Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 23:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Home Security Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
and an IR NV camera more than 18 months back and all are working really fine.
Great . Could you explain to what have you connected the IR NV camera to ? tv ?. Could you point out the camera you got and how is the resolution?
Old 24th January 2012, 16:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Great . Could you explain to what have you connected the IR NV camera to ? tv ?. Could you point out the camera you got and how is the resolution?
I have installed 2 cameras sourced from the US. They are wireless and they use 2.4 GHz to communicate to their receivers from which you can connect a TV ( bad idea unless you plan on to have a full time security Guard to monitor) or more preferably connect to a DVR. I bought a DVR from Ebay and my security system has been doing duty for the last couple of years. My DVR has a 500 GB hard disk which keeps writing all over once it is full. This gives you time to check up to 6 months.

For better camera resolution, you need to have good ambient lighting though.

Last edited by Prowler : 24th January 2012 at 16:08. Reason: Added more information
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 22:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I did the "installation" at a place that is 55kms away from my home; we have a small rubber estate and farm house there. The sensors and the night vision camera are intended to protect a store room where rubber sheets and scrap rubber ("ottupal" in local slang) are stored. This is how it is implemented:

- the house has a sole occupant, our rubber tapper. He switches on the PIR sensors and the camera in the evenings before locking the storeroom.
- the camera is not wireless; it can be connected to a 14"TV that he keeps in his room. Usually the TV is connected to a Sun TV dish.
- if there is an intrusion, the PIR alarms will kick on. The tapper can then immediately connect the camera leads to the TV and view what is going on without unlocking the bedroom.

He gets false PIR alarms at least once in a month. This will happen when spiders etc. crawl over the PIR sensors.

Hope fellow TBHPians wont laugh at this "security system".

I did a quick check at DX and cannot find the exact model of the camera that I have; here is a model that is somewhat similar:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wired-s...hite-pal-91339

This is a better model than the one that I own. Mine has only 18 IR LEDs.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 26th January 2012 at 23:06.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 09:41   #34
BHPian

I live in Gurgaon and would appreciate some information from fellow BHPians about the legalities of setting up an electric fence. Our house was broken into recently and well anguish of a repeat is really troubling.

Just saw this thread, I did not even know such threads existed on team-BHP.
I am also looking for a monitored system from Group 4. I had inquired for guard services from Group 4 but a 24 hour hour guard is being quoted for 35000 per month, which is a bit too steep.

I have heard that electric fencing combined with Monitoring system is quite good alternative.

Could anyone comment or share his experiences about similar products and are there any other good players in the market.

Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 16:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I live in Gurgaon and would appreciate some information from fellow BHPians about the legalities of setting up an electric fence. Our house was broken into recently and well anguish of a repeat is really troubling.

Just saw this thread, I did not even know such threads existed on team-BHP.
I am also looking for a monitored system from Group 4. I had inquired for guard services from Group 4 but a 24 hour hour guard is being quoted for 35000 per month, which is a bit too steep.

I have heard that electric fencing combined with Monitoring system is quite good alternative.

Could anyone comment or share his experiences about similar products and are there any other good players in the market.

Thanks
If you can afford it and can keep it, buy a Rottweiler. The best security you can have. The burglars can check in, but they will never leave
No need for a 35k 24hrs guard nor electric fence. Just a camera setup with a good dog should keep you safe.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 26th February 2012 at 16:05.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
If you can afford it and can keep it, buy a Rottweiler. The best security you can have. The burglars can check in, but they will never leave
No need for a 35k 24hrs guard nor electric fence. Just a camera setup with a good dog should keep you safe.
LOL about the Hotel California reference...
Dog was considered but there have been numerous reports where they just spray something on the dog and it goes ineffective.
Cameras are already installed, they are useless, the police saw the footage and even took copies, its been four months and till date nothing.
The only effective solution we can think of is the electric fence with monitoring at the moment.
Old 27th February 2012, 10:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Dog was considered but there have been numerous reports where they just spray something on the dog and it goes ineffective.
Cameras are already installed, they are useless, the police saw the footage and even took copies, its been four months and till date nothing.
The only effective solution we can think of is the electric fence with monitoring at the moment.
Security consists of several layers of protection. For the outer perimeter, put up ostensible big all weather camera enclosure and a PIR activated lights. Measures like 'Beware of Dog' and a weatherproof camera act as deterrents for the casual thief.

For the internal perimeter, high resolution cameras with adequate IR lighting helps. You can use electric fence in select vulnerable areas. Don't use normal 240 AC mains for electric fence. Use high voltage step-up transformer to raise the voltage to about 3000 V with short circuit protected supply.

Remember the adage - It is Volts that Jolts and Mils that Kills. A few milli amperes of current is enough to kill. But what you need is not to kill but to shock. So use high Voltage without arcing. Make sure that you use insulation that is not so visible. Also make sure your other occupants are not in danger. You must have some sort of control to turn them on and off before you enter the protected premises. Another thing, this electrification is the last point of defense. It must be preceded by electronic burglar alarm.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 19:34   #38
BHPian

would like some pointers on home security cameras which can record video footage so that it can be viewed as per required later.

some links would be helpful.
Old 6th March 2012, 20:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
would like some pointers on home security cameras which can record video footage so that it can be viewed as per required later.

some links would be helpful.
You need cameras as well as DVR for recording video/audio footage for viewing later. Take a look at this Security Cameras

You can use cameras only with video out /audio out connections to hook up to a DVR.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:07   #40
BHPian

Re: Home Security Systems in B'lore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Bumped into this old thread. I am looking for this info for my home. Can someone share latest information.
Could you setup a security system for your home? I am looking out for a security system for my home in B'lore.

Please share the information/experience.
Old 26th May 2012, 03:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you setup a security system for your home? I am looking out for a security system for my home in B'lore.

Are you asking about legal acceptance for having a security camera, if I understood correct, its your home, you have every right for its security, on public places a notice of electronic surveillance is required but for home I don't think one would put such a sign in bedroom or kitchen.

Whatever you install, best way would be to make it as hidden as possible, this will enhance chances of saving the footage from getting tampered if the offender wants to destroy the evidence.
Old 26th May 2012, 05:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru

No I could not. I will be starting the search again. There are companies who provide wired and wireless systems and they can provide demo of products but I do not have any real feedback on any
Old 26th May 2012, 08:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Are you asking about legal acceptance for having a security camera, if I understood correct, its your home, you have every right for its security, on public places a notice of electronic surveillance is required but for home I don't think one would put such a sign in bedroom or kitchen.

Whatever you install, best way would be to make it as hidden as possible, this will enhance chances of saving the footage from getting tampered if the offender wants to destroy the evidence.
Nope. I am not asking that. I was looking for more so, like intrusion alarm and door alarm systems. Yeah, i agree it should be as inconspicuous as possible. Please share if you know of companies into this in B'lore.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:33   #44
BHPian

I am an agriculturist and my farms are 100km away from my home.I wanted to monitor my godown,thats where I store my seeds and fertilisers and equipment. And post harvest thats where I store my produce.
Is there a way I can put a camera there and watch it live here at my home/office?
Old 26th May 2012, 12:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I am an agriculturist and my farms are 100km away from my home.I wanted to monitor my godown,thats where I store my seeds and fertilisers and equipment. And post harvest thats where I store my produce.
Is there a way I can put a camera there and watch it live here at my home/office?
Since i am in this same field (CCTV & IP Camera) i can guide you here.

To be able to monitor your go-down remotely you need internet connectivity there in the first place. Once that is sorted you can pick either of the 2 below mentioned system as per your requirement

1. Analog camera + DVR (Digital Video Recorder)
with this you can get a DVR in 4/8/16 channels and have a SATA HDD which can store your recording feed from cameras and also the DVR's are network compatible and you can have a remote access for the same.

2. IP Cameras
You can also have a IP Camera setup which can let you monitor the godows from any location. if recording is not your priority you can have an IP camera installed and can remotely log onto and monitor your premises any time you want.

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks