Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 21:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
^^^^

Most of such "Domain specific" software wont work on anything other then Windows.

For that, either use WINE or VMWare's virtual player that would help you run a Windows instance inside Linux. This software is free.

WINE does not work well with Audit requirements for such packages most of the time.
Thanks for the info. I have installed WINE. Will see how it works when I go on board.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

pedro, sometimes the software might not work because it is not installed properly in windows. You may have to install the application using its windows installer in linux

alternately, google whatever error messages you may get, and if you dont understand what to do, post it here
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Another querry. I just configured the Evolution E-mail client for my Gmail. It has downloaded all the messages. However I get the message "Unable to retrive message" when I try to read in offline mode. Once I've opened it in online mode then it opens in offline mode too. I need the entire contents of the message and not just the title to be downloaded when I connect to the net so I can read them later in offline mode. Any ideas?
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:15   #64
Team-BHP Support

I presume its IMAP serve.
In that case I don't know a workaround, because in case of IMAP, your mail sits in one location(in this case gmail server), and only headers are downloaded.
This is what is happening!

If you can change to a POP server I think it will download all the mails, but make sure you check "Keep mail on server" otherwise the mail sitting in gmail will be deleted, and you will have a copy only on your machine
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In that case I don't know a workaround, because in case of IMAP, your mail sits in one location(in this case gmail server), and only headers are downloaded.
This is what is happening!

If you can change to a POP server I think it will download all the mails, but make sure you check "Keep mail on server" otherwise the mail sitting in gmail will be deleted, and you will have a copy only on your machine
Yes it's IMAP. I earlier set it up for POP but it didn't work so I changed to IMAP. I'm using IMAP for Outlook too and there's no problem.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:10   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With IMAP you can choose to download complete messages (instead of just headers).

Don't know how to do that in Evolution. I will post that once I get my hands on a Ubuntu PC.
Old 13th June 2009, 21:43   #67
BHPian

I'm using Mandriva Linux 2009.0. Is there any application to monitor CPU & motherboard temperatures?

Also, I downloaded and installed PowerMonitor from the AMD website. It was an rpm package. After installation, there is no menu entry and I do not know where to find the installed app. Help!!
Old 13th June 2009, 21:56   #68
BHPian

I am complete n00b at using linux. Just started using ubuntu.
I am having some problem while using internet in lubuntu.

-I am using BSNL dataone. modem is connected in bridge mode to comp.
-I am using pppoe dialer and net connects.
-computer does not take DNS settings automatically.so I made a location and everytime I have to select it. I am using opendns.
-after some time net disconnects automatically.

now I need suggestion for following
-how to make net connection stable? it works withour any problem in XP.
-and how to make computer remember dns adresses automatically.
Old 13th June 2009, 22:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

I think the easier way out would be to use the modem's pppoe dialer
Old 13th June 2009, 22:28   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think the easier way out would be to use the modem's pppoe dialer
I am not using that because I am using scheduled task in windows to dial internet connection automatically during free hours(2AM to 8AM)
Old 13th June 2009, 22:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
I'm using Mandriva Linux 2009.0. Is there any application to monitor CPU & motherboard temperatures?

Also, I downloaded and installed PowerMonitor from the AMD website. It was an rpm package. After installation, there is no menu entry and I do not know where to find the installed app. Help!!
lm-sensors + conky. lm-sensors will give you the temperatures, and use conky to display them on the desktop if you want.
conky - Google Image Search
Old 13th June 2009, 23:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
lm-sensors + conky. lm-sensors will give you the temperatures, and use conky to display them on the desktop if you want.
conky - Google Image Search
It says lua5.1 not found. Suggested that I change PKG_CONFIG_PATH. What do I set this variable to? Checked in the software management and lua5.1 is installed.

Tried gkrellm, another monitoring app, which requires gtk2.0. I have gtk2.0 installed but still it says gtk2.0 not found.
Old 13th June 2009, 23:42   #73
BHPian

Okay, I installed lm-sensors & conky from the repos. But I'm not to able find the menu entry. Where will it be installed to?
Old 14th June 2009, 02:01   #74
Senior - BHPian

@hyper123:If you have configured lm-sensors ,then you can add sensors-applet to Gnome(I assume!) Panel by Righ Click on the panel>Add to Panel>Hardware Sensors Monitor.for this ,Conky is really Needed?I don't think So.
For Kde ,similar applications are available.
How to Configure lm-sensors?
open a terminal ,login as root(su ) ,run -> sensors-detect ,press yes to the relevant options.insert the kernel modules(or restart PC).that's it.

@kunaldhami: I too am using dataone on bridge mode on GNU/Linux for many years.never faced such an issue.which distro are you using?

Configure the bridge mode connection as:
open a terminal and run "sudo pppoeconf" .I hope you have configured similarly?

Last edited by deepclutch : 14th June 2009 at 02:04.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@hyper123:If you have configured lm-sensors ,then you can add sensors-applet to Gnome(I assume!) Panel by Righ Click on the panel>Add to Panel>Hardware Sensors Monitor.for this ,Conky is really Needed?I don't think So.
For Kde ,similar applications are available.
How to Configure lm-sensors?
open a terminal ,login as root(su ) ,run -> sensors-detect ,press yes to the relevant options.insert the kernel modules(or restart PC).that's it.
I configured lm-sensors but I do not have a Gnome desktop(opted not to install it).
I installed 'ktemperature' which reads the values from /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature, which is a non-existent file in my system. :(

gkrell is working fine. However, I doubt the accuracy of temperatures displayed by it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks