Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 19:08   #1
BHPian

SOS: LG Slimline or a normal fat 29"?

Guys..am terribly confused. My situation is thus: shifted into a new house where the landlord has put a wooden corner attached to the corner in the living room (makes sense?). Ok so there is a space constraint to put a 29" TV.

I looked at LG slimline with XDP and some other gimmicks - price at Adishvars was reasonable at 15,300/-. My problems multiplied today when I went to the dealer to buy the TV. He showed me the clarity between a slim (both samsung and LG) and then a normal 29" (Onida and LG) (after having convinced me yesterday to go for the LG slimline). The clarity seemed better on the normal fat one. Onida was quite nice with a black panel and woofers and for the same price as well.

I told the guy bring the Onida to my place. If it fits well and good, if not then i go for the slim LG.

Is this just my imagination or is it true that slim TVs are not as good as the good old fat ones? Or could it just be some settings which the dealer was not fiddling with in a bid to sell me the Onida?
Bottomline - Would it be a serious folly to go in for the slim LG?
Old 27th August 2007, 20:03   #2
BHPian

If your eyes are showing you a difference in picture quality, will a differing opinion really change that? When it comes to music or visuals, trust your own ears and eyes respectively. That's what matters in the end!
Old 27th August 2007, 20:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

The clarity would also depend a lot on the quality of the source from which th e TV is fed. Make sure your dealer is not playing around to push a particular brand / tv
Old 27th August 2007, 20:21   #4
BHPian

what i noticed was that both the slim samsung and LG had this smudginess in the image. Whearas the normal size LG and Onida did not have that.
Old 27th August 2007, 21:03   #5
BHPian

Generally these guys have 2 connections.
One from the cable guy, n the other from satellite dish.

So insist that the source of the signals is same.
Make him remove the cable from one tv (fat) and put it on the other slim version and then check.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
what i noticed was that both the slim samsung and LG had this smudginess in the image. Whearas the normal size LG and Onida did not have that.
Get the remote from him and have a play. It is not very hard to set a tv to display a soft (smudged) image whilst setting the other set to display a sharp image.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Get the remote from him and have a play. It is not very hard to set a tv to display a soft (smudged) image whilst setting the other set to display a sharp image.
What he did do was make the levels for brightness, sharpness and contrast same for the normal fat TV and the slim TV. Even then the difference was there.

So is this the sharpness that I would need to adjust? The other thing that I didn't check properly was the XDP on effect in LG. Apparently this technology makes the image better in some way.

Last edited by MC Mayank : 28th August 2007 at 12:53.
Old 28th August 2007, 19:43   #8
BHPian

Well I visited 3 other dealers to compare the clarity. Clarity is definitely an issue in this slim line of CRT TVs both Samsung and LG. I have decided to go in for a normal 29" LG (ain't all that fat).
Old 29th August 2007, 19:09   #9
BHPian

Wel What you are saying is correct..Even i have noticed that colours are not that great on LCD compared to Crt..I had same problem when i bought LCD for my new PC...Since am a webdesigner i have to be very careful with colors..so I had to sell of my LCD to get Crt....
Now if you fine with that smudgeness go for it but if not dont go for Onida...Only go for Sony Wega...
Old 4th January 2008, 00:12   #10
BHPian

Guys I have to buy a 29 CRT TV,which company and model should I go for although i prefer the sony due to its trintron tube.
Old 4th January 2008, 03:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Guys I have to buy a 29 CRT TV,which company and model should I go for although i prefer the sony due to its trintron tube.
Panasonic if they are available. Avoid the generic rubbish made by Sansui, Videocon etc.

Sony are good as well. Sony India : CRT TV for the current CRT range.

Did anyone ever release a widescreen CRT in India ? Every CRT I have seen in India is a 4:3 set.

You could use Compare India to check prices.

Last edited by bigman : 4th January 2008 at 03:10.
Old 4th January 2008, 08:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Saw a 29" LG 100Hz set recently. Price 30K, but available for 20K under exchange with any 21" and above TV. Should be a good buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks