Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 11:10   #1
BHPian

Internet connection sharing without WiFi access point

I have a WiFi enabled laptop, connected to the internet using a cable modem (LAN port). I do not have a Wireless access point. Is there any way I can share the internet with other WiFi enabled devices like cellphones?
Old 7th November 2007, 11:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't think so.

But I'm going to watch this thread with a lot of interest -- I'd love to know whether this is possible too
Old 7th November 2007, 11:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

Yes, its possible, Its called a ad-hoc network
Google will get you lots of links for ad-hoc network.
Basically, your host laptop starts working as a wifi router connected to the internet. Then you can connect any device, just like you would connect to a router.
Laptop To Laptop Connection, Wifi « Abhimanyu Says
Old 7th November 2007, 16:51   #4
BHPian

If you run windows you can use the ICS (Internet connection sharing) too.
But I think you can connect only one device at a time to laptop WiFi.
Old 7th November 2007, 17:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you buy a Wi-Fi router? Or is it that you want to know whether the laptop's wifi can be used to share internet amongst other WiFi enabled devices ?
Old 7th November 2007, 17:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

I think thats the point. He already has a laptop and wants to know whether the laptop can be used as an access point. The answer is yes, the laptop can function as a wifi point and you can connect wifi devices.
Old 30th November 2007, 01:23   #7
BHPian

@ gopz . more detail please. like ISP , Access Point manufacturer (Linksys , Dlink , Netgear ) Cable Modem details .
Old 30th November 2007, 01:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Im using Airtel Network through Beetel ADSL2 + Modem with wifi capability. The modem is connected to my desktop via cable, while my laptop can access wireless internet, anywhere within 100mtrs from where the modem is located.

Shan2nu
Old 30th November 2007, 07:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Definitely possible. Just create and ad-hoc network like Tsk mentioned and then use internet connection sharing like Pankaj mentioned
Old 30th November 2007, 16:57   #10
BHPian

Hey guys question here. I am aware of ad-hoc networks. However, I have a sify connection. Now they have a limitation of only one ip address per connection, i.e. only one computer can be used as they record the ip address. If I use an ad-hoc network, then another computer can access the net through mine. So can sify see the other computers ip address at all in this way? Because I am wondering they may not be able to find out because all information will flow in and out to the net connection only through my computer.
Also is it possible to share the internet with another computer using a bluetooth connection? Because my desktop only has a bluetooth dongle and no wifi capabilities for now...
Old 30th November 2007, 17:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nope, sify will not see any other address.
I think what sify is doing is recording the MAC address of your PC. If you use a Router etc., with a different MAC address, the connection wont work.
As for the network downstream of your PC, sify won't even know there is a network.
Infact you can use a router. Just make the mac address of the router same as mac address of PC(many routers give this facility)
Old 30th November 2007, 18:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Infact you can use a router. Just make the mac address of the router same as mac address of PC(many routers give this facility)
Nope... this does not work cleanly on sify. I have mentioned this on another thread on WiFi. Reason being Sify has that stupid dialer/login app, whatever you call it.

Now, even if you make the MAC address of the router to mimic that of your laptop/comp the damn thing can not login because Sify has its own proprietory encrypted handshake protocol. So the only way you can do it is by first attaching the cable to your comp and get connected. Then take out the wire and plug it into the router. Thereafter you can access the Net via WiFi.
Old 30th November 2007, 18:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Nope... this does not work cleanly on sify. I have mentioned this on another thread on WiFi. Reason being Sify has that stupid dialer/login app, whatever you call it.

Now, even if you make the MAC address of the router to mimic that of your laptop/comp the damn thing can not login because Sify has its own proprietory encrypted handshake protocol. So the only way you can do it is by first attaching the cable to your comp and get connected. Then take out the wire and plug it into the router. Thereafter you can access the Net via WiFi.
Wow, I wonder why do people get Sify.
In the ad hoc network route, you can use wifi by using laptop as router. Do the handshake, and then start the adhoc network.
Better still, shift to airtel or BSNL.
From what I heard of sify, they are cheats, and they con customers. Infact a customer was awarded compensation when it turned out that his "unlimited" connection had hidden limits.
Old 5th December 2007, 13:00   #14
BHPian

Oh yeah Sify is a rather poor provider compared to the other ISP's available. Their speed is good no doubt but their hardware is unreliable, as in the net disconnects when it starts raining etc!! The only reason I had to take Sify again in this house is that it is the only provider available in the area I stay.

Oh yeah that hidden limits thing took us by surprise once too! I had this download on through the day but suddenly the internet stopped working. On asking Sify, they said the limit is 150 MB between 8 AM and 10PM during the day!! And they had told me it was an unlimited connection. But with the connections they give these days they clearly mention the limits and the speeds are good.
I heard that SIFY has poor service because they have something/body called a CTO, basically like a franchise between Sify and the customer. So it's in the hand of the franchise to give good service, which he doesn't do too well ;-)!
Old 5th December 2007, 13:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
@ gopz . more detail please. like ISP , Access Point manufacturer (Linksys , Dlink , Netgear ) Cable Modem details .
ISP is Hathway. Cable modem Motorola

I created an adhoc network and Im able to connect my N80 to the internet

Most Viewed