notwithstanding its large sensor). Usage remained general photography than detailed macro shots and that is a major factor. Beyond ensuring a good frame and lighting, I also do not have in-depth knowledge of photography and its post processing

Feel guilty of the unused RX100 now

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 27th September 2022 at 13:15.
Old 27th September 2022, 13:29   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

The thing about DSLR's /Mirrorless that the rest cant touch - is the availability of pics in RAW. Forget using PS or LR, even the basic utilities provided by the manufacturers can help change the image into something beyond what the jpg shows.

One sample from an amateur like me: a blade of grass that in no way stood out. Yet I was able to pull out this view from what I had shot.

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-grass.jpg

I have been holding on to my D5200, but toying with the idea of giving it away. I havent been using it much. Most of my incidental shooting is now on the iphone which takes decent pics. I have a slightly old Powershot P&S too which I carry sometimes. I dont do too many trips these days, but the capability of a DSLR is not easy to give up. Hence may be I will give away this P&S too, and get a mirrorless that's easier to carry than the Nikon.

Last edited by condor : 27th September 2022 at 13:31.
condor is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 13:53   #44
BANNED

This poll is as predictable as it is misleading and unnecessary. Although it may not appear to be a parallel at first glance, let us put out a poll asking these two questions -
1.) Would you prefer driving pleasure? Or better fuel economy?

2.) As a true enthusiast, assuming that money and time and good health are aplenty in your life, and assuming that you live somewhere where the infrastructure is fabulous, then would you buy a BMW M car or a Maybach or whatever? Or would you still drive around your 3 or 4 cylinder bread box whilst stating that it is "more than enough" and also while using adjective phrases such as "hoot to drive" and "fun ride" to describe said 3/4 pot car?
If people answered truthfully, then I am sure we all can predict the response curves to the above questions; not just out in the real world, but even here on Team BHP. The truth is that half the folks who purport to be enthusiasts in any forum aren't really enthusiasts at all.

The points I am trying to make are these:
1.) Just like true automotive enthusiasm, photography with DSLRs is indeed a niche. And it hasn't been relegated to niche status just in the last few years either. It has ALWAYS been a niche pursuit only. It takes, time, money and real effort to get access to camera equipment and then to work on mastering the techniques required to produce good photos. Many people give up at various points in the journey. This is not to say that their choices are wrong. Ultimately we all do what works for us. But, just because cell phones take very good photos today doesn't mean that cameras are all of a sudden irrelevant.

2.) The smartphone wave has put a camera in everyone's hands. Literally, barring a few remote locations in the world, there isn't a human being on earth today who doesn't have access to a smartphone camera. The result is that everyone fancies themselves to be an accomplished enough photographer to pass judgement on how cameras are unnecessary. I am willing to bet that 90% of people responding this poll would not be making a beeline to acquire DSLRs if they didn't have their phone cameras with them. They were never into photography in the first place and yet they feel well-positioned to state that cameras are irrelevant today.

Certainly smart phones have their place. And there is real merit in putting a camera in everyone's hands. Democratization of photography is a wonderful thing and it is wonderful for more people's perspectives to be presented to the world. But, having said that, and this is purely my opinion by which I mean absolutely no offense to anyone - almost all of the photos from phones presented online as proud accomplishments are actually average to below average work. If you want to see pictures in which real energy and time and yes, money too, has been invested; be it in landscapes or in street photography or in portraits or in sports, head over to websites that showcase work of accomplished photographers and then compare those pictures to the pictures from your phone which you present to the world as an accomplishment. That exercise should give you a real sense of where you stand.

What is happening in photography with smartphones is very much what is happening with videos / youtube and cinematography. Shoot a few videos for youtube, get a few "Amazing" and "Wow" comments and then conclude that barring a few nuances, your output is good enough or even great; and with a little more effort, there is no reason why you can't equal the outputs of say Sanjay Leela Bhansali or Mani Ratnam or Rajamouli or whoever. This when 90% of videos on youtube are puke-worthy with zero production value; which brings me to the next point.

3.) In some cases, photography can be a field or craft to be mastered, especially if it is your profession. But, in a real sense, photography is actually creative expression where the camera is only a medium. So, for true photography lovers, the joy lives more in the process and there is arguably less emphasis on the results. This again is similar to automotive enthusiasm. The joy is actually in the process of seeing, working with, and in experiencing the various mechanical aspects of vehicles than it is in the outright end-product.
Me personally? I choose the horses-for-courses approach. I shoot a lot on my phone and I am actually quite happy with many of the photos. But, I also undertake trips specifically to take pictures with my camera. Doing so doubles the experience quotient. There is the first wave of experience during the journey itself; and then the next wave of delight when you sit to edit the images and the whole trip comes back to you.

Cheers

Last edited by mohansrides : 27th September 2022 at 14:10.
mohansrides is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 14:06   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The thing about DSLR's /Mirrorless that the rest cant touch - is the availability of pics in RAW. Forget using PS or LR, even the basic utilities provided by the manufacturers can help change the image into something beyond what the jpg shows.
Agree with the flexibility a Raw capture provides *if* one is willing to put in the time in post processing.

That’s fast changing though. Apple has already introduced the ProRAW for the pro models. Might trickle down to regular models as well in the future.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211965
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed