Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2007, 18:35   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressive_anush View Post
I am using a PS3 which i got from the US.
No transformer required.
Jassi,
Not sure if you still need the step-down transformer. If you do, you can either:
1. Buy it from a shop called Devendra Electronics in Jayanagar. Its on one of the sidelanes opposite Blue-Bell sweets. I bought a 1000VA one for 1350 rs approx 3 years back.
2. Get it from SP road for much cheaper price.

Name of the brand I use is Raksha, and it came with a 6 months warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
isnt the US ps3 is NTSC and the indian one PAL format?
wouldnt finding games be difficult then??
I context of a gamebox, I would hazard a guess that NTSC/PAL would only affect rendering rate. With 1080p support for HDMI/DVI on both the gamebox and the panel, using a box built for US market in india shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 20th August 2007, 18:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

I read with PS3 Sony has removed the restriction on region formats.
Old 20th August 2007, 20:00   #18
BHPian

Hey guys, ps3 games are region free - which is why i bought it in the first place. Now as far as the power supply unit goes it is built in to the system and all they give is a standard pc power cable to connect to wall outlet.
I sent an email to sony US, but they gave a generic response, as they don't wanna officially encourage importers (499 to 599usd in US vs old model PS3 for 35,000INR in India)

"Hello Jatin,

Thank you for writing us.

The North American PLAYSTATION 3 system only supports a power supply of 120V AC, 60 Hz.

In addition, we would not recommend traveling with your North American PLAYSTATION 3 system outside of North America. Due to a difference in international television and voltage standards, North American PLAYSTATION 3 systems may not be compatible for use outside of North America.

We do not have any information on adapters or converters made to override territorial restrictions.
The various PlayStation(R) consoles and format software titles are only designed to run in their respective regions and countries. We apologize for any inconvenience.

---------the above response was to my original query below-------------

Hi,
This refers to my email case number:4796553.
I understand the territorial system set by Sony. However I'm moving for a short project for a few months to India and am also shipping my US sony sxrd lcd to India along with the ps3.
I do not intend to buy games/software outside of US or connect my PS3 to any tv other than my US purchased sony sxrd lcd. This takes care of the incompatible tv standards, etc.
All I want to know is, if my PS3 has a built in universal power supply which takes all voltages
(110/220volts) similar to my sony sxrd lcd. I also have universal voltage input on my sony 5.1 sound system and I believe a similar universal power feature should exist on the PS3 too. If that is not the case can I pay sony india to replace the ps3 power supply with a 230v50hz power supply unit.
Alternatively I could use a voltage step down transformer which converts 220volts to 110volts.
Please advise.
Cheers,
Jatin"

The above response scared me even more

PS - note the cleverly crafted email query w me moving to india n all :-)

Last edited by jassi : 20th August 2007 at 20:01.
Old 20th August 2007, 23:59   #19
Team-BHP Support

jassi just get the right wattage step down, this is no tuner special and very common adaptation that one need to do for local condition. head out to ezone they should have a reputed brand for sale, though a lil expensive.

and please dont plug in the power supply marked as 110 or 120 volts on to 240volts, you will blow up the power supply or the equipment itself, people can advice but follow common sense, afterall you paid for the markings on the power supply also

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2007 at 00:03.
Old 21st August 2007, 00:36   #20
BHPian

Check your Power Supply on the PS3...it will would written as 110 - 240...if yes then no problem...been using my PS2 for last 2 years with no problem.
Old 21st August 2007, 00:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I read with PS3 Sony has removed the restriction on region formats.
PS3 is region free only for ps3 games..!

Ps2 games are still region locked on the ps3, finding ps2 games in ntsc/j or ntsc/uc is almost impossible, if one's trying to source within the country

Also ps2 games like gt4 still don't have support for logitech momo on the ps3.

Anyone got any info on places selling original ps2 in ntsc/j format...im desperately searching for GT4, for the last 3 months....

PS3's racing games so far suck(ridge racer/ F1) and really expensive at 2900rs each, except GT:HD demo...but u have only one track to play..
Old 21st August 2007, 02:41   #22
BHPian

Also ps2 games like gt4 still don't have support for logitech momo on the ps3.

Anyone got any info on places selling original ps2 in ntsc/j format...im desperately searching for GT4, for the last 3 months....

goto glasgow computers below planet m brigade road....or you can download them
Old 21st August 2007, 23:31   #23
BHPian

@Chetan,
Thanks....but i ve visited him sometime back, he seems to be selling pirate versions only. Will check again though.
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:16   #24
BANNED

are these modded ps3s u ppl have, if not has the modding started yet or not. i want one too.
Old 30th September 2008, 23:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to dig up this old thread. Sometimes I feel TBhpians are more responsive and helpful than some of the tech forums (techie egos). I am getting a AVR Receiver (audio video amp) from US rated at 350 Watts at 120 Volts. I need a Step Down transformer as well for 500 watts range. How much should it cost me and where can I get one in Delhi. Any Delhi guys that can bail me out.... Thanks in advance.
Old 7th October 2008, 02:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Hey I got the PS3 on my trip to US. Its the new 80gb one with the motorstorm game included in the package for 599usd.
I just got back today but still thinking if I should connect the ps3 or not - cos it says 120V 3.2A 60Hz on the back, which means it'll blow up if I connect it to our 230V supply.
Can anyone confirm if the ps3 80gb has a built-in universal power supply. I have seen reports of people in UK buying the US 60gb version and crackin it open to discover it has a built-in universal power supply unit (unlike whats stated outside), but these are all nov-dec 2006, nothing recent or with the new 80gb package.

Also apart from being 60gb models, all the PS3s confirmed to take all voltages are made in japan and sold in US. The back of the PS3 I got in US, says made in china (not japan) and to cut down on costs chinese may have put in a single voltage PSU.

Also if I need to get a step down voltage device, it has to be transformer which gives out pure sine waves and not converter which simply cuts down the waveform. Transformers are recommended for electronic devices and converters for electric devices like hair dryers and heaters. Also a transformer/converter will not change the freq from our 50hz to US reqd. 60Hz - what would be the effects of this on the PS3 even though voltage is stepped down to 120V. Where can i get a reliable step down transformer in bangalore.

Any inputs would be nice

After reading a lot of forums and carefully watching a lot of videos on You Tube I figured you really do not need a converter to use your import PS3 in India. I dared to plug in my unit without a converter on the first day I bought it to India and it works like a charm. No heating. No burning. No issues. I think the sticker with the Voltage and output description is a gimmick to trick people not importing PS3's into India from the US.
Old 7th October 2008, 05:11   #27
Team-BHP Support

year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I dared to plug in my unit without a converter on the first day I bought it to India and it works like a charm. No heating. No burning. No issues. I think the sticker with the Voltage and output description is a gimmick to trick people not importing PS3's into India from the US.
How long have you been using it this way? If it says 110V or 120V it means it's meant for that voltage, else it would say 110-220V (or 90-240V, or similar).

Be careful as you may just end up with a blown adapter, or worst case - a rather large paper weight.

Maybe, they've used the same autotransformers but have labelled the adapters for 110 - but this will be highly unlikely.

ps. jassi started this thread over a year ago. Wonder if his gaming station is still running.
Old 7th October 2008, 08:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
How long have you been using it this way? If it says 110V or 120V it means it's meant for that voltage, else it would say 110-220V (or 90-240V, or similar).

Be careful as you may just end up with a blown adapter, or worst case - a rather large paper weight.

Maybe, they've used the same autotransformers but have labelled the adapters for 110 - but this will be highly unlikely.

ps. jassi started this thread over a year ago. Wonder if his gaming station is still running.
my US 80gb PS3 is still running, infact it got stolen in between and now i have got it back (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...recovered.html) and it is still running. I did purchase an indian 40gb also in the interim stolen period. I had researched a lot and the power supply inside is universal (theres plenty of videos out there which show that once you open up the PS3). If it had to blow up, it will when you plug it in not any later. Its economical for any global manufacturer to make one universal power supply rather than one for each country/region they sell in

Last edited by jassi : 7th October 2008 at 08:50.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Iv been using my Canadian PS3 in India with no problems.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:44   #30
JRD
BHPian

hi jassi.

I have been using a Ps3 US version since the day it came out. You will definitely need a voltage converter to make it run perfectly. other wise it will work for 15 mins and then shut down.

just take the details of the electrical, voltage hertz etc to an electrical shop and they will give you or order one for you. I got ripped off paid Rs 1500 for mine. usually its around 700 to 800 bucks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks