Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2023, 08:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Cheap but effective DIY WiFi Mesh Setup for my home

Thank you for the thread. Using openwrt from a long time and recently started using Fast Roaming feature. It works really great.

You can also try DAWN on openwrt. From the wiki

Quote:
DAWN is a decentralized controller for wi-fi clients (eg, laptops, phones) that aims to ensure that each client is connected to an access point (AP, aka "wifi router") that will give good network throughput. This reduces wastage of radio capacity due to weak / distant radio connections that cause transmission retry, degradation of speed, etc.
There is a package on openwrt for this and the GitHub page
atulsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 10:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
At this point, client roams into that stronger signal emitting AP. WiFiMan application detects that switch over and informs via pop-up message.
Hello NaXal, I'd like to know how the handheld device is forced to switch. In my simple setup, I have a router and access point in my apartment. But usually if I am connected to one router and start moving closer to the AP, the mobile device would still holds on to the router till the time the signal gets very weak while the AP is already in range with much stronger signal. Many times I have to force switch the handheld device.

How did you address this problem? My understanding is the behavior is on the client side and it doesn't change whether you have old type of router+AP setup or Mesh network.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 22:08   #18

I use a Tp-link Deco M4 mesh wifi system with 2 units. The 2 units are currently using wireless backhaul for signal transfer between them( Ideally should be connected by ethernet cable). However, now the signal has become stable in my 2 story house. While there is a slight speed drop for the secondary router( probably because it does not have a wired connection to the primary unit), the speeds are acceptable. Costed me Rs 6000 for 2 units. Expensive as compared to setting up your DIY solution but if in case anyone is interested, this is a feasible option.
Wifi calling also works well now throughout my house as the 4g signal is a bit low.
sunshineqq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 09:28   #19
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil
My understanding is the behavior is on the client side and it doesn't change whether you have old type of router+AP setup or Mesh network.
You are right, they are called "Sticky Client". This logic is more or less baked into the client WiFi Card firmware & OS. Some devices (due to their configuration) are more willing to roam and some are more stubborn. Ultimately, the final decision is with the clients.

Quote:
How did you address this problem?
Pardon me, but I am no expert and my knowledge is limited at best. Whatever reading I have done, I see following options.

1. Use of k or v protocols with their advance settings to assist / nudge the clients into roaming
2. HeatMap and load calculation -> For effective AP placement

My network is just a simple home network. Number of devices are limited, even if I am having party at home with many guests. So per AP load factor and extra effort to configure 802.11K or V stuff didn't feel worth the effort. So I have avoided that.

What I did do is the heat map calculation for proper AP placement to avoid too much of overlap between APs. One can also play with the transmission strength of each AP to reduce the signal travel to achieve this.

Quote:
Many times I have to force switch the handheld device.
In case of Mesh setup, clients do move much easily compared to multiple separate WiFi. Unless mesh is running, what you have observed is common client behavior.

I have shared some screenshot of roaming process in this post (Cheap but effective DIY WiFi Mesh Setup for my home)

Now the above is from network side. There are few things can be done at client side also for better roaming performance.

Cheap but effective DIY WiFi Mesh Setup for my home-01.jpg

Here is an example with MS Windows. One can adjust the roaming sensitivity and decision making. Similar for Android via advance developer options but Apple devices are tough, don't see any way of changing their factory default roaming sensitivity.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks