Team-BHP - Team-BHP Linux support thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Team-BHP Linux support thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/26895-team-bhp-linux-support-thread.html)

I have been using Linux for some time now on my laptop. First it was redhat and then xandros.
I have never had issues with them on my laptop.

But today I installed UBUNTU 7.04 and couldnt get internet to work.

My desktop doesnt have ethernet support and had been running internet on USB.

I know how difficult it is to get internet to work via USB but I still want to give it a try.

many users here have used UBUNTU. Please help.

OS- UBUNTU 7.04
Modem- HUAWEI WA1003A
Internet connection- Dataone DSL

PS: It works on my laptop with ethernet but I want it to work via USB on m Desktop.

Thanks

A linux user!!!! hi!!! :Cheering:

I do not use ubuntu, but use Debian Sid on which ubuntu is based, but that is a bit like saying "Maruti Swift is based on SX4, so you can interchange the boot doors". So, there may be slight differences in your case.

Looks like usbnet and / or cdc_ether kernel modules are not being loaded.
Please try the following commands from the command line (terminal)

Make sure that the usb system is working on the machine where the usb modem is not working, by issuing this command:-
"lsmod |grep -i usb"
If USB is working, you ought to get something like:-
"usbcore 125064 2 uhci_hcd"

Next, on the machine where the usb modem is WORKING:-
"lsmod |grep -i cdc"
and compare the output on the machine where it is not working.

My guess that you find that usbnet and cdc_ether modules are not listed on the machine where the usb modem is not working.

You should next issue the command "modprobe usbnet" and root / superuser to insert the kernel.

Your modem will now be detected. Once the "modprobe" command has successfully exited, issue the command "dmesg" to find out the device name assigned to your modem. Use that as the device to configure your network.

Remember that at no stage you need to reboo any our of your machines - simply issue the command "/etc/init.d/networking restart" to get the network restarted.

Please get back in case of difficulty.

I tried that. The terminal doesnt accept the code. :(

Just for some more information. The usb on the modem doesnt light up when I start the desktop but if I re-plug the USB it lights up. Nothing happens though.

Huh? what do you mean by "not accept the code"? That is no code - it is simply a command, which tells you to do something.
lsmod, modprobe, dmesg are very basic commands, which are installed by default on any computer.
"|" means a pipe; in common english, "|" means filter the output of command on left through the command on the right (of the "|"). "-i" for the "grep" command means "search for case insensitive words.
dmesg command shows log of the kernel's activity.

what I meant was. when I input the code in the terminal. There was no reaction. nothing happened.

winmodems [i.e. software modems under windows] are usually quite difficult to use with Linux.

Best option for Linux internet is to get a hardware modem [USB] or connect to internet via Ethernet port.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84 (Post 515386)
what I meant was. when I input the code in the terminal. There was no reaction. nothing happened.

That is strange. What terminal programme are you using? Open something gnome terminal or multi gnome terminal.
You can also try "ctrl + alt + F!" to get the console; and use "ctl + alt + F7 to get back to the graphic user interface (X).

@BackseatDriver: I am using the Gnome terminal. And yes its strange that I didnt get anything. what else can you suggest?

@Sbasak: I will probably get an ethernet installed. Seems to be the best way out. heheh.

Strange. ok; then just post the output of "lsmod"

Also, why dont you subscribe the Ilug delhi mailing list?
Send a blank mail with the subject "subscribe" to mailto:ilugd-request@lists.linux-delhi.org?subject=subscribe
and while posting, send mail to mailto:ilugd@lists.linux-delhi.org
It wil be easier, and you should get support from more and more knowledgeable peope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak (Post 515423)
winmodems [i.e. software modems under windows] are usually quite difficult to use with Linux.

Best option for Linux internet is to get a hardware modem [USB] or connect to internet via Ethernet port.

sbabsak, thanks, you comment is what made my thinktanks attack. lol: I have finally done it. I played smart. Ditched USB and found the ethernet which was underneath my monitor cable. A wierd place to find one. Had to tweak a bit but now its working.

@backseatdriver: thanks very much for your support. It was helpful. next in line are the latest mozilla drivers with Flash player support, and HP printer installation.

Update: got my flash player working on Mozilla
Got acrobat reader working
Got Creative zen music manager working
Got HP laserjet printer working
Got mp3 and DVD formats working.
Helix is in line.

Some suggestions:-

"sudo apt-get install <program>" will install the required program.
You do not require acrobat to read pdf - you can use xpdf.

Ubuntu uses gnome, and I use KDE here, but you can try k3b - look up https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto

but is the xpdf pre-installed? I dont think so.

Yes, even I am not sure what is installed by default in Ubuntu - but I guess it ought to be there. At least "apt-cache search pdf' will tell you.

At the moment everything is working fine. Thans to synaptics.

but my vcd's are giving trouble. I tried various players. Whenever I insert a cd, the OS will hang for 2 mins.

what is the solution to this?