Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2007, 19:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help formating laptop HDD

Hi,

I am gonna format my laptop HDD after 2 years now as my laptop has become damn slow. Its 40 GB and NTFS. Only 7 GB space is left on it and i am gonna copy all the stuff to my other HDD.

Now the problem is i was thinking of partitioning it. 1 partition 10 GB and other 27 GB. So that next time i can format the 10 GB and install windows again.

But i read that NTFS file system does not work good with partitions and system will tend to become slow.

So should i partition the HDD and go with NTFS or FAT32. Anyone here partitioned their laptop HDD and using NTFS ?

Thanks.
Old 5th August 2007, 19:35   #2
BHPian

I have 3 laptops here and all are NTFS formatted. No problems with any one of them.
Old 5th August 2007, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Anyone here partitioned their laptop HDD and using NTFS ?
Mine crashed over the weekend and I had to reformat the OS partition using NTFS. It used to be FAT32 earlier - I still cant comment on performance, though.
Old 5th August 2007, 20:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend having just one partition instead of 2 or 3.
Old 5th August 2007, 20:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have been using NTFS for past4 years on my desktop as well as laptop...there are no problems. go ahead and do it. partition 1 10 Gb, is good idea, I do the same for all my computers, it's easy to reformat if there is any problem.
Old 6th August 2007, 08:27   #6
BHPian

what operating system would u be installing on ur laptop. if u are installing linux, then fat is the recommended format. if windows then ntfs it is. if u are thinking of installing both linux and windows, then u should leave the required unpartioned space for linux and the rest should be ntfs for windows.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

10 GB of NTFS for OS is an good idea. If you intend to install Linux as well then do have a FAT partition as well, it can be accessed from both the OS.
By the way, I would suggest 5 GB for OS instead of 10, thats wat I do on my Desktop and Laptop.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:50   #8
BHPian

Use a program called Acronis Disk Director Suite, or Acronis Partition Manager.
Old 6th August 2007, 13:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

There is no such known problems with NTFS and partitioned discs AFAIK. I have two laptops with NTFS and both have partitions. In fact it is a good idea to have a small partition of around 10gb for your OS and other installations. You should not use it for any data storage. This way you keep the softwares and the data on your machines cleanly segregated. Tomorrow even if your OS crashes you will not loose any data.
Old 6th August 2007, 13:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead with NTFS partition, it doesn't result in any performance related issues. Both my laptops are using the NTFS format for last 2 years.
Old 6th August 2007, 13:54   #11
BANNED

Man format it and install the OS probably u r using XP so NTFS then use Partition Magic to create partation as per your choice very good S/W and any time you can change the size of partition as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks