Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 05:54   #16
BHPian

I am a recent mover to Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn as well....Overall it seems to be much lighter on the system resources compared with XP...but still use XP sometimes ( have Ubuntu in the dual boot mode)

Video playing is a problem with Linux...So many different formats...VLC Media Player plays most...but since i download so much video stuff from the net..it is a problem sometimes...

Question : are there any good home video editing softwares avl for Linux ? I had tried on XP Adobe Premier Elements 3.0 trial version...Gave up as the laptop hangs inevitable within 2-3 minutes of editing...( even with a 1 G RAM,160 GB HDD, Core 2 duo T5500 CPU ).....have tons of DVDs from my Sony handycam & am desperate to edit them !!!!!
Old 14th August 2007, 08:18   #17
BANNED

CentOS rocks, there is nothing like it. Unlike Fedora/RedHat theyhave excellent support from the enterprise community. Their update program usually picks up all the latest drivers available.

I also recommend using VMware player. All you need is for someone to create a virtual machine using VMware workstation, and it simply works. I have had 2 virtual Linux machines running on my laptop for close to 2 years now. Its really the best software that I have ever used.. no second thought!
For business geeks, VMware IPO is scheduled to happen anytime now.

Linux... because it works!
Old 14th August 2007, 21:33   #18
BANNED

To play video, I use mplayer.
Audio playing is on xmms. (it is a clone of some audio playback s/w on windughs). There are umpteen other applications which will play audio - even emacs, a text editor, has a moe which will playback mp3s for you.
To edit video, you can try
- kino
- openmovieeditor
- pitivi
- mjpeg (acually a library)

For image / picture editing you have gimp, which works on WIndughs too.

I have not used any; and since all are available in .deb (for ubuntu / Debian) and .rpm for centOS, Fedora / RedHat, you should add the correct repositories in your /etc/apt/sources.list file and simply say "sudo apt-get install <programname>". DO NOT try installing .tar.gz files, unless you know what you are doing.
Old 14th August 2007, 21:42   #19
BANNED

Disable auto mounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
At the moment everything is working fine. Thans to synaptics.
Synaptic is a graphic front end to aptitude/ dpkg package management system. Whatever you do with synaptic can be done using "apt-get install|remove <packagename>" command. If something goes wrong, (eg power goes off DURING an install process, try "sudo dpkg -C" or "sudo apt-get -f install". Both commands will tell you what is required to done.

Quote:
but my vcd's are giving trouble. I tried various players. Whenever I insert a cd, the OS will hang for 2 mins.
What happens after these 2 minutes?
I think the 2 minutes are spent on mounting the CD.
Unlike windows, no media is accessible by LInux (the kernel) automaically. It needs to be "mounted". I guess ubuntu is auto-mounting, which is likely to take plentyof time.
I suggest you disable automounting of media, and instead, create an icon for the device (the CD DRIVE) on the desk top, and click on it when you want to access the drive.
On a related note, do not simply pull out floppies and/or USB sticks. You should first "unmount" them before removing them. Else, the changes would not be written.
Also, it will be a good idea to sign up on some linux users' mailing list - like Ilug Delhi, Ilug-goa, FSUG - Mumbai | Chennai | Kolkatta, etc. I suggest ilug-delhi, since it has most number of sensible gurus on the list.
Old 14th August 2007, 21:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ubuntu:Feisty -
should solve all ur ubuntu related issues. Once you've set up Synaptic, there aint nothing to worry about.
Old 14th August 2007, 22:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

@backseatdriver: yes I guess that's the problem. Usually I receive the error. "unable to mount volume or something similar."

@Zenx: thanks for the link. I have been using it but am yet to explore it completely.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

after logging in Nautilus takes a lot of time to load. any solutions?
Old 19th November 2007, 21:59   #23
Team-BHP Support

Guys I am looking at doing an RHCE certification. Could you folks guide me to appropriate books that I should purchase for reference please.

Thanks.
Old 19th November 2007, 22:35   #24
Team-BHP Support

RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide
Check out amazon
Old 19th November 2007, 23:07   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks Tanveer. Will this be a comprehensive guide? I am quite well versed with the OS since I use it on all servers in office just wanted to get a hands on how the exams are. I prefer to stay away from the so called institutes which offer a course in the subject.

How do I enroll myself for an exam?
Old 20th November 2007, 08:39   #26
Team-BHP Support

I have heard its a pretty good one, no first hand experience though.you can probably check reviews at amazon.com itself
`
Old 20th November 2007, 10:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
@backseatdriver: yes I guess that's the problem. Usually I receive the error. "unable to mount volume or something similar."

@Zenx: thanks for the link. I have been using it but am yet to explore it completely.
You don't need to mount VCD for playing in a media player. When it pops up and asks you what to do - open in a new window or something else, just cancel it.

Open your media player and select "PLAY DISC". You have so many options on Linux:

Xine
Mplayer
VLC Media Player
Old 20th December 2008, 19:46   #28
BANNED

Dadu's thread on looking at Safari's ECU ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-ecu-code.html ) had me thinking of ECU software running on Linux for poking into the ECU and I got this :-

MegaTunix

and a howto for Ubuntu:-

ECU Software??? - Ubuntu Forums

And there is the openecu.org site, which has some bits about ecu software on Linux here and there. I am unable to parse anything, so not posting any links here.

And some software is open source, so you can download and modify to suit your requirements.
Old 20th December 2008, 22:12   #29
BHPian

I have the following partitions on my HDD (160GB).

C: Primary partition with WinXP SP2
D: Primary partition with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
E: Extended Logical partition with user data only

For some reason, I had to reinstall XP recently. So I formatted C drive during installation. As expected, I can't log into Ubuntu now (because MBR has been changed right?)

Ubuntu on the disk is intact, I haven't deleted it. So is there any way I can access Ubuntu again without reinstalling?
Old 20th December 2008, 22:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

what is the need of reinstalling.just re-install grub.(I dont have patience to explain everything) briefly:
get any livecd. mount your linux partition .mount your current live distro's /proc directory onto the mounted distro's /proc(not necessary!).
mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc also can do with /sys .
then ,chroot into your linux distro(ubuntu):
1)chroot /mnt /bin/bash
2)source /etc/profile && . ~/.bashrc
3)grub
>root (hd0 ,x) where x is the linux partition
>setup (hd0)
that's it.
if you want ,you can reinstall using grub-install /dev/sdx where x is the linux partition.
for more info ,wait for someone to come

also you can boot from window$ to Linux.
EDIT :to find your linux partition ,use "/sbin/fdisk -l" and identify.good luck!

Last edited by deepclutch : 20th December 2008 at 22:58.

Most Viewed