Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
hi everyone
There is a Nikon F65D kit for sale. Which includes the following:

1) Nikon F65 D body
2) 28-80 Nikkor lens
3) 70-300 Nikkor telephoto lens
4) UV & Polaroid filters for both the lenses

All the above for 8.5K negotiable. Its a five year old set. The owner claims to have used it for 60 - 70 rolls in total.

Though I am not interested in the SLR, I would like to buy a used DSLR(I think I should buy Nikon only)

So is it worth buying the above set and which Nikon DSLR(used) should I look at. Note that I am just a beginner in Photography. I have been using a Fuji S5100 for some time.

I have not fixed my budget(I am a bit tight on budget). What model Nikon(body only) I should look for and how much?

Also, how much can I get for my Fuji S5100. It was bought in May 2005 for $320 and the last image reads as DSCF6532. It was bundled with a 16MB XD card but bought a 256MB XD card(they were a bit expensive back then - $60 for 256MB). Also bought a camera bag (paid $15). We got an 55mm adapter ring along with the camera, which according to the manual can be used to fix converters.

PS: I would like to keep this one (if bought) for around a year or so and later upgrade.
If you really want a DSLR then spending on this kit doesn't make sense. Try and look for a used D70. That should cost you about 10-15k. The digital equivalent of a 28-80 zoom will set you back by about $100-150. The only part of this kit that will be useful with a DSLR is the 70-300. Try and buy that alone. Be wary of the price though because there are a number of versions of this lens from cheap to moderately expensive ($150-550). I personally think the one being sold is the cheap one.
Old 17th October 2008, 18:34   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
All these for just Rs.8.5K ???

Seems to be a super duper deal (or the owner doesnt know the value of the items)
Not really. Digital has killed the resale of film cameras. A normal zoom like the 28-80 is also pretty useless on digital unless you are shooting with a very expensive full-frame camera. Like I said, the only usable part of this kit on digital is the 70-300. And for a five-year old lens it shouldn't cost more than Rs. 3,000 (if its the cheap G version).
Old 18th October 2008, 17:46   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Not really. Digital has killed the resale of film cameras. A normal zoom like the 28-80 is also pretty useless on digital unless you are shooting with a very expensive full-frame camera. Like I said, the only usable part of this kit on digital is the 70-300. And for a five-year old lens it shouldn't cost more than Rs. 3,000 (if its the cheap G version).
I guess they are of G series, here are the model/series numbers:
Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300 mm 1:4-5.6G
Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80 mm 1:3.3-5.6G

I will contact the seller and see if he is willing to sell only the 70-300mm lens. Is there anything else I should look for considering this lens would be used on a DSLR?

and the filters are of Kenko.

To my query in a photography forum whether these lenses can be used on Nikon D40x, I got the answer as:
Quote:
the lenses can be used on a Nikon Digital Body. on a D40x they will do everything except AF
By the way, how much can I get a used Nikon D40 for which is in working condition for another two years ? (i guess D40 is the entry-level DSLR from Nikon). Any other used Nikon DSLR body I can look for?
Old 19th October 2008, 21:49   #2929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I guess they are of G series, here are the model/series numbers:
Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300 mm 1:4-5.6G
Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80 mm 1:3.3-5.6G

I will contact the seller and see if he is willing to sell only the 70-300mm lens. Is there anything else I should look for considering this lens would be used on a DSLR?

and the filters are of Kenko.

To my query in a photography forum whether these lenses can be used on Nikon D40x, I got the answer as:

the folks on the that forum were right. that is the key thing. on a D40 no AF. That is why I suggested a D70 - with that body you'll get AF with this lens. The filters are fine. Look out for fungus, scratches etc. Hold it up to a light and you'll be able to make out the condition. This lens sold for $110 new.

By the way, how much can I get a used Nikon D40 for which is in working condition for another two years ? (i guess D40 is the entry-level DSLR from Nikon). Any other used Nikon DSLR body I can look for?
The D40 was half the price of the D70. So a good condition used one should go for 10k or thereabouts. But you can get a decent condition D70 - a more capable camera - for a few thousands more.
Old 20th October 2008, 08:48   #2930
Team-BHP Support

Just upgraded from CS2, after skipping CS3 entirely.

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-untitled.jpg
Old 20th October 2008, 10:38   #2931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just upgraded from CS2, after skipping CS3 entirely.
Samu... You are the Man!!!

I am still running the trial version on all kind of machine that i get my hands on...
Old 20th October 2008, 11:12   #2932
Team-BHP Support

Well, there might be some initial hiccups though. Today morning I tried working on a raw file, I used the same workflow as before and ended up with bad result. I need to recalibrate my settings or even technique for CS4.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:27   #2933
Team-BHP Support

without a camera for now

I have given my 350D for servicing to Canon. They were running a free service camp(last day today 20th oct).
Service will include CMOS cleaning.
However they say it will take 10 days!!
I have put in a request to do it by friday, before diwali. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 20th October 2008, 13:32   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
I have given my 350D for servicing to Canon. They were running a free service camp(last day today 20th oct).
Service will include CMOS cleaning.
However they say it will take 10 days!!
I have put in a request to do it by friday, before diwali. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Hi tanveer
I'm goin there today( in bout 2 hours) to pick up my p&s. The DSLR was working just fine hence did not give that but if you want I can speak with the canon guys there to see if it can be done a bit sooner. I happen to know a few people there purely on a rapport basis
Old 20th October 2008, 13:36   #2935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Hi tanveer
I'm goin there today( in bout 2 hours) to pick up my p&s. The DSLR was working just fine hence did not give that but if you want I can speak with the canon guys there to see if it can be done a bit sooner. I happen to know a few people there purely on a rapport basis
thanks a ton.
Mine is a 350D and was given on Saturday. Name on slip is Tanveer Singh.
See if they can do it by thursday, since I am leaving town by friday!
Old 20th October 2008, 14:17   #2936
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
thanks a ton.
Mine is a 350D and was given on Saturday. Name on slip is Tanveer Singh.
See if they can do it by thursday, since I am leaving town by friday!
Got a call from canon! Sensor cleaning is done!! Yay
Old 20th October 2008, 21:43   #2937
BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from canon! Sensor cleaning is done!! Yay
Yeah. Priyanka mentioned that when I picked up mine. Click! click!

EDIT - For the rest of the guys, regarding my problem for the pox on the photo's, those are dust particles which are suspended in the air. For night shots ,he's advised me to turn the flash off and then take pictures.
Apprecaite everyone's support

Last edited by married2speed : 20th October 2008 at 21:45.
Old 21st October 2008, 11:24   #2938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amitoj,

You can try this for starters. It is just a two day course. I believe he is a Team-BHPian, but not a regular.

The Jungle Look/info/resources/photography-workshop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Sudhir is a very renowned bird photographer and I'm sure you can learn a lot from him. Also become a member of the photography forums as they normally contain huge information(just like our Team-bhp). and there are quite a few indian forums too such as Shutterfreeze,jjmehta and our bangalore based bangalore photography club.I've regularly been checking these forums and they've helped me a lot.The net is a awesome treasure of photography learning.And along with it ofcourse it helps to learn from an experienced photographer.
Sudhir is organising a workshop on the weekend of 8th and 9th in November. Details are here:

I am definitely going to attend this one.
Anyone else interested?

Amitoj
Old 21st October 2008, 11:25   #2939
Senior - BHPian

Digital Photography Workshop

Quote:
Amitoj,

You can try this for starters. It is just a two day course. I believe he is a Team-BHPian, but not a regular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Sudhir is a very renowned bird photographer and I'm sure you can learn a lot from him. Also become a member of the photography forums as they normally contain huge information(just like our Team-bhp). and there are quite a few indian forums too such as Shutterfreeze,jjmehta and our bangalore based bangalore photography club.I've regularly been checking these forums and they've helped me a lot.The net is a awesome treasure of photography learning.And along with it ofcourse it helps to learn from an experienced photographer.
Sudhir is organising a workshop on the weekend of 8th and 9th in November. Details are here:

I am definitely going to attend this one.
Anyone else interested?

Amitoj
Old 21st October 2008, 11:49   #2940
BHPian

am planning to buy a DSLR myself. Found a good site that does detailed reviews of cameras. Its called Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ.

am planning ot pick up the Canon EOS 1000D. price is between 29 to 31k.

Most Viewed