Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: You Mobile Store experience ?
Bad 13 33.33%
Could be better 16 41.03%
Good 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2007, 17:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience at The Mobile Store

As some of you know, I was forced to by a new phone today, because my BlackBerry Pearl was lost/stolen.

I asked at a few stores around my place, but they did not have a replacement. I was contemplating buying another BlackBerry or buying a smartphone with BB connect software.

I did some short research on the internet and narrowed it down to the BB Curve, Sony P1i, Nokia E61i. Later, not having the patience anymore, I called Airtel and asked for the number of Airtel at Peninsula Mumbai.
Strangely, the call centre refused to give me the number, offering to find out if the curve was in stock instead. Weird.

I then went to The Mobile Store at worli. Nice store, well laid out and excellent staff. I spoke to one man about my problem.

He heard me out and then brought out all 3 phones. However he had no dummies for them (every other phone had a dummy). It was a nice experience to be able to decide on the spot.
When I asked a few technical questions, he called his colleague who was truly well versed with the phones and he confirmed to me what I had read.
For Blackberry usage, nothing came close to the BB handsets.

In a few moments I had decided on the curve. To my happy surprise, he asked me if I was a Jet Frequent Flier. If I was, then I was entitled to either a 2GB micro SD card, or a JABRA bluetooth handsfree. I chose the 2GB card as I already had a nokia bluetooth handsfree.

As if THAT was not enough, I also recd a scratch coupon - when I did scratch it, I recd a coupon for a Jet Airways ticket to anywhere in India (one way)

I could have bought the same handset at Airtel for the same price, but this was wonderful. In a matter of moments, he swiped my card, made my invoice and packed up the stuff.

I cannot think of a better buying experience wrt mobiles. The only drawback I can think of was the lack of dummy phones for the 3 models I wanted to choose from, but then I agree, these are all brand new models. Every other model had a dummy handset.
Old 24th October 2007, 17:17   #2
BANNED

Hey Sam, thats a nice experience. Didn't they offer a ride on The Rolls Royce?
Old 24th October 2007, 17:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
As some of you know, I was forced to by a new phone today, because my BlackBerry Pearl was lost/stolen.
First one at Rtech's reception. Where is this one?

Why don't buy a dozen in one go? Since you need them sooner or later. That shop will give you round the world ticket too.
Old 24th October 2007, 17:40   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent writeup and great to hear of a pleasant retail experience. The Mobile Store appears to be one of the few retail establishments with a knowledgeable sales staff, proactive approach and friendly service.

I need a new cell phone myself....will stop by the worli store on the way back home.

EDIT : They have a pretty impressive website too!
Old 24th October 2007, 17:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

My version is exactly the opposite of Sam's. And I experienced it at 2 different stores - at Chembur and Powai.

None of the staff knew anything except the rates which were higher than what I got from other normal stores. No dummies and no real pieces to check out as well.

I decided better to go to our local guy - great service , better price - what else you need ?
Old 24th October 2007, 18:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Why don't buy a dozen in one go? Since you need them sooner or later. That shop will give you round the world ticket too.
Come on man Rudra, it happens sometimes.
Old 24th October 2007, 19:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Pretty apt advice Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Come on man Rudra, it happens sometimes.
Yeah, but twp phones in a row?

Last edited by iraghava : 24th October 2007 at 19:55.
Old 24th October 2007, 20:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yeah, but twp phones in a row?
In a row means what? The last one was lost at Rtech's wedding. That was a long time ago!
Old 24th October 2007, 21:39   #9
BHPian

Interesting...my experience with the Mobile Store at Koramangala in Bangalore was nowhere as good. 5 minutes before anyone acknowledged I was there, all requests for assistance before that fell on deaf ears. Dummy models weren't available of course and no proactive staff either.

K.
Old 24th October 2007, 22:34   #10
F50
Senior - BHPian

Mine was not good either.
Mobile Store @ Fort - Only one person, taking ages to attend. No dummy pieces. And half the models he doesnt even know. And I was out.

I agree with NC, local dealers are much better.
Old 24th October 2007, 22:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just added a poll to get the statistical picture
Old 24th October 2007, 22:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had the best experience with these chaps. I hate Sangeetha for their lousy service and attitude.

Walked into the Mobile Store on BEL New Road and had a pleasant experience. The chaps knew what they were talking about.Very courteous and helpful.

My cell (N70 ME) had conked coz I loaded quite a few things and these guys were kind enough to flash and reinstall the software free of cost.
I wouldn't mind paying the amount, but then after reading Ajmat's experience with the Nokia cust. Service I decided not to go to the service center.

Picked up a cell for dad and my lady from the same place.
Old 24th October 2007, 23:06   #13
BANNED

BTW, what happened to the Mobile Store Rolls Royce doing rounds? Hope someday they offer free pick-up & drop facility for people from their homes to Mobile Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Picked up a cell for dad and my lady from the same place.
Old 25th October 2007, 01:40   #14
BHPian

whats the deal with the dummy phones? arent the real ones better examples of the phone itself? i hate those plastic dummy ones.
good to know the staff knew the specs of the phones.
Old 25th October 2007, 02:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

I too hate those dummy phones, much rather prefer to feel & see an actual piece while taking a decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks