Team-BHP - The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/31260-digital-camera-thread-questions-discussions-etc-103.html)

Canon S3 IS 6 MP 12x Zoom
Canon Rebel XTi with Canon EF S 18-55 & Canon EF 75-300

Olympus can't get high ISO right ever I think.
We have been seeing snapshot size samples and people claiming good ISO 1600.
But look at the 100% crop. This is bad!
MY 2 year old canon does 2x better!
E-3 + PhotoAcute at 1600 ISO... (pics): Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Of course the scaled down looks good, but then 100% or 50% crop is where the pudding lies

Tanveer, if you judge every dSLR by their ISO performance, then you can never consider anything outside of Canon. In the film days I never really used anything above 200ASA. Once I bought 400ASA and 1600ASA each just to check it out, but that's about it. Also, in the film days we never cropped, that's a term I heard only after switching to digital.

I am quite happy with the high ISO performance in the Thai boxing images few posts back. The chances of shooting high ISO and needing cropping would be a rare requirement for me. Therefore I am not really worried about it. I am not going to eliminate an excellent dSLR based on such an obscure need.

Being a life long gadget freak (I have improved a lot in the recent years) I have often bought gadgets based on some obscure need, and then never use that feature. These days I buy equipment based on their ability to meet my major requirements. The reason I consider E3 are follows:

1) High speed AF specially in low light, that's a big problem in E-500 now.
2) Handheld indoor/lowlight photography. With E3 I can use both IS and highISO to maximise my chances of good photos. And I don't really care about cropping here.
3) Articulating LCD screen for composing. I hugely miss this feature since it is so handy in my Sony F-717. It is one of the reasons why I still hold on to my F-717.

If not for the above 3, I would happily settle for E-510 which is a bargain now.

Its not an obscure need. I have used high ISO to compensate for the cheapo slow tele lens.
I guess will in body IS which can give me guaranteed 2 stop improvement in 600mm(300mmx2), high ISO is not needed.
But if you want to shoot action, you may need to bump up ISO, and except for Oly,Canon/Nikon/Pentax all three offer clean ISO 1600

Not for you, but for me it is an obscure need. I am more than satisfied with the Thai boxing shots.

Some guy has found a bug with the in camera NR also. It seems that even for 30 minute exposures, the in camera NR does only 8 minutes max, though the correct amount should be 30 minutes.

That's one more feature I never use, I have never used exposrure longer than 60 seconds. Besides, that bug is a software issue, future updates will fix it.

Hehe, Looking at the people here, I think I am a very obscure photographer :p
Many shots I have taken were at at 50mm F1.8 at ISO 1600
In couple of cases I underexposed and then in RAW pushed up the exposure making it effective ISO 3200.
But then with a IS in body, you don't need all this circus.

Coming back to E-3 I saw a few samples with the sigma 50-500(whopping 1000mm). They were quite good. Handheld moon shots.

All of us are 'obscure' and remain there. Unless we discover solutions to our problems, ourselves. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 632028)
Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani (Post 631760)
Link to the dealer site is Shetala Cameras

This is a ridiculous website, I know they are the authorised dealers for Olympus, but their website has not been updated since 2005. The only Olympus dSLR they claim to have is E-300.:Shockked:

Now they even lost their domain name, looks like they don't care about web presence.

I wanted get E3 info. Their phone number (published in Olympus site) when called says it is invalid. Do these guys actually exist?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 642307)
I wanted get E3 info. Their phone number (published in Olympus site) when called says it is invalid. Do these guys actually exist?

At least their email was active, I got a response. Their phone number is 080-41238528/29, the E3 will be released in India on Dec 15th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 642439)
At least their email was active, I got a response. Their phone number is 080-41238528/29, the E3 will be released in India on Dec 15th.

I was told the same timeframe by the exclusive showroom when I enquired.

I'm thinking of starting a new thread titled "My E-3 Fund". It will have my account number.

:D

First look video of the 1DS Mark III......drool:)

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III - First Impression Video by DigitalRev - DigitalRev.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 631773)
You need a more solid and heavy tripod to support a dSLR. At least aim for 4Kg or above, it will be mentioned in the tripod specs.

What are the pros and cons of a monopod part from that it cant stand on its own? Havent used or seen one being used. What shooting suitations will it work best in? Any good brands to consider?