Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2007, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Wireless router from the US

Gentlemen, at the outset let me state that I don't know much about telecom. So kindly adjust.

Basic equation is that I want a wireless router at my place. I have an Airtel 2 mbps connection with a beetel 220BX1 (ADSL2 + modem is what it says on the modem) which the airtel blokes gave me.

Question is whether I can get a router from the US that would work here. If yes, then could someone pls advice on the:
1. Brand
2. Config
3. Online shops wth good deals

Thanks...
Old 15th September 2007, 18:56   #2
BHPian

i have a netgear54mbps internal wireless router which i got from US 2 years back -- did not use it as yet since the broadband speeds here were pathetic. However I did install it last year to check whether it worked with my Tata Indicom(sic) connection
Old 15th September 2007, 19:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

I use a linksys. No need to go to the US.

Pick a router up. Call airtel and they will configure in minutes
Old 15th September 2007, 19:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi MC Mayank,

IMHO, buy it from Bangalore from someone like Computer Warehouse Online - Product Catalogue located at the Barton Centre on MG Road. I bought the Netgear router for Rs. 2,050 and it has been working fine for 6 months now. It supposedly has a 1 year warranty too. Setup was a doddle DIY. Believe Airtel will setup but charges some amount. By the way, they themselves offer wireless so if you want a totally hassle-free experience, upgrade to the wireless package and let them supply the router.

If you buy from the US, you'll have the usual problem with the voltage and also the lack of free warranty/support etc.

Thanks,

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th September 2007 at 19:10. Reason: Typo
Old 15th September 2007, 19:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree, this is what you need to check and decide. US voltage is 110 here its 240, plus I dont think you'll be able to avail that warranty here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If you buy from the US, you'll have the usual problem with the voltage and also the lack of free warranty/support etc.

Thanks,
Old 15th September 2007, 19:20   #6
BHPian

I was seeing if I could have a solution in like 1500/- or something .. VId just sent me a link for netgear on amazon for $40..but your comments on voltage and warranty support makes me rethink
Old 15th September 2007, 19:24   #7
BHPian

My 2 cents:

Get a Buffalo WHR-54GS or the HP one. The 54GS is available for 2200/- in most towns. This is currently being tested by me and the stock router covers 3 RCC floors when placed well. With the open source firmware, I suppose I could WiFi a large complex :-)

Don't go to the US for such small things. Get your money well invested in a iPhone if anything
Old 15th September 2007, 19:28   #8
BHPian

No no.. one of my office fellows is returning in a couple of weeks so was exploring if I could get it for dirt cheap there or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
My 2 cents:

Get a Buffalo WHR-54GS or the HP one. The 54GS is available for 2200/- in most towns. This is currently being tested by me and the stock router covers 3 RCC floors when placed well. With the open source firmware, I suppose I could WiFi a large complex :-)

Don't go to the US for such small things. Get your money well invested in a iPhone if anything
Old 15th September 2007, 19:30   #9
BHPian

dirt cheap is okay but what will you do if something goes kaput? getting it from here atleast leaves you with the option of availing the warranty!
Old 15th September 2007, 19:37   #10
BHPian

I use NetGear DG834G! Been about 6 months since I got it.. Working fine with Airtel! I got it for around 4000, ±500.

The Airtel WLan Router was so dumb plus they were charging 8k ±500 for it. NetGear was a better solution for me.

Cheaper NetGear wireless routers are available, but this is the only wireless + ADSL router I could get here. Normal wireless router doesn't work.

cya
A
Old 15th September 2007, 20:12   #11
BANNED

Have been using D-link in my home and office since about 3 years. At that time I got it from US as it was 4K there and 13K here. Now the difference is not worth it.

Why not consider a BSNL connection with their wireless router. Its about 1.8K.
Old 15th September 2007, 21:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Netgear for the last 18 months here in the US and propose to bring it with me back home to India when I return next year. I have a couple of my friends who have routers from the US which are working perfectly fine. As regards the voltage, you can do good by using a converter in India. That is what I propose to do too.
Old 15th September 2007, 21:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Mayank,

If its basic wireless connectivity, get the standard D-Link wireless router thats available for abt Rs 3000

If you plan to use the wireless for heavyduty data transfer between 2 or more laptops, get a Linksys 802.11N router. But remember that even your laptop should support 802.11N, else the router will work in backward compatibility mode of 802.11G which has a max theoretical thruput of 54 Mbps.
Old 15th September 2007, 22:51   #14
BHPian

If the power voltage of the router supports 240 it will work anywhere in the world. I am using Linksys and Netgear since past 3 years and it is working perfectly fine.

There is no special config in your router based on the geographic location from where you purchase it. All you will lose on is the warranty as US stuff might not get manufacturers warranty in India. But they hardly have any problem.

Don't worry, pick it up. You will get is dirt cheap there.
Old 16th September 2007, 08:17   #15
BHPian

I think the cheapest option is to get it from the service provider. I had a ADSL from BSNL and when my friend got his connection, i asked him to get a wireless ADSL for 1.8k. I swapped mine with him wireless since he uses a desktop. This is a great modem as it has a wireless router + ADSL modem all in one package. I have a desktop connected to the LAN port and the laptop to the Wireless port - works great even for data transfers between my laptop and desktop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks