Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 12:24   #1
BHPian

wierd laptop sos mayday mayday

hi
something wierd is happening.I sit on my bed ,laptop on the bed too,i am not touching it.the laptop is on and getting charged too. Mom touches my hand.Shouts. she feels an electric current .its stronger on my neck. i swithc off the charger its gone. unplug the charger .adapter on the bed too switch on .no current .
there is a cotton bedsheet on the bed .Cotton is a bad conductor right. it happens even when the laptop is on my lap too . but it goes when its kept on a fat book. when i put my foot on the bare floor lightly still sitting on the bed i a viberation at my foot kinda like an el,ectric current.

and i ve bought it in the grey market. its not even a year old .
i dont feel the current myself but is it harmfull??
i use the laptop lying down at times with the laptop on my chest. and mom is freaking out

helpppp!!!!!
Old 8th October 2007, 12:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

i think the earthing(???) is not done properly - the same thing happens in my room only. i have faced the same issue. or else use a different socket for charging/using the lappy. hope that helps.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:50   #3
BHPian

my laptop charger is of the 2 plug thingy . no earthing . tried an different plug no change .will try a different room.
ty
Old 8th October 2007, 13:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

By any chance do you have a wrought iron bed?
Old 8th October 2007, 14:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

You need to connect to a plug with proper earthing, even i have faced this issue.
Old 8th October 2007, 14:14   #6
BHPian

Which laptop is this that comes with a two plug thing? Sue the company! They have to provide an earthing in a device like a laptop! Used HPs, IBMs (Lenovos), Dells, Zeniths, Compaqs and all of them have a three pin plug!
Old 8th October 2007, 14:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey is it only when you us it on the bed or there is same thing happening when you use it else where, may be there is problem with the electrical system in your room, or there is leakage in the laptop itself, as you mentioned that it not brand new, there may be loose connection in the power system of the laptop itself, hence when your are charging you feel it. earthing has to be there for any system that uses transformer to charge battery... you have been given an assembled charger may be... and not the one from the company.

Last edited by dinar : 8th October 2007 at 14:23. Reason: additional info
Old 8th October 2007, 14:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

just get the earthing of your house checked properly, its a very standard problem.
Old 8th October 2007, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
hi
something wierd is happening.I sit on my bed ,laptop on the bed too,i am not touching it.the laptop is on and getting charged too. Mom touches my hand.Shouts. she feels an electric current .its stronger on my neck. i swithc off the charger its gone. unplug the charger .adapter on the bed too switch on .no current .
helpppp!!!!!
This will happen only if the person touching ,forms an alternate path for the current flow. If its the earth fault then you shouldn't experience it when you are wearing a chappal , It happens only if you are in touch with the ground directly and the lappie's metal part.
If thats the case , then get the plug point checked for faulty earthing connection.
Old 8th October 2007, 19:51   #10
BHPian

@zappo -no its wood
@freak -a sony vaio

ok will get the the earthin checked the charger seems genuine looking at the finish its bought form a trusted person but still...
seems like there is a leakage from the lappy elect system

no one told me if its harmful for me physically
Old 8th October 2007, 20:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Cotton is a bad conductor right
not as bad as you might think, i have also gotten mild shocks with cotton towels (even dry) hanging on wires accidentally carrying curent.

another thing to keep in mind is the moisture in cotton.

get your laptop earthed.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

paras211 - U r not alone.. I have a Sony Vaio with exactly the same problem. Its a bit wierd, but doesn't happen too often.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:32   #13
BHPian

If you have 2 pin plug on your charger, try plugging it to wall socket in reverse (up-side-down?) and check. If none work, charge it fully and disconnect form wall before working
It is not so good idea to keep the laptop on the bed as the soft surface blocks all cooling vents under the laptop and it heats up quickly.
Old 8th October 2007, 20:37   #14
BHPian

Body Static

There is phenomenon called body static, wherein the body stores charge, being a comnductor while behaving like a capacitor

Your first issue of zapping people would be solved if you walk around in your room barefoot.

For the second one, pls let us know the make and model of your laptop so that we can guide you in getting a three pinned charger

All the while as people have said, you need to get your residence earthed properly and if earthed already, pls see to it that the earthing cable is getting some water
Old 8th October 2007, 23:33   #15

You could phone up India TV. It really makes for a good story. You ll get rich and famous.

Ek insaan! Current maarne waala insaaan!

So seriously speaking. Its earthing. If the earth connection is improper, all the excess voltage is sent back to the chassis and then the current follows the best conduction route. If you fancy to find out more about your own mortal limitations, get a bucket of water and put your other hand in it.

Get your earthing connections checked by a qualified person. This could be potentially dangerous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks