Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 22:53   #121
BANNED

Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

So, the problem seems to be that xorg (not the kernel) is using the wrong driver. Please check this page:-

HOW TO: Configuring Xorg for use with Intel i810 and higher video cards - Ubuntu Forums

Please note that depending on the actual versions of Ubuntu (and other packages), things may be slightly different; but Ubuntuforums are a great place for dealing with ubuntu specific issues.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:46   #122
Senior - BHPian

This thread is long dead, but I am posting on it since I need an explanation about an issue I am facing on our servers. Our servers have Linux. Due to security policy I cannot disclose the exact version or details.

The problem is that certain running processes start occupying huge disk space on the partitions. So much so, that within a few hours the partitions become 100% full. Obviously the quick fix is killing the process, and disk usage becomes normal again. But that's not the real solution to the problem. Killing a process is not a good/feasible option here as there are many client(s) connected to the machine. Apparently this is a known issue and as such there are plenty of resources out there which tell you what to do for such situations, but none of them seem to have any good explanation on this issue.

What I need is a good explanation (technical, or non technical or both(best)) that will explain why and how the running processes occupy so much disk space so quickly. Does anyone know some good blogs or links out there? Or can anyone explain here what's happening on the server?
Old 30th October 2013, 15:56   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Does anyone know some good blogs or links out there? Or can anyone explain here what's happening on the server?
May be the process is writing out logs (I have seen such process) and that gets filled up or it could be the temp files for processing.

Ideally, a clearly designed process or application should clear the temp files/logs keeping in mind those issues but looks like this is not or its a bug.

Which directory occupies more space and what are the files that are being written?

Last edited by nfsfreak : 30th October 2013 at 15:59.
Old 30th October 2013, 17:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
but looks like this is not or its a bug.
Yes, it looks like a bug. And a memory leak bug it seems in the application. We are checking that in the application

Actually situation is like this -
partition size = 10GB
# folders in partition = 2
Folder 1 > size = 2.5 GB
Folder 2 > size = less than 1MB.

So we were wondering where did the 7.5 GB go? Moving the logs yielded no results. No sooner than we moved the logs, df -h command showed the partition to be full in an instant.

Then; when we shut down and re-started the application tomcat server, the whole 7.5 GB space that was 'missing' got released and instantly df -h showed the partition utilization as only ~25%.

We never saw any particular folder or file that was occupying the whole 7.5GB space.

So the immediate question was how could a running process in memory hog the whole partition?

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 30th October 2013 at 17:20.
Old 11th October 2014, 13:16   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Yes, it looks like a bug. And a memory leak bug it seems in the application. We are checking that in the application

Actually situation is like this -
partition size = 10GB
# folders in partition = 2
Folder 1 > size = 2.5 GB
Folder 2 > size = less than 1MB.

So we were wondering where did the 7.5 GB go? Moving the logs yielded no results. No sooner than we moved the logs, df -h command showed the partition to be full in an instant.

Then; when we shut down and re-started the application tomcat server, the whole 7.5 GB space that was 'missing' got released and instantly df -h showed the partition utilization as only ~25%.

We never saw any particular folder or file that was occupying the whole 7.5GB space.

So the immediate question was how could a running process in memory hog the whole partition?
Yup. I know its an year old post and I'm pretty sure you have resolved this issue, but just out of curiousity, let me ask - Was it the /proc filesystem?

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 11th October 2014 at 13:19.
Old 11th October 2014, 14:26   #126
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using Ubuntu with Gnome or "Ubuntu Gnome edition". I installed on a Samsung laptop and turns out "Ubuntu Gnome edition" lacks refineness and buggy(random crashes). Since Unity, Gnome packaging is delayed/slow in Ubuntu.
Old 11th October 2014, 17:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Anyone using Ubuntu with Gnome or "Ubuntu Gnome edition". I installed on a Samsung laptop and turns out "Ubuntu Gnome edition" lacks refineness and buggy(random crashes). Since Unity, Gnome packaging is delayed/slow in Ubuntu.
By Gnome I'm assuming the traditional Gnome. I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Gnome Flashback. Works decently. Has a few issues like Alt-Tab not working out-of-the-box. There are fixes though.

Install Gnome Classic Desktop in Ubuntu 14.04

[SOLVED] ALT-TAB not working in gnome classic?
Old 13th January 2016, 21:24   #128
BHPian

Re: My Desktop Linux Setup ! (Jan 2016)

I just switched to Ubuntu Linux 15.10 from Windows 7. I am using the MATE desktop environment on Ubuntu MATE. It works fine for the most part but there are a few crashes here and there. Does any one have any idea what is intel-microcode and how does it work ? The link to my thread is -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...an-2016-a.html

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 13th January 2016 at 21:41. Reason: Created a new thread for long post
Old 14th January 2016, 09:44   #129
BANNED

I am wondering about the Mint v Ubuntu issue. One thing I am liking is that Mint updates once in six months and not all the time as does Ubuntu. One can always argue that any fix ought to be released and installed immediately, but by and large Linux is a stable platform so I will prefer the six monthly approach.
Old 14th January 2016, 09:46   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am wondering about the Mint v Ubuntu issue. One thing I am liking is that Mint updates once in six months and not all the time as does Ubuntu. One can always argue that any fix ought to be released and installed immediately, but by and large Linux is a stable platform so I will prefer the six monthly approach.
Have you tried Ubuntu LTS?
Old 14th January 2016, 11:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Anyone boarded OpenSuse recently?
How does it compare with Ubuntu (and derivatives) in terms of working well straight away.
Old 15th January 2016, 09:49   #132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Have you tried Ubuntu LTS?
I was running dual boot on my Asus laptop, as was using it most of the time. then a version of Unbutu (I think 10) came which was a disaster. I ended up removing Linux from my lappy. Recently, I was advised on the Win10 thread to use Mint to re-partition and clean up my Lenovo Flex14. I ended up using it quite a bit (from a USB Pen) as almost immediately I had to get my new HDD going (the old one failed). So I am thinking of Linux again. I have about 50GB idle and unassigned on the lappy.
Old 15th January 2016, 15:05   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am thinking of Linux again.
If you are going to install Linux alongside Windows 10 please be advised Windows 10 does not behave properly if another OS tries to access the bootloader. Problem is that GRUB/Syslinux bootloader of Linux used to replace the BIOS or UEFI and help boot Windows or Linux in the old days. Now Windows 10 is UEFI only and prohibits any other OS that tries to replace the bootloader as a "security feature". Point is you will have to really go through a lot of hoops to get a dual boot working if Windows was installed first (not to mention that half the partition would be NTFS and 50 GB for Linux would be EXT4) but it is possible as written here http://askubuntu.com/questions/66663...fi-hp-notebook
There is also another option and that is to use Virtual Box to install your copy Linux.

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 15th January 2016 at 15:14.
Old 15th January 2016, 15:13   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Anyone boarded OpenSuse recently?
How does it compare with Ubuntu (and derivatives) in terms of working well straight away.
OpenSUSE is to SUSE enterprise Linux what Fedora is to RedHat Linux. It is basically an opensource version of their enterprise product. You have Yast as the package manager and the desktop environment in openSUSE is KDE. I would say that it works well but since I do not like KDE and the bloatware of apps like Amarok, KWallet, KMail etc that it provides, I do not prefer openSUSE. For me, I chose Linux for control and Debian based distro has better control and stability. Obviously, for new users Ubuntu and Mint are regarded as best as they have everything that a new home user would want. Also, I find apt-get better than any other package control utility in Linux except PacMan of Arch Linux.

Mods please merge this post with my earlier post a few minutes ago. Forgot to multiquote. Apologies.

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 15th January 2016 at 15:16.
Old 15th January 2016, 16:37   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
http://askubuntu.com/questions/66663...fi-hp-notebook
There is also another option and that is to use Virtual Box to install your copy Linux.
Thanks for the caution, and saving me from a potential disaster. I have seen and downloaded the article. I am not too keen to reinstall Win10 having gone through the whole mess only about three weeks ago, when by HDD had failed. So I will wait until I have my next lappy which will be set up to dual boot from scratch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks