Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:13   #1
BHPian

What do you use your PDA for?

We keep having detailed discussions on state of the art specs and latest PDA releases. Many of us hardly waste any time in ordering (or pre-ordering in some cases) the latest in these gizmos.

While there is a lot of talk on a daily basis on nifty details like overclocked processors and fast browsers and touch flo technology, it would be interesting to know how folks are actually using their PDAs. It would serve two purposes. One, for guys who already own such devices, it would help to know how they could be exploited fully to benefit ones time and money. And two, for guys who cannot make up their minds on whether to buy a PDA (I fall in such a category), it would help to know if the money spent is actually worth it.

So guys, what do you use your PDAs for? Is it just for music, viewing pdf files and browing the net or have you been able to adopt it for something really wicked like switching on your room lights using bluetooth/infrared activated devices located strategically around your house
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Kyocera 7135 with the RIL.

Mobile usage is maybe one call in two days, so dont care about its battery life or anything.

PDA Usage: PDF Reader, MP3, DateBook sometimes, Memo comes in handy for games(drawing, tic tac toe).
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Many of us hardly waste any time in ordering (or pre-ordering in some cases) the latest in these gizmos.
Ahem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
So guys, what do you use your PDAs for?
What do you mean 'use'??? Who uses their PDA anyway? The general idea is to look cool and do nothing.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Ahem!
What do you mean 'use'??? Who uses their PDA anyway? The general idea is to look cool and do nothing.

I read and read a lot on my PDA.
got the PDA real cheap and thank god its strong.

been flung around by a very angry wife, when she catches me awake at 2AM still glued to some book I am reading.

However most other features get a pass, as I dont like being available 24*7 to anyone, who thinks they just have to dial a number and reach me.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:53   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I may be the odd one out here. I got rid of my PDA (gathering dust) but cannot live without the desktop software that came with my Palm. I am pretty much on the desk 99% of work hours so didnt need the portability of the Palm.

I use the Palm software to the max of its capabilities.....address book, data book, to-do list, memos et all.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

To look smarter than the boss, and subtly indicate your availability for a raise?
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:18   #7
BHPian

O2 XDA!!
Lived only for 3 weeks until I dropped it in my washbasin with the tap on full flow!! (well not deliberately of course.)
repair costs were too high to bear as it was a gift

right now,... am using it to break walnuts that my friend sent from JK. LOL. alternatively it is in my kid's toybox.

living on a plain simple old Samsung C100 since then :(
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

The original idea was to be tongue-in-cheek, but I guess its now insulting to the thread initiator. Therefore, here's what I do with my PDA:

Check the Weather @ home, and generally have a cool looking interface

Keep in touch with friends through various options from a contacts dir, Automatically scan and save visiting cards into your contacts DB

Take me to a Restaurant when I'm Hungry or check out where to buy my next car

Check the latest Scores so I can start more nonsense on the cricket thread

Listen to the Radio or to MP3s

View or Edit Pictures

Increase productivity or Pass time with cool programs for self and games for the lil one

Send/Receive Mail instantly (most used application), IM or Call on Skype or Browse TBHP (most preferred activity)

EDIT: Yeah I quite forgot - Make and Receive Voice and Video Calls

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd October 2007 at 16:46.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:49   #9
BHPian

Steeroid , that is a pretty comprehensive list of tasks to do from your PDA .

mind sharing the make / model of this Windows mobile ? looks like you are on edge and not wifi . any particular reasons ? ( wifi is more vfm here IMO )
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

I use my Nokia E90 for:
- The occasional telephone call (15-30 minutes a day max)
- SMS (Max 10-15 a day)
- Browsing (about 3-4 hours on and off daily)
- RSS reader (I wish there was a better RSS reader for Symbian)
- Reading eBooks (about an hour a day on and off daily, and for 2-3 hours on weekends)
- Watching movies (occasionally, when I'm travelling)
- Writing notes (very often, daily)
- Wake-up alarm
- Calendar (the E90 is BAD for this -- the XDA IIi was great with this).
- Snapping the occasional photo
- Photo repository
- Occasional Excel sheet usage (never used the Word or PPT app yet)
- Paperweight

Except for the excellent screen (for browsing and movie-watching), the IMHO very good keyboard, and good phone-phone (phone call + SMS ease-of-use) capabilities, the HTC Kaiser kicks the E90's @$$ as a PDA.

I prefer the Wi-Mo 3rd party apps for Note-taking, RSS aggregation & reading, Calendar & To-Do, EBook reading, Voice-recorder use, Photo-album use & multiple alarm-setting. I miss using my ancient XDA IIi for these.

My Dad bricked my O2 XDA IIi. I used it heavily with no issues at all for 2 years. Gave it to my Dad (after I bought my E90), and it lasted all of 2 months :(
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Steeroid , that is a pretty comprehensive list of tasks to do from your PDA .

mind sharing the make / model of this Windows mobile ? looks like you are on edge and not wifi . any particular reasons ? ( wifi is more vfm here IMO )
Thank you.

Its an HTC Tytn II a.k.a Kaiser a.k.a P4550.

Its on 3G, not Edge. 3G is preferred to WiFi because its everywhere and I dont need to keep searching for hotspots and connecting/reconnecting.

PS: I must add "Watch Mobile TV" to the list, but I cannot take a screenshot since the 3G session (and therefore the TV broadcast) terminates as soon as I connect the PDA to my laptop to capture the image.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd October 2007 at 17:01.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
View or Edit Pictures
Whoa! Awesome likeness!
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:23   #13
BHPian

I use my THC touch for whether information, RSS Feeds, Browsing, MS Office, Music and multimedia, bluetooth and of course making phone calls and sms

I mean what else is the use of a PDA anyway

Last edited by rajismine : 22nd October 2007 at 17:26.
Old 22nd October 2007, 18:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

Its on 3G, not Edge. 3G is preferred to WiFi because its everywhere and I dont need to keep searching for hotspots and connecting/reconnecting.
Wish 3g is soon bought into India by vodafone or BSNL. Only then does it make sense (to me) to use net over PDA. Right now I use my Treo 650 for making phone calls, pictures, reminders, meetings tracker. That's about it.
Old 22nd October 2007, 18:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The original idea was to be tongue-in-cheek, but I guess its now insulting to the thread initiator.
None taken.

Wonder how many of those nifty little things you do can actually be done here in India. Is skype possible here?
And does it need a windows based mobile or will a nokia sym 60 do?

Also, there is a school of thought that believes that the to-do apps, calendar and note making is much easier on windows based mobiles. Any truth to this? I would think that with wi mo phones which have only a stylus, it would not be easy to make too many notes and have a long list of to-do's

Most Viewed