Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2016, 10:56   #136
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
If you are going to install Linux alongside Windows 10 please be advised Windows 10 does not behave properly if another OS tries to access the bootloader. Problem is that GRUB/Syslinux bootloader of Linux used to replace the BIOS or UEFI and help boot Windows or Linux in the old days. Now Windows 10 is UEFI only and prohibits any other OS that tries to replace the bootloader as a "security feature". Point is you will have to really go through a lot of hoops to get a dual boot working if Windows was installed first (not to mention that half the partition would be NTFS and 50 GB for Linux would be EXT4) but it is possible as written here http://askubuntu.com/questions/66663...fi-hp-notebook
There is also another option and that is to use Virtual Box to install your copy Linux.
I was dual booting Windows 7 starter and Linux Mint when the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 came. With lots of apprehension I decided to take the plunge and took the upgrade route. To my surprise and delight Windows 10 with the 1511 update not only preserved my entire windows 7 based setup but also did not alter the dual booting menu. Windows 10 didn't alter the boot menu at all so much so that I have to select the Windows 7 option in order to boot Windows 10 now.
Old 16th January 2016, 11:57   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I was dual booting Windows 7 starter and Linux Mint
Windows secure boot works if you try to install another OS after installing Windows 10. Also, if you were using Windows 7 starter you were probably using BIOS in the first place. For laptops that ship with Windows 10, UEFI boot is compulsory. When you upgraded Windows 7 to 10 did the grub bootloader still work for choosing between Mint and Windows 10 or did you see a new bootloader of Windows 10 ?
Old 18th January 2016, 15:32   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
Windows secure boot works if you try to install another OS after installing Windows 10. Also, if you were using Windows 7 starter you were probably using BIOS in the first place. For laptops that ship with Windows 10, UEFI boot is compulsory. When you upgraded Windows 7 to 10 did the grub bootloader still work for choosing between Mint and Windows 10 or did you see a new bootloader of Windows 10 ?
No Windows 10 bootloader and it seems the grub bootloader was left untouched, because, to go to Windows 10 I still need to select Windows 7 from the grub menu.
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has experience with Crossover for Linux? Does installing Office 2010 need the licensed version? It simply wont install on the trial version. Any ideas on which license I should go for? Looks like the base version is taken care of, but the pricing varies on how many months of updates you want.
Old 4th February 2016, 01:19   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Anyone has experience with Crossover for Linux? Does installing Office 2010 need the licensed version? It simply wont install on the trial version. Any ideas on which license I should go for? Looks like the base version is taken care of, but the pricing varies on how many months of updates you want.
Crossover will install Office 2010 and will download many libraries (.net) while installing.
You may try Playonlinux. PlayonLinux will install Office 2010. Only 32-bit office 2010 executable works.
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-8...fice_2010.html
Old 14th July 2017, 19:36   #141
Team-BHP Support

Is there any good tech support company in India that supports small enterprises with Linux issues, specifically for Debian? Can't rely on online support because it needs quick resolution.
Old 17th July 2017, 10:54   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is there any good tech support company in India that supports small enterprises with Linux issues, specifically for Debian? Can't rely on online support because it needs quick resolution.
Please check your PM.
Old 24th March 2018, 17:31   #143
BANNED

Please recommend a Linux Netbook (10-12 inch screen), Will be used only for internet access and occasionally watching videos , some document editing.
Price less than Rs15K will be ideal.

I intend to experiment and get a feel of the Linux OS. So installing any Linux distro I feel like should be easy for a beginner like me.

amazon shows only 1 linux netbook ( acer -12inch screen), but review says - "It is a herculean task to install Ubuntu or any other modern Linux distro here."
Old 24th March 2018, 23:53   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Please recommend a Linux Netbook (10-12 inch screen), Will be used only for internet access and occasionally watching videos , some document editing.
Price less than Rs15K will be ideal.

I intend to experiment and get a feel of the Linux OS. So installing any Linux distro I feel like should be easy for a beginner like me.

amazon shows only 1 linux netbook ( acer -12inch screen), but review says - "It is a herculean task to install Ubuntu or any other modern Linux distro here."
Would booting Linux from a USB be an option? It is fairly easy to set up Ubuntu on a USB and set the USB as your boot up device. This way, you can jus take any machine that has the minimum hardware requirements to run the latest Ubuntu desktop version and boot your OS from it every time. The drawback is that you cannot store files on a permanent basis (though there are options for it).
Old 26th March 2018, 07:25   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Would booting Linux from a USB be an option? It is fairly easy to set up Ubuntu on a USB and set the USB as your boot up device. ...
Thanks! . I can definitely consider option!
Old 26th March 2018, 10:04   #146

As suggested by joe1980 you can get the flavour of Linux using booting from an USB drive. Typically you get boot images of different Linux distros called live CDs/USB (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB). You can switch between different OS by accessing the boot menu while your computer is booting up by using esc,f10,del etc keys ( check which key gives access to your particular model https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=58779). Once you have got a hang of the Linux distros which you would like to use you can go for a dual boot system (https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/itsfo...8-81-uefi/amp/). Another alternative would be to go in for a Chromebook if you are always connected.
Old 26th September 2018, 11:01   #147
BHPian

A Linux Mint 18.1 has run into issues yesterday. It reports that cinnamon has crashed and that it's running on fall back.

Has anyone encountered this? Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? It is running on a physical box.

I haven't worked on that PC yet and shall give any further information, that may be required, later today.
Old 26th September 2018, 19:30   #148
Senior - BHPian

I have encountered similar issues on Ubuntu earlier, my solution was to try creating a new user and verify if the new user can login correctly. If the new user can login properly then it is usually the Desktop profile of the existing user that has got corrupted.

Your mileage may vary but worth checking out. Just don't delete anything initially just rename it and try, like the directory I mentioned above.

One way to fix that was to login to the terminal and rename the hidden ".config" directory in the users home. Then reboot and try logging in normally.
Old 26th September 2018, 20:28   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
A Linux Mint 18.1 has run into issues yesterday. It reports that cinnamon has crashed and that it's running on fall back.

Has anyone encountered this? Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? It is running on a physical box.

I haven't worked on that PC yet and shall give any further information, that may be required, later today.
I remember Cinnamon was crashing due to policykit package dependencies missing in a Devuan (systemd free) desktop. I had to manually install polkit, elogind (systemd-logind for Mint) related packages. Going through ~/.cinnamon/glass.log will give some hint on what is failing. (You can open a terminal and run "cat ~/.cinnamon/glass.log")

I am now using Devuan, a fork of Debian Linux.

https://devuan.org/os/init-freedom/

Liked the old SysV init. Doesn't matter for 99% of desktop users, still liked the old way. "No systemd".
Old 3rd February 2019, 17:43   #150
BHPian

Has anyone here tried "elementary OS" yet? See https://elementary.io/

It's based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with a nice clean and simple UI, my current favourite!

Note it has a "pay what you want" thing, so you can enter zero in the "custom" field and get the download link, if you want to try it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks