Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:01   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
My poweramp is a McCormack DNA 225.

Stereophile: McCormack DNA-225 power amplifier

The Focus 220 sounded excellent. Beautiful balance, the sound was lush, airy and very transparent. The contours were even better though lacking in a bit of bass extension as they are bookshelves.

sk456 what amp was the confidence paired with? I think that speaker would need atleast 300-400W high current monoblocks to perform well else there'd be no bass control. FB I don't use a cd player. I use a Burr Brown PCM1796 based chinese built Citypulse DA7.2x external DAC connected to a computer. Its modified heavily. All my CDs are ripped to the hard drive using Exact Audio Copy. I got a few higher end DACs too (Benchmark DAC1, Bel Canto DAC2) but I preferred this one over those.

sk456 I would suggest you get a pair of nice bookshelves based on your tastes, a Marantz PM7001 or Cambridge Audio Azur 640A or a NAD C352 amp and a CA Azur 640C CD Player.

For bookshelves, I'd suggest the Quad 11L, Epos M5, Dynaudio Audience 42, Cadence Arita (if you can up your budget a bit), Monitor Audio Silver RS1, PSB Image B25, KEF iQ1 etc. Just audition as much as you can before deciding.
I had used a MC Cormack to audition the Dyns.. I ahd also auditioned the Audience 62 ... had used a Primare amp initially for the Audience 62 but then we decied to give it soem more power with the Mc cormack...So i heard bo the Dyns were heard on the MC Cormacks... Low end was lackign in both the speakers..although the mids an highs wer beautiful in both...
sk456 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:22   #62
BHPian

Quote:
My poweramp is a McCormack DNA 225.
I'm jealous . Can I get an audition if I come to Bangalore . Did you buy it in India?

Quote:
FB I don't use a cd player. I use a Burr Brown PCM1796 based chinese built Citypulse DA7.2x external DAC connected to a computer. Its modified heavily. All my CDs are ripped to the hard drive using Exact Audio Copy. I got a few higher end DACs too (Benchmark DAC1, Bel Canto DAC2) but I preferred this one over those.
Very Interesting!

Quote:
sk456 I would suggest you get a pair of nice bookshelves based on your tastes, a Marantz PM7001 or Cambridge Audio Azur 640A or a NAD C352 amp and a CA Azur 640C CD Player.
I have heard the CA Azur 540A CDP with a couple of Primare amps and Dynaudio (dont remember model) as well as my Arita, found it a little harsh in the top-end and rather lean sounding IMHO, could be a component mismatch. I 've been told that the 640 CDP is significantly better than the 540.

Quote:
For bookshelves, I'd suggest the Quad 11L, Epos M5, Dynaudio Audience 42, Cadence Arita (if you can up your budget a bit), Monitor Audio Silver RS1, PSB Image B25, KEF iQ1 etc. Just audition as much as you can before deciding.
SK, you can audition the Aritas at my place if you are interested. BTW, Cadence has dropped prices slightly (d**n them) and the Aritas are now available for 45K.
Flying Bong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:24   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
I had used a MC Cormack to audition the Dyns.. I ahd also auditioned the Audience 62 ... had used a Primare amp initially for the Audience 62 but then we decied to give it soem more power with the Mc cormack...So i heard bo the Dyns were heard on the MC Cormacks... Low end was lackign in both the speakers..although the mids an highs wer beautiful in both...
Where did you audition the Dyns? Soundsmiths?
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
Where did you audition the Dyns? Soundsmiths?
Actually at the Soundsmith's dealer in Delhi (in GKII)... Another listening session happening elsewhere this Sunday. You in?
Old 23rd November 2007, 18:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Actually at the Soundsmith's dealer in Delhi (in GKII)... Another listening session happening elsewhere this Sunday. You in?
Yeah . Soundsmiths dealer in GK2? Thought it was a chap called Siddharth at NFC - atleast thats where I auditioned my Primare amp.
Old 23rd November 2007, 18:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm jealous . Can I get an audition if I come to Bangalore . Did you buy it in India?
Certainly... do just ping me when you are around . Actually this is a year old soundsmiths demo piece which they offered with full warranty at a mouthwatering price. Soundsmiths no longer carry McCormack I'm told.

Quote:
Very Interesting!

I have heard the CA Azur 540A CDP with a couple of Primare amps and Dynaudio (dont remember model) as well as my Arita, found it a little harsh in the top-end and rather lean sounding IMHO, could be a component mismatch. I 've been told that the 640 CDP is significantly better than the 540.
The 640C is better than the 540C but yes both are a bit lean sounding. There are other options around 30k... there's the NAD and Denon players. I'm not a big fan of the low end marantz CD players.

Quote:
SK, you can audition the Aritas at my place if you are interested. BTW, Cadence has dropped prices slightly (d**n them) and the Aritas are now available for 45K.
SK if you can afford them, these are the best bookshelves you'll get around the price.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 23rd November 2007 at 18:36.
Old 26th November 2007, 09:06   #67
BHPian

Audio gurus
what the best entry level stereo amp?
Choices(within 20k)
Yamaha RX-397
Onkyo TX-8222
Harman Kardon HK 3380
Cambrige Azur 340A

I would pair them with speakers from same range (15k) so choices would be Wharfedale 9, Polk Rti4, Morduant Short, Monitor Audio, Energy, Athena.... brrrr im lost.

What should I buy first? the amp? or the speakers?

The hall is large, 15*20*10 (W*L*H). Cant afford a sub now. And the system should not be too volume dependent for bringing out the highs.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:44   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Currently looking for a nice tube preamp and a better pair of speakers.
for a VFM tube amp try Lyrita Audio, if you meet Viren say Hi from me.

Quote:
All my CDs are ripped to the hard drive using Exact Audio Copy.

sk456 Cambridge Audio Azur 640A CA Azur 640C CD Player.

For bookshelves...
Smart man. Hard disks are far more mechanicaly stable than CD platters. I did something similar. WavPack/Foobar gives me ID3 tags as well.

The CA 640 combo has great WAF too. However for speakers I'd look at a DIY design from zaphaudio, troels gravesen, etc...
Old 26th November 2007, 13:11   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
for a VFM tube amp try Lyrita Audio, if you meet Viren say Hi from me.
Lyrita has a tube preamp BTW, I know someone who is using it in the following system:

Marantz CDP (or DVD player, dont remember)
Perpetual Technologies P1A+P3A
Jeff Rowland power amp
Cadence Amaya

The system owner strongly recommended Lyrita, and obviously considered it on par with the rest of the equipment.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:17   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Audio gurus
what the best entry level stereo amp?
Choices(within 20k)
Yamaha RX-397
Onkyo TX-8222
Harman Kardon HK 3380
Cambrige Azur 340A

I would pair them with speakers from same range (15k) so choices would be Wharfedale 9, Polk Rti4, Morduant Short, Monitor Audio, Energy, Athena.... brrrr im lost.

What should I buy first? the amp? or the speakers?

The hall is large, 15*20*10 (W*L*H). Cant afford a sub now. And the system should not be too volume dependent for bringing out the highs.
Get floor standers, you will not need a sub-woofer.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lyrita has a tube preamp BTW, I know someone who is using it in the following system:

Marantz CDP (or DVD player, dont remember)
Perpetual Technologies P1A+P3A
Jeff Rowland power amp
Cadence Amaya

The system owner strongly recommended Lyrita, and obviously considered it on par with the rest of the equipment.
Guess what... I just gave Viren an order for the lyrita tube preamp. He is customizing it to the characteristics of the power amp I have. Plus he's giving me a better power supply and output stage outfitte with black gate caps instead of normal electrolytics. Shall be done in 3 weeks. I can't wait .

Getting a good deal on the Dynaudio Focus 220 floorstanders. Wondering whether to pull the trigger.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:51   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Guess what... I just gave Viren an order for the lyrita tube preamp. He is customizing it to the characteristics of the power amp I have. Plus he's giving me a better power supply and output stage outfitte with black gate caps instead of normal electrolytics. Shall be done in 3 weeks. I can't wait .
Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Please buy the Dyns ASAP so I can book my tickets to Bangalore

How much did the Lyrita work out to?
Old 29th November 2007, 22:40   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guess what... I just gave Viren an order for the lyrita tube preamp..
you gotta hear his monoblocks while you are at it.
Old 28th February 2009, 16:17   #74
BHPian

Rekindling an old thread for the love of separates

Ive got an 2004 set-up of

Arcam A80 amp
Arcam CD-72 disc player

As a student i spent most of my funds on these two and had nothing left for good quality speakers(the perils of not compromising on amp n cd player choice).Hence i ended up with Eltax floor-standers which are a basic British brand and not Hi-Fi in the truest sense.Ive returned to India with the above and finally its time to give the separates its due speakers.

The Amp is not a high powered or "party" piece , but my fascination is for the unbiased manner in which it plays music.At times,it does feel bass is lacking since most tunes nowadays having these frequencies,so a Bass heavy speaker could probably compensate this factor.My personal choice is a more "filling the room" sound. The CD player is in the same mould and relays stuff the manner it was recorded.

With a budget of 25K, please do give suggestions for Stereo Speakers, preferably floor-standers. Ill only be passing 50Wrms(amp rated at 65) at the peak , so an 80Wrms (rated at 8ohm)speaker should be more than sufficient.
Old 4th March 2009, 23:16   #75
BHPian

knock knock .......... any suggestions for the post above?

Most Viewed