Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2006, 16:48   #196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
I also checked various other resources like dpreview.com, thedigitalpicture.com,amazon.com,photoxone.de to ensure that i am buying the right lens.
Hey, I am not putting down your lens, I know it is an excellent buy. Way better than my current 40-150mm telezoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
Lens you are looking seems to be damn good for the price. It beats canon in terms of speed and range (and in terms of sharpness),but since there are only three reviews, i would suggest you to do further research before taking the plunge.
I have read every available review on this lens, including the one you showed. There are only 3 reviews because four-third lens family is not as popular as Nikon & Canon SLR family. The range is also not so wide, but it is growing, many of them are still not out in the market.
Old 9th October 2006, 17:07   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Hey, I am not putting down your lens, I know it is an excellent buy. Way better than my current 40-150mm telezoom.
Samurai, I never felt that way. I genuinely felt that the sample size was so small to get a fair opinion, that why i wanted you to check with other sources. Secondly, as we both know, my lens sharper than yours or vice versa is not going to matter anyway.

regards
tifosi.
Old 10th October 2006, 06:56   #198
BHPian

I have Fuji Finepix 3800 3 mega pixel camera, which has 6x Optixal Zoom and 3x Digital Zoom. I have bought a 2x telelens attachment and effectively, I have an optical zoom of about 12x.

I also have a 2 megapixel camera on my NOKIA 6270 mobile phone.

I have been using this for about 2+ years and is giving very nice picture quality. My next one will be a Camcorder with more than 20x optical zoom. Have not decided on buying yet.
Old 10th October 2006, 10:19   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun
I have Fuji Finepix 3800 3 mega pixel camera, which has 6x Optixal Zoom and 3x Digital Zoom. I have bought a 2x telelens attachment and effectively, I have an optical zoom of about 12x.
Goldsun, you are the first person I have come across who has a Fuji camera. I too have one, a S5600, with 10X optical zoom and 5.1mp.
I also have an old Pentax K1000 film camera.
Old 10th October 2006, 11:06   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
My kit

Nikon N 55 SLR film camera

Nikon 25- 80mm Af lens

Nikon 70 - 300mm Af lens

Tamron matching teleconvertes ( 1.4X , 2X )
do the teleconverts work with these zooms. I thoguht the teleconverters needed reasonably fast lenses (f/2.8) to work since you loose 1-2 stops.
Old 10th October 2006, 11:27   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
do the teleconverts work with these zooms. I thoguht the teleconverters needed reasonably fast lenses (f/2.8) to work since you loose 1-2 stops.
You are absolutely right about losing a stop or two.

Tamron has 2 types of TCs. The plain vanilla AF 1.4 x and 2 x
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/teles.asp

and the Pro AF SP 1.4X and 2X with better lens construction and coating
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/proteles.asp , which are 50% more expensive.

The AF SP TCs which I have seem to communicate better with the Nikon cameras electronics.

Even the autofocus works with the 1.4X converter all the time with my zoom lens. However 2x needs sufficient light to work in Af mode, but it does give very decent quality of photos. Not a problem at all in manual mode.

Think good enough IMO for an amateur like me learnig wildlife / bird photography.
Old 10th October 2006, 20:29   #202
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys wrong thread but i wanna know if anyone has tried out the Canon S3IS ? i'm really new to digital, just dont wanna buy a expensive DSLR as a first step.
Old 10th October 2006, 20:56   #203
Senior - BHPian

My digi cam fuji film FinePix S7000 19X 6x optical, 3.2x digital its really great cam, camera bag EX 120 is baught from lowepro.com, its alos very cool.

My USA Boss ( client ), my 2 of programmers have similar type of cams since when we found this series extremely great couple of years back when planned to buy a digi cam.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 10th October 2006, 21:41   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Guys wrong thread but i wanna know if anyone has tried out the Canon S3IS ? i'm really new to digital, just dont wanna buy a expensive DSLR as a first step.
aza same here.I also want to buy a digi cam but with some more features and bit of video recording at good quality.I have been very impressed with canon S3IS's reviews and specs.

I beleive its a good choice for starters who wants to take a plunge in ocean of photography but have no or very minimal knowledge of it.
Old 10th October 2006, 22:57   #205
aZa
Senior - BHPian

rsj hell ya, it looks very impressive and i tried it at Pritam Studios in delhi, it felt very nice much like a baby SLR. Plus the Image stablization and a 12x 2.8-3.5 lens isn't bad. I was quoted 19K (without bill) for a S3IS.

What all digicam's have u tried ??? Canon A710IS looks good too.
Old 10th October 2006, 23:44   #206
BANNED

Ok guys! It's a Nikon coolpix S4 with 10X optical zoom. Just a casual camera with a nice zoom and a decent Lcd display.

@aza. Just go for it man. That cam seems like a winner.
Old 11th October 2006, 00:27   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
S3 IS is an excellent cam. If you are a newbie, a DSLR can frustrate you. Start with something like the S3IS and then later if you feel you can go further.
It has automatic modes and also has full manual controls.

Another similar camera are the Sony R1 type cams or the H5 etc.,
If you buy from India Sony is a good deal as they give 3 years warranty and interest free EMIs.

In the end H5, H2, R1, S3Is are all good cams. Hold all of them and then buy the one you are comfortable with. All of them will take pics which are of quality which is dependent on the photographer.

Image stabilization is a really good feature in the IS esp at long zoom
Old 11th October 2006, 08:18   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

S3 is a good one - it has the features, good optical zoom, and Image Stabilization. Had checked this out recently for a friend who is a beginner. He's also happy with the cam. Go fo this one.
Old 11th October 2006, 17:47   #209
BHPian

tanveer,thanx for inputs.
R1 seems to be doubly expensive than H5 and S3.Why????
Also i dint see if it also provided video recording feature and it also has cmos lens instaed of ccd.Infcat i dint see any noticeable difference from rest apart from it being 10mp cam.

Which out of all will be able to record video clips at reasonable good playback quality?
And do u think any sony cam will be able to beat canon in terms of image/video quality within same price range models?

S3 is available in USA for only $350 but sony r costlier.Is it worth to pay extra for sony?

I am sorry for all these questions but i will be buying my 1st EVER digicam as we r going to have a baby early next yr and need to click lots of pic and occasionally make small video clip.
Old 11th October 2006, 18:19   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
tanveer,thanx for inputs.
R1 seems to be doubly expensive than H5 and S3.Why????
Also i dint see if it also provided video recording feature and it also has cmos lens instaed of ccd.Infcat i dint see any noticeable difference from rest apart from it being 10mp cam.
Its a APS-C size sensor, which means lower noise.
That makes it somewhat like a Fixed lens cam with DSLR capabilities. but the pitfalls are low zoom.
Read the details here : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
If you are willing to spend that much, I suggest the A100 DSLR or the Rebel 400D.

Quote:
Which out of all will be able to record video clips at reasonable good playback quality?
And do u think any sony cam will be able to beat canon in terms of image/video quality within same price range models?
If you are view clip guy, I suggest the S3 IS. A great great buy. The H2 and H5 also have video clips.
Again you can visit
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsch5.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsch2.asp
for reviews.
But I would suggest the canon, real long zoom with IS. This cam has rave reviews.
Quote:
S3 is available in USA for only $350 but sony r costlier.Is it worth to pay extra for sony?
Well depends what you like, what you want. all these cams are good. In VFM S3 IS is actually one of the best deals.
Quote:
I am sorry for all these questions but i will be buying my 1st EVER digicam as we r going to have a baby early next yr and need to click lots of pic and occasionally make small video clip.
Well then S3 IS is simple great. You can capture the baby indoors in natural light without flash with help of IS.
Its a wonderful cam to learn! Go for the S3.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks