Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2023, 13:07   #61

Re: Multiple phones per person | Use Cases, Advantages, Disadvantages

I always preferred to have 2 devices. The primary one is an iPhone which is intended for personal use. Calls, banking apps and other social media apps.

The second one is an android which is mainly for office use and a backup phone incase something goes wrong with the primary. I also use it for navigation purposes while driving/travelling.

Used to have office apps on primary when secondary was handed over to my brother as his phone was dead. That is when MS Teams and mail notifications used to bombard my phone with notifications, and I made it clear to have office apps on a different device altogether.

Also android helps in downloading and sending files easily.
Old 18th February 2023, 14:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytragopan View Post
How is the Pixel experience (specifically the camera picture quality)?
Compared to my OnePlus, it's leagues ahead, especially in low light conditions. A large part of the phone's USP is the built-in AI smarts leveraging it's Tensor processor.

Last edited by KL54 : 18th February 2023 at 14:48.
KL54 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 14:56   #63
BHPian

Using my old OnePlus 6 purely to sync my cycling data from galaxy watch to strava. The S health app is horrible on android and even worse on iOS. Might trade it in when I switch to an apple watch. That said, both my sims are on my iPhone and have never felt the need to carry a second one.
Old 18th February 2023, 15:14   #64
BHPian

A single Phone user here, started using dual SIM mode since 2017 when got office corporate connection. I am currently located out of India and current use my iphone mini in dual SIM mode -

Esim for India number
Physical SIM for local corporate number

For me, carrying 2 phones is a hassle and given how big the phones are now-a-days, I am happy with my Iphone Mini.
Old 18th February 2023, 19:26   #65
BHPian

2 phones
Primary jio sim on a note 20 ultra work phone on flight mode on Sunday.
Secondry airtel sim on a Samsung note 9 personal phone used for media consumption,phone running YouTube vanced almost non stop, car media player ,GPS and Sunday calls.
Find the setup so perfect that I'm rarely using my galaxy tab s7 plus for personnel entertainment device.
Old 18th February 2023, 20:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

I ended up with two numbers when I relocated from Mumbai to Bangalore in 2011 (pre-MNP days). Since my primary phone at the time was single SIM (an N900) I had to acquire a second phone (a Blackberry Bold). So I have been with a minimum 2 phones for ~12 years now (for about 5-6 years in between, I was responsible for product management of mobile apps so used to carry more than 2 phones - at one point, 8 of them).

In the early days, I followed some rules like the bank whose number on record corresponds to the SIM on a phone, will not have its mobile banking app on the same phone. But with the advent of UPI that rule had to be abandoned.

Today I carry a Rog II and a Rog 5 - both dual-SIM, but with only one SIM each. The two are on different networks (Airtel & Jio). I usually keep the hotspot on the Jio one so that its 2 GB/day quota is exhausted before Airtel's. While some apps/services are installed on both the phones (Android Auto, Digilocker, OneDrive, Spotify...), at this point I consciously differentiate them as "the one I need with me all the time" and "the one that I can afford to leave at home/in the car". So I forward all calls from the latter to the former. The former gets all chat apps, finance/banking apps, Uber/Blu etc. while the latter has Netflix/Prime, MyGate, Google TV and suchlike.

My car has 2 USB slots that are linked to the HU - but I don't see any quick way to connect two phones so that I can easily switch between them.

(I also carry a SIM tray extraction tool and one set of nano to micro to regular SIM adapters in my wallet).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 22:03   #67
BHPian

Currently using 2 phones - primary is IOS and used for calls, virtual meetings when I am on the road, emails, banking, shopping and photography. The second one is an Android which I recently picked up to replace my previous backup phone that died due to a water incident.

Now all my gaming, browsing, social media, multi-media and stuff are done on my 2nd phone. I dont really use it for calls, and I dont mind leaving it back if I'm going out for dinner or to the movies etc. I have gotten used to carrying 2 phones, even before I switched to IOS. And with the super fast charging androids, charging them doesn't feel like a chore.
EvilZombie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 22:21   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I mandatorily have to have two phones. My office phone has office email, various other office apps including Zoom, Webex and some internal apps - but has all messaging and non approved apps (practically everything bar Google Maps, Uber and a couple of others) barred. So I can’t even receive the OTP for my official credit card on it.

Hence I need to have my personal phone - for personal calls, personal mail, WhatsApp, Team BHP et al.

Also have two iPads for the same reasons - one for work, and another for Netflix, Prime Movies, Kindle et al.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 00:05   #69
BANNED

I use a pixel 6 and single sim , but have samsung budget phone that carry when I travel , I've never lost phones but the extra phone is for incase if i break the display or device issue to swap sims
Old 21st February 2023, 07:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
For me, carrying 2 phones is a hassle and given how big the phones are now-a-days, I am happy with my Iphone Mini.
Carrying two phone is indeed a headache. Perhaps foldable smartphones will make it doable for people like us to carry two phones.
Old 23rd February 2023, 18:43   #71
BHPian

Have 2 mobile phones - one with SIM and one without.

Multiple phones per person | Use Cases, Advantages, Disadvantages-wa_20230221-17.14.45.jpg

The one with SIM is used as a "phone". It has 2 SIM slots, which covers the case of putting a 2nd prepaid SIM if required for abroad.

To experience the (somewhat) latest and greatest in mobile phone technology, I have a 2nd unit, and obviously this does not need a SIM. It is used as a camera and handheld gaming device. I don't need to carry it with me always unless I am traveling, even then I prefer to carry both in a bag instead of in person.

This setup gives me the best of both worlds. Even today after 7+ years, the Moto X Play runs 2+ days on charge at least. It drains battery with Google Maps though, which anyway I don't depend at runtime. I rather check maps when at home before the journey, then take screenshots if I have to. I do however, plan to upgrade it to a 5G device soon as 5G is in my city already for sometime now.

The OnePlus 7T has a decent camera, and serves most of my photography requirements these days. And when at home, it is an excellent Steam Deck replacement for retro games (don't like typical mobile games and their microtransactions). This is the best way to utilise those high benchmark numbers of modern ARM processors IMO.

In general, I am not a fan of mobile phones. I try to use my desktop for everything I can, and use a phone only if I need to. So far, this setup has served me well and allowed me more control of my time.
Old 25th February 2023, 08:07   #72
BHPian

IMHO, it is best to have a spare phone or two.

Many websites use your numbers to absolutely put you through a torture chamber. These guys call during the worst times. Absolutely irritating. In that case, having a spare phone for such escapades is always useful. Using a phone that is beaten down and cant be exchanged is perfect for this job.

For mobile gamers, you can also root the device, install modded apks, and have fun.

Carrying it everywhere will be a pain yes. But needs outweigh comfort.
Old 7th August 2023, 11:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Awakening a sleeping thread.

Recently, a blogger I follow published this piece:

https://trungphan.substack.com/p/the-tale-of-two-phones

He articulates a framework for putting two phones to better use and overcome smartphone addition. Well worth a read. I am in the process of implementing (and documenting) this protocol and documenting it as I go.
Old 7th August 2023, 13:39   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Awakening a sleeping thread.

Recently, a blogger I follow published this piece:

https://trungphan.substack.com/p/the-tale-of-two-phones

He articulates a framework for putting two phones to better use and overcome smartphone addition. Well worth a read. I am in the process of implementing (and documenting) this protocol and documenting it as I go.
Apple Watch with cellular feature can work as a dumb phone clone of your main iphone. You won’t miss your primary phone much. I find it incredibly useful. Helps me stay away from my phone and yet remain reachable. Plus the watch encourages a very healthy lifestyle.

I do have an alternate number with a junkyard phone that remains switched off unless. I need OTP etc from the likes of e-commerce portal sign in pages. I give this number for all internet sign up services and shops that are desperate for my mobile number.

Last edited by androdev : 7th August 2023 at 13:48.
Old 7th August 2023, 15:47   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Apple Watch with cellular feature can work as a dumb phone clone of your main iphone.
The whole purpose of the article is to introduce a framework that allows one to use two smartphones without getting addicted; not to have one smartphone + one dumbphone to avoid addiction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks