Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 14:47   #46
BHPian

These new touch screen ipods are based on the same concept as the ifone.
Old 2nd October 2007, 15:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolader View Post
These new touch screen ipods are based on the same concept as the ifone.
its the iphone without the phone.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

New iPod classic 160 review

Like I mentioned earlier, I was truly over the moon with joy.

It's a nice dull silver, very elegant and the back is chrome. It doesn't look too different from the regular iPod 30GB that I had.
It is a wee bit thicker and a bit heavier, but considering that it is 160GB, I don't care!

The screen quality is outstanding! The software makes the album art look truly beautiful. Ifthere ever was a time to include album art in your ID3 tagging, the time is now.

Some new software features that include searching for a song/artist. The look and feel is incredible.

Sound quality, still the same. Headphones supplied, still the same and truly terrible. Thankfully I have my JBLs. No CD no software. My iTunes had to be upgraded to connect the iPod. That was a good 50MB download.
Later when I connected the iPod, some iPod update had to be downloaded. Another 50MB.
After that it was smooth sailing.

I love it! 160GB of music is navin's dreams come true. Now I will have to update it a couple of times in a year. I don't intend to install movies on it, how can one watch movies on such a small screen man?
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:18   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
In other news today, the Yeti® bought an iPod classic 160GB today, in Bangalore.
He paid Rs. 14000/- for it and is over the moon with happiness. It is silver in colour and a bit thicker and heavier than his previous 30gB iPod video.
He has registered it online and now it is under worldwide warranty.
Hi Sam, congratulations! Do you mind sharing the vendor name/location? e-zone in Bangalore advertises that they sell this for the "best" price and guess what, it is priced 18,999

For another Rs.99, they will provide a charger and some other worthless accessory!
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:04   #50
BHPian

Yes Sam. Coverflow is really amazing.

Care to let us know the secret to the 14k price? I got mine for 19k and Everywhere I go least, I havent heard of anything less than 18k.
That is still a 4k of hard earned money more than what ya paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Ahoy SS... any update yaar i am getting one from US. Just told my sister to buy the 160 GB one and when she comes early next year i can get my hands on the 160GB. So should i get it or its another POD of crap.

Also she is thinking of buying the ipodtouch is it good ? Any reviews ?
No idea about iPod touch. never seen it in front of my eyes.

Yes, you can tell your Sis to pick it up sometime near Christmas for discounts. And yes, get some good earphones also.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 3rd October 2007 at 12:06.
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:33   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Ummm... I was charged 14K and it was delivered to my home with a smile in 20 minutes. I'm now beginning to suspect it was a favour.
Please let me make a few phone call and get back to you.

Edit: The correct price is 16500/- in the grey market. I am sorry for that misinformation.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd October 2007 at 18:36.
Old 4th October 2007, 01:21   #52
BHPian

So 16.5k grey market. And you still registered it for a worldwide Apple Warranty?
Old 4th October 2007, 02:14   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes of course .
Old 4th October 2007, 09:11   #54
BHPian

Grey market is going great guns!! Now grey stuff with warranty!! What seperates the greys from the whites in that case?
Old 4th October 2007, 09:56   #55
BHPian

Then please make me understand how this system works. A grey product getting warranty?
Old 4th October 2007, 10:25   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Allow me to explain this.

All apple products, regardless of registration come with a worlwide warranty. Yes, even unregistered ones.

However an unregistered product has an approximate date of purchase depending on apple's date of shipping (this may vary by a month, depending on how long your dealer has held on to the iPod you have purchased) and you will obviously have an issue if you resort to legal.

Registration is a simple and painless process and you do not have to declare place of purchase OR an invoice number.
Remember, all serial numbers are unique and just by quoting your serial number, Apple knows your product, capacity and colour. (all apple products, computers and handheld MP3 players)

In effect, if you buy with B&W or in cash from grey, your warranty claim process is identical. Connect your Ipod to iTunes for the first time and iTunes will ask you to register. Do so.

Warranty claim: Regardless of whether you have registered with Apple or not, when your iPod fails, call 1800-4250744 (MTNL & BSNL only) and clearly quote your serial number, they will know precisely what you have.
Tell them your problem. They will generate a ticket number, after a little while (while you wait) and give you the address of the nearest Apple service centre to you.

Take your iPod and that ticket number there. You will have to leave your iPod there. In case of minor and software repair, you should get it in 4 days or so. In case of a major repair, you will get a replacement quite easily. Even if your iPod is 10 months old.

Out of warranty: You can still call the same number to take the address of the iPod repair centre. Be warned that they charge 500 bucks EVEN if they cannot repair your iPod. In case they can repair it, be prepared for a hefty bill, often unjustifiable, considering the cost of the iPod. Also that there are independent operators, cannibalising old iPods for switches, hard drives etc and doing a swell job of repairing iPods for a lot less.

I hope this will be a useful post for everyone.
Old 4th October 2007, 12:33   #57
BHPian

It sure was dear.
Hope I had this before sending my iPod back. Its been 2 weeks since its gone. Dealer has NO idea where it is or how much it will take.
Neither do I have.

Thanks a Ton.

P.S.>> Buying from grey then means:- Cheaper price. Warranty is still intact. Hmmmmm........
Old 10th October 2007, 15:36   #58
BHPian

Would someone plz throw some light on the prices of IPod 80gb classic!
Old 12th October 2007, 11:40   #59
Team-BHP Support

Bought an 80 GB classic yesterday - interesting study on prices

Apple singapore website - S$430
Changi duty free - S$400
Sim Lim Square - S$386 less tax back at the airport = S$ 365

They try getting you to buy a cas for S$ 30 - silicone skin - plenty availalble in the ground floor stalls for less. Wanted a crystal case but they are not out yet

Methinks - the Yeti got the best price
Old 12th October 2007, 12:18   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yeti got the best price
Ajmat, I guess in US, you will get the same price as Sam. You could ask one of your friends to bring it for you. 80GB costs $249 and 160GB costs $349. They carve any phrase chosen by you (exclusive of special chars) on the iPod for FREE if your friend places an online order with Apple iStore.

BTW, I saw the new iPod nano which my friend had bought in US, man, that size and thickness (wafer thin, truly) rocks!
One of the products where small size rocks

Last edited by pmbabu : 12th October 2007 at 12:19.

Most Viewed