Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 20:37   #2746
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 642 Times
Default

Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D90

Nikon D90 - 12.3 MP SLR and the first with built-in Hi-Def video recording - all for $999.
Now that's called eviscerating the competition.
StarScream is offline  
Old 27th August 2008, 22:55   #2747
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,599
Thanked: 32,746 Times
Default

Just got myself the Panasonic FZ28. Will post up a review over the weeken after spending some time with it.
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 28th August 2008, 12:36   #2748
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 24,267
Thanked: 6,814 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Nikon D90 - 12.3 MP SLR and the first with built-in Hi-Def video recording - all for $999..
So canon introduced the 50D to compete.

Last edited by navin : 28th August 2008 at 12:48.
navin is offline  
Old 28th August 2008, 23:01   #2749
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 134 Times
Default

I was given a Canon IXUS 430 recently by my cousin since he wasn't using it. The CCD had to be replaced so I did that for 2800. I'm pretty sure there was no face detection when this camera was launched. After replacing the CCD, I have noticed that when I press the shutter button to focus, a square shows up on the screen where the camera as focused(I've seen up to four squares).

Could it be that the new CCD has enabled face detection?

I must say that I'm impressed with the pictures.
straight6 is offline  
Old 29th August 2008, 10:08   #2750
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 24,267
Thanked: 6,814 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Could it be that the new CCD has enabled face detection?
I must say that I'm impressed with the pictures.
CCD fd is would require a firmware update as well. Maybe that is shat they did whne they installed a new CCD.
navin is offline  
Old 29th August 2008, 10:13   #2751
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,589
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

using a 5100, its really good on manual mode but not so good in the auto mode and with default settings
bottle is offline  
Old 29th August 2008, 14:07   #2752
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I was given a Canon IXUS 430 recently by my cousin since he wasn't using it. The CCD had to be replaced so I did that for 2800. I'm pretty sure there was no face detection when this camera was launched. After replacing the CCD, I have noticed that when I press the shutter button to focus, a square shows up on the screen where the camera as focused(I've seen up to four squares).

Could it be that the new CCD has enabled face detection?

I must say that I'm impressed with the pictures.

This feature has been there from the beginning. It is NOT face detection - perhaps a precursor to that. It basically shows the areas in focus/and being used for exposure evaluation. . Once can choose between this and centre point focus/evaluation.

Oh Yes - I own this camera. I purchased it within a month of its launch - so this info is first hand!

Last edited by kb100 : 29th August 2008 at 14:08.
kb100 is offline  
Old 29th August 2008, 17:40   #2753
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
This feature has been there from the beginning. It is NOT face detection - perhaps a precursor to that. It basically shows the areas in focus/and being used for exposure evaluation. . Once can choose between this and centre point focus/evaluation.

Oh Yes - I own this camera. I purchased it within a month of its launch - so this info is first hand!
My cousin had got it from Malaysia in '04 I think. What do you think about its resolution? Any tips on using this one to the best of its ability?
straight6 is offline  
Old 29th August 2008, 19:16   #2754
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
So canon introduced the 50D to compete.
Sure they did but which spec of the 50D is a world-first? A claim the D-90 can make for sure. I don't know about you but I don't mind having the ability to shoot video and that too Hi-Def with an SLR. And AFAIK the D-90 is $300 cheaper.

Last edited by StarScream : 29th August 2008 at 19:19.
StarScream is offline  
Old 31st August 2008, 12:40   #2755
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dekhi
Posts: 53
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

hi guys - just got the Sony A300 DSLR + 18-70 lens for 600$. Also ordered a SD-to-compactflash adapter from ebay (no way I'm going to plunk 2.5 K for a 4gb card!)

Just looking at all places to buy a backpack now (from India.. dont have anyone comin from the US now). I cant understand why India has no half decent camera bags... all of them imported and cost an arm and a leg - though I'm pretty sure all of them are stitched in Meerut or Jalandhar!
silverbyte is offline  
Old 31st August 2008, 18:00   #2756
BHPian
 
jaibir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 317
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
(no way I'm going to plunk 2.5 K for a 4gb card!)

Just looking at all places to buy a backpack now (from India.. dont have anyone comin from the US now).
A 4gb San Disk Extreme III CF card sells for under 1900/-. The comparable SD card was launched quite recently. I'm not sure how much it costs. The older Ultra II cards are cheaper.

For the bag, try getting one of the bags made by the folks over at the Bangalore Photography Club. They have a pretty active forum where you should be able to get some idea on availability. The basic sling-type backpack with enough space for a body + 3-4 lenses was 1800/-. Otherwise, check some of the grey market stores. Lowe-Pro bags aren't too much more than their US prices. You have to scout around a bit though - prices vary a lot among dealers.
jaibir is offline  
Old 31st August 2008, 21:48   #2757
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,449
Thanked: 1,901 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
hi guys - just got the Sony A300 DSLR + 18-70 lens for 600$. Also ordered a SD-to-compactflash adapter from ebay (no way I'm going to plunk 2.5 K for a 4gb card!)

Just looking at all places to buy a backpack now (from India.. dont have anyone comin from the US now). I cant understand why India has no half decent camera bags... all of them imported and cost an arm and a leg - though I'm pretty sure all of them are stitched in Meerut or Jalandhar!
Using an adapter will make it really slow with most cheap adapters. When you are in burst mode, essentially your buffer will fill in 2-3 exposures at max. I'd not suggest using adapters with a DSLR.
reignofchaos is offline  
Old 31st August 2008, 22:57   #2758
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 24,320
Thanked: 25,682 Times
Default

After seeing Riju's recent pictures I am really pumped up for a wide angle lens for my North India trip. Right now I am limited to 28mm EFL. The only Olympus choice (7-14mm F/4) is too expensive at $1500, although it is the best, across all dSLR families, even Canon/Nikon users are known to buy a Olympus body just to use that lens.

The cheaper option is Sigma 10-20mm which is available for all dSLR families. What is the going grey market price in Bangalore for this lens?
Samurai is offline  
Old 31st August 2008, 23:14   #2759
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 23,513
Thanked: 19,429 Times
Default

Don't you have 12mm-60(24mm on your cam) already?
If you don't then sigma 10-20 is actually a good bet. Nice little lens for < 500$
Pretty commonly available in grey market for around 20K in India. SO Bangalore will definitely have it, However availability in OLY mount can be an issue
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 1st September 2008, 07:21   #2760
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 24,320
Thanked: 25,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Don't you have 12mm-60(24mm on your cam) already?
That was a $1000 lens then, so I didn't buy it with E3, besides I already had 14-54mm. Now it has come down to $788 on Amazon.

The trajedy of being in Olympus family is exactly this, I have to buy bodies and lenses without trying or even seeing them. Not that I have been disappointed until now. I guess I'll have to order and await the lens.
Samurai is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks