Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 20:26   #1
BHPian

How To Improve BSNL/MTNL BroadBand Output

Dear All,

We have seen gradual but definite increase in broadband penetration after BSNL and MTNL came out with minimum 2 MBPS speed with reasonable affordable package.....

Purpose of this thread is to find ways & methods to improve performance of broadband connections............

Here is what I found & implemented & benefited....

1)With Automatic IP address assignment router keeps on searching new IP address every 12 minutes and this hangs connection without our notice...with assigning manual IP address we are pointing exact IP address in TCP/IPin right directions.....

What We need to do?.......we need to assign IP address manually...we can get details by double clicking Boradband icon then "Support" then "Details".....this displays IP address & other details.....or we can get details by clicking "Start"....then "Run".....typing "cmd" will give black screen whre we need to type "ipconfig/all" to get full details of our connections...

After finding Ip address & other details we need to assign it this way...

Click Broadband connection icon then "Propertie" then "Internet Protocol TCP/Ip.....in next window of TCP/IP protocols tick "use the following IP address" and manually assign P address like 192.168.1.2and subnet mask like 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway like 192.168.1.1......

Also check "Use Following DNS Server Addresses....and input address which may be same as Default Gateway.....

Then click "Advanced" and highlight Gateway address and click "Edit".....A small window of TCP/IP address is opened....here uncheck "Automatic Metric" and assign a value of 1 in the box of Metric......

Close all windows vby clicking "ok" and reboot machine.....

We get improved performance in surfing.......

If for any reasons this doesnt work then go back to "Internet Protocol Properties" and click"Assgin IP address Automatically"......and reboot....you will be back to normal setting.....I hope this wil help all....

Here is an excellent website duscussing all these in details.....

broadbandnuts - cablenut

Enjoy...

Last edited by finetuning : 8th July 2007 at 20:28.
finetuning is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th July 2007, 21:21   #2
BANNED

This router (and most routers provided by VSNL too) can be used as ordinary modems - you have to install and use PPPOE (ppp over ethernet) software - pppoe and pppoeconf on linux boxes, and rppoe on boxes running microsoft.
The configuration you are talking of - the router is running a DHCP server, and assigns a local IP address to your computer. The public IP address is assigned to the router. This is the right thing, if you are using microsoft OSes, because your computer is securer. But I use exclusively linux here, and I use the router as a modem and run a pppoe software, with the public IP address assigned to the computer, I have better control. One of the best things with this pppoe setup is that I can access the files on my computer like when I am on tour. I simply call up my home to switch the computer, and with some "little tricks", I can find up its IP address. Next, I login through SSH, and can read the file I want.
I have set this up very securely, that even if he gets the root password, a third person cannot login. I bet.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:50   #3
BHPian

Hi All,

Found another good way improve browsing speed with whatever connection we have at no extra cost and easy to implement.

Its OpenDNS.It improves the DNS resolution so fast making surfing really faster.I m using it since few days and working great.

What we need to do?

Just click Network connection icon--->properties---->Internet Protocols(TCP/IP).

Here we need to type Preferred DNS Server : 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS Server : 208.67.220.220

Rebooting will take effect.See the difference in browsing

Need to check this OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster DNS
Old 11th July 2007, 09:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Why do you want to reboot all the time? Just restart you network, unless you are talking about "Save/Reboot" on the router itself.
Actually when you have a single or just 2-3 computers, you do not need to have DHCP, you can just have static IP address.
As for open DNS, its a faster DNS server better than what Airtel/MTNL etc., provide.
It will improve the initial wait time while opening a site, if you have a download on, it will not make any difference in the download speed.
DNS servers are just used once while resolving the site, once the IP address is resolved DNS server is out of window.
Another thing can be increasing MTU as close to 1500, but this breaks windows update, so 1452 is the most commonly used setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This router (and most routers provided by VSNL too) can be used as ordinary modems - you have to install and use PPPOE (ppp over ethernet) software - pppoe and pppoeconf on linux boxes, and rppoe on boxes running microsoft.
The configuration you are talking of - the router is running a DHCP server, and assigns a local IP address to your computer. The public IP address is assigned to the router. This is the right thing, if you are using microsoft OSes, because your computer is securer. But I use exclusively linux here, and I use the router as a modem and run a pppoe software, with the public IP address assigned to the computer, I have better control. One of the best things with this pppoe setup is that I can access the files on my computer like when I am on tour. I simply call up my home to switch the computer, and with some "little tricks", I can find up its IP address. Next, I login through SSH, and can read the file I want.
I have set this up very securely, that even if he gets the root password, a third person cannot login. I bet.
Umm you can use port forwarding on the NATTED option as well. Most modems now support dyndns etc., so that you can access your computer from anywhere on the internet, but with pathetic internet speeds I have seen this is hardly of any use!
In PPPOE setting I suggest you use shorewall or something, since you have the ssh port open.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th July 2007 at 09:35.
Old 11th July 2007, 17:18   #5
BHPian

Hi

We need to reboot pc as we are changing network properties and not making any changes at router configuration.

Many times websites just takes more time to load because of dns resolution.This makes browsing fast.Rightly said it doesnt improve download speed.In the normal course of surfing we are hitting so many dns queries so that way its helpful.Apart form faster browsing this blocks phishing attempt,blocks ugly contents and much more.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

With the cable cut fiasco my BSNL connection had gone into snail mode, to the extend half the time TBHP wont load. Remembered about open DNS and that i had not configured it in the new router.

Enter open dns and voila am baaaack
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:22   #7
BHPian

There is nothing like free lunch, if you need more bandwidth, you need to pay for it.

Changes to MTU etc used to make some minor difference in dial up days, but with the current slew of DSL connections, they hardly make any perceptible difference. Unless you are using a wireless based internet connection for the last mile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning View Post
1)With Automatic IP address assignment router keeps on searching new IP address every 12 minutes and this hangs connection without our notice...with assigning manual IP address we are pointing exact IP address in TCP/IPin right directions.....
This is complete nonsense dude. And I dont think a DHCP lease is set for 12 minutes in any hardware I know, unless of course, you made some "mods" to it?
Quote:
Found another good way improve browsing speed with whatever connection we have at no extra cost and easy to implement.

Its OpenDNS.It improves the DNS resolution so fast making surfing really faster.I m using it since few days and working great.
From India, Open DNS does not really speed up your browsing experience, instead slows it down for a majority of cases. The culprit here is network delays. The ping time to the OpenDNS servers is around 300ms from India.

For Airtel, it makes no sense to use it. Their DNS servers hardly ever go down.

But for BSNL, since their DNS servers keep going down, I use OpenDNS. And that does not speed up browsing, instead slows down domain name resolution.

Quote:
We need to reboot pc as we are changing network properties and not making any changes at router configuration.
No need to reboot after changing network settings, for any modern operating system.

Quote:
...Apart form faster browsing this blocks phishing attempt,blocks ugly contents and much more.
Non sense again.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

The details given by thread starter is non-sense and funny even by 2007 standard during when it was posted.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
The details given by thread starter is non-sense and funny even by 2007 standard during when it was posted.
Yes, still we dont want a thread with complete non-sense hanging around.

Of course, that is just my excuse, I really did not watch the thread date.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Quote:
...Apart form faster browsing this blocks phishing attempt,blocks ugly contents and much more.
Non sense again.
Please take a look at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenDNS Site
OpenDNS phishing protection is enabled by default, and powered by PhishTank among others.
Source : OpenDNS > Support > Knowledge Base

cya
R
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Open DNS works for my BSNL that much i know, atleast was proven yesterday at home. OR same time sea line issue was repaired will check again today evening and see. In BSNL i have noticed there will be an marginal improvement in speed during normal times (multiple test with speedtest.net). Dont know about other DSL's.

They do have some inbuilt restrictions and blocks where by warning pages are issued for certain sites which are fraudulent in nature.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:57   #12
BHPian

Hmm, here I was thinking this was about pouring boric acid/ethylene glycol/toluene/$industrial_solvent into the router, or drilling "speed holes" into my network cable.

How boring, this computar stuff :(
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Lol tadukuttan. Thanks for the clarifications. I was just about to change the settings in the router.

Most Viewed